Could someone show me how this digital illustration/photo/rendering was done?

TF
Posted By
Tim_Francis
Sep 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ive seen this type of illustration for many years but now I want to know how to replicate it.

Obviously it is a photograph, but what has been done to it to give it that computer rendered feel? I can see the added star flares and gradients around certain things.

< http://users.ncable.net.au/~timfrancis/rossi_digital_illustr ation.jpg>

If anyone know any good tutorials on this technique would be great.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 12, 2006
As a first guess I’d say it was done in an vector program using a photograph as a model.

You could get the same effect using a variety of filters in Photoshop but both methods require a lot of skill and patience.

I doubt whether there is a Photoshop tutorial to cover it but could be wrong.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 12, 2006
Because this has been scanned from a magazine, the dot pattern is to a certain extent masking the "clues" within the image.

My guess would be that the bike and rider were photographed in the studio to get the clarity and lighting control. Then it would have been extracted from the background which was replaced with the current one and the reflection/shadows manufactured in Photoshop.
TF
Tim_Francis
Sep 12, 2006
Hi guys I just checked their website and it is on there as well you want another view of it.

<http://www.grandprix.com.au/>
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 12, 2006
My guess would be that the bike and rider were photographed in the studio to get the clarity and lighting control. Then it would have been extracted from the background which was replaced with the current one and the reflection/shadows manufactured in Photoshop.

Or the bike and rider may have been placed on a reflective surface. (Easy enough to prop the bike in position and have the rider hold that position)
BG
barry_gray
Sep 12, 2006
That doesn’t look like a true reflection to me-bet it was "shopped".
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 12, 2006
Just downloaded it, flipped a copy and compared. You’re right.

Guess I just like assume people would shoot things properly. (Yes, I know: How stupid of me….)
AC
Art Campbell
Sep 12, 2006
I think Barry’s right. Might be / looks like the "flood" plugin, with all wave action turned off.

Art
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 12, 2006
A simple flip of the image did it for me (set the layer to difference mode and see just how amazingly well the image and it’s reflection match…)
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 12, 2006
The way the tire blends in is a clue as well. Most motorcycle tires are round. It makes for a smoother ride.
BG
barry_gray
Sep 12, 2006
Actually you needn’t go through all the flipping etc.
A true reflection would show the undersides of the object and be quite obviously different.
D
DanEngel
Sep 13, 2006
I definitely concur. The image was mirrored and began as a track-side photo shot through a 600mm Canon prime lens at f8 & 1/3000 shutter speed. (Just kidding about the details-I’m watching an episode of CSI in the studio as I type this and just got a bit carried away)
I don’t think this shot was done in a studio for a number of reasons and with a 600mm Canon prime lens this would be a much easier track-side shot than studio…
As far as the illustration styling of the shot; I have achieved very similar results using the Smart blur effect in PS. A couple of star flares & some white airbrushed highlights (making sure they look airbrushed) and voila…should get you close. Having the detail in the original shot is paramount for that effect however-otherwise the smart blur effect can’t detect & harden up the edges for you.
TF
Tim_Francis
Sep 21, 2006
Yeah its the illustration type I am more curious about (not the reflection on the ground)

If you look at the clear shield at the front of the bike, you can tell that its not a photograph but looks almost like a painting of some sort, Dan you think this is done via smart blur and a soft air brush tool?
AA
Art as Servant
Sep 21, 2006
Greetings,
As a Photographer, I can give you my opinion of how it was done… Or at least my diagnosis, based on how I would have accomplished it…

the bike is much closer to vertical for the original photograph, and yes, I can with relative certatinty say it is a photo… by it’s appearance, and luminance, and other intangible qualities, that are hard to describe, for the same reason that I can tell when something is shot on TV in video, or film, I can usually tell which one was shot on film…

The bike was much closer to normal verticality, the rider leaned over to ‘look’ like he was doing so on the ‘track’. it is obviously shot outside, given the specularity of sone reflections, and the sharp shadows, and the shadows are filled masterfully with reflectors and other lighting control devices, possibly including strobe lighting.

The Lens was probably even a normal-ish focal length, maybe a short-ish telephoto, but certainly not a very long telephoto like a 600mm.

The rest is easy, just rotate the image, bring ion the elements of the blue and white tarp, select it, feather it, blur it, etc… and then take the bike, copy it, invert it, to become the reflection, feather the edges so it looks soft not, give it some blur, surface reflection blur, all over another background, on the ground, contrived to be black like asphalt…

THe sky reflected in the windshield leads me to believe that much of the light/white clored element behind the bike, looking like grayish stuf/smoke even, is most likely the clouds in the sky, but tilted like this, they appear more to be the horizon, but the aren’t the right color for the horizon, so this points back to the bike being vertical when shot, and these clouds are fairly high in the sky, which looks right.

Back to the reflection of the bike, you can tell that it is a photoshop manipulated reflection, because the reflection image is from the same perspective as the original photograph. If it had been a true reflection, you would see differences to what you saw, especially the letters of "YAMAHA" would present themselves from a much lower angle, and the tops of the letters may get cropped off.

I could see about 1.5- 2.5 hours of photography, and about one – two hours retouching, depending on the skill level of the retoucher, provided that you had the blue and white tarp image to drop into the composite.

All the best to you in your learning path… 🙂

Paul Kiler

www.kilerphoto.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections