R
Posted By
rdoc2
Sep 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am in need of some help with my settings in Photoshop CS2. If I go to the edit menu in PS CS2 and select Convert to Profile I am not sure what to use in: Destination Space: Profile (right now I have BJ Color Printer Profile 2000. I am using Windows 2000 Pro and a Canon Ink Jet i960. I have selected Engine Adobe (ACE) and for Intent: Colorimetric. I have selected: Black Point Compensation and Other.
Now are these the best settings that I should use or am I using the wrong ones? Lastly when I select Print with Preview I have selected Color Management and let the Printer Determine Colors.
Are the above setting what I should use or can someone suggest settings that I should use instead of the ones I have chosen.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
bmoag
Sep 10, 2006
It appears that you do not understand the basics of color management, let alone monitor calibration, and I urge you to search the web for video tutorials (there are many) that will walk your through the basics. It is well worth learning if you want to generate high quality prints. Simplify your workflow and just make sure that all images are processed in AdobeRGB color space.
These instructions come directly from Canon.
Noe that with your Canon printer you really have profiles for only two paper surfaces, matte and glossy, because that is all that Canon markets. Whether even these profiles are reliable is for you to judge once you master the process. Note that for some arbitrary reason Canon did not clearly label the paper surfaces with their profiles but uses an illogical code system. If you become familiar with and enthused about color managed printing think about making your next printer an Epson. Pixma printers are rebadged i9x technology and inks. I will warn you that the Canon glossy paper profiles cannot be used with other glossy papers because the resulting print will be off color, but you should experiment.

Color Management with 960 Printer1. Open the image file recorded in Adobe RGB color space.2. Associate the Adobe RGB ICC profile with the image. Check [Adobe RGB (1998)] in [Image] –> [Mode] –> [Assign Profile…], then click [OK].

3. Set Color Management in Print with Preview. 3-1. Check that [Source Space] is set to [Adobe RGB (1998)]. 3-2. Set [Print Space] to [Printer Color Management]. 3-3. Click [Print…]. 4. Set up the printer driver. 4-1. Set [Media Type] and [Print Quality]. Dedicated ICC profiles are provided for three different media types. For normal use, set [Media Type] to one of the following: Photo Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and Matte Photo Paper. Set the desired [Print Quality]. Note: the procedures described here for entering settings also apply when using media types other than those listed here. 4-2. Select
[Manual] in [Color Adjustment], then click [Set…]. Check [Enable ICM] in
the [Manual Color Adjustment] window. [Enable ICM] is not available in Windows 95. For Macintosh computers, select [ColorSync] in [Color Correction]. 5. Print. The image is printed with the print quality and on the media type set in [4-1]II. Printing using intents to suit requirements. Photoshop includes four different intents. Using dedicated ICC profiles, modify the intents as follows for different print objectives:1. Open an image recorded in Adobe RGB color space.2. Associate the Adobe RGB ICC profile with the image. Check [Adobe RGB (1998)] in
[Image] –> [Mode] –> [Assign Profile…], then click [OK].3. Set Color
Management in Print with Preview. 3-1. Check that [Source Space] is set to [Adobe RGB (1988)]. 3-2. Select [Profile] in [Print Space].The following dedicated ICC profiles are available: PR1, PR2, SP2, SP4, and MP2. The letters indicate media type. MP Matte Photo Paper
PR Photo Paper Pro
SP Photo Paper Plus Glossy

The numbers indicate print quality. If there is no ICC profile for a particular number available in the print quality bar, use a higher printquality number than the number currently selected. For example, SP3 is selectable in the print quality tool bar, but is not available in the ICC profile, so use SP2 instead. 3-3. Select [Intent] in [Print Space]. The following intents are availablePerceptual Suitable for photo images, giving attractive gradation reproduction. Matches colors to ensure that viewed colors are almost identical to original colors.
Saturation Renders the vividness of the original data. Hue is not emphasized. Suitable for business documents.
Relative Colorimetric Shifts colors based on the white point of the destination color space. Otherwise identical to Absolute Colorimetric. Absolute Colorimetric Emphasizes accurate retention of colors in both the original and converted color spaces.

3-4. Uncheck [Use Black Point Compensation]. 3-5. Click
[Print..]. 4. Set up the printer driver. 4-1. Set [Media Type] and
[Print Quality]. Set the same dedicated ICC profile selected in [3-2]. 4-2 Select [Manual] in [Color Adjustment] and click [Set]. Set [Print Type] to [None].5. Print. The image is printed using the dedicated ICC profile selected in [3-2] and the intent selected in [3-3].
R
rdoc2
Sep 11, 2006
bmoag wrote:
It appears that you do not understand the basics of color management, let alone monitor calibration, and I urge you to search the web for video tutorials (there are many) that will walk your through the basics. It is well worth learning if you want to generate high quality prints. Simplify your workflow and just make sure that all images are processed in AdobeRGB color space.
These instructions come directly from Canon.
Noe that with your Canon printer you really have profiles for only two paper surfaces, matte and glossy, because that is all that Canon markets. Whether even these profiles are reliable is for you to judge once you master the process. Note that for some arbitrary reason Canon did not clearly label the paper surfaces with their profiles but uses an illogical code system. If you become familiar with and enthused about color managed printing think about making your next printer an Epson. Pixma printers are rebadged i9x technology and inks. I will warn you that the Canon glossy paper profiles cannot be used with other glossy papers because the resulting print will be off color, but you should experiment.

Color Management with 960 Printer1. Open the image file recorded in Adobe RGB color space.2. Associate the Adobe RGB ICC profile with the image. Check [Adobe RGB (1998)] in [Image] –> [Mode] –> [Assign Profile…], then click [OK].

3. Set Color Management in Print with Preview. 3-1. Check that [Source Space] is set to [Adobe RGB (1998)]. 3-2. Set [Print Space] to [Printer Color Management]. 3-3. Click [Print…]. 4. Set up the printer driver. 4-1. Set [Media Type] and [Print Quality]. Dedicated ICC profiles are provided for three different media types. For normal use, set [Media Type] to one of the following: Photo Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and Matte Photo Paper. Set the desired [Print Quality]. Note: the procedures described here for entering settings also apply when using media types other than those listed here. 4-2. Select
[Manual] in [Color Adjustment], then click [Set…]. Check [Enable ICM] in
the [Manual Color Adjustment] window. [Enable ICM] is not available in Windows 95. For Macintosh computers, select [ColorSync] in [Color Correction]. 5. Print. The image is printed with the print quality and on the media type set in [4-1]II. Printing using intents to suit requirements. Photoshop includes four different intents. Using dedicated ICC profiles, modify the intents as follows for different print objectives:1. Open an image recorded in Adobe RGB color space.2. Associate the Adobe RGB ICC profile with the image. Check [Adobe RGB (1998)] in
[Image] –> [Mode] –> [Assign Profile…], then click [OK].3. Set Color
Management in Print with Preview. 3-1. Check that [Source Space] is set to [Adobe RGB (1988)]. 3-2. Select [Profile] in [Print Space].The following dedicated ICC profiles are available: PR1, PR2, SP2, SP4, and MP2. The letters indicate media type. MP Matte Photo Paper
PR Photo Paper Pro
SP Photo Paper Plus Glossy

The numbers indicate print quality. If there is no ICC profile for a particular number available in the print quality bar, use a higher printquality number than the number currently selected. For example, SP3 is selectable in the print quality tool bar, but is not available in the ICC profile, so use SP2 instead. 3-3. Select [Intent] in [Print Space]. The following intents are availablePerceptual Suitable for photo images, giving attractive gradation reproduction. Matches colors to ensure that viewed colors are almost identical to original colors.
Saturation Renders the vividness of the original data. Hue is not emphasized. Suitable for business documents.
Relative Colorimetric Shifts colors based on the white point of the destination color space. Otherwise identical to Absolute Colorimetric. Absolute Colorimetric Emphasizes accurate retention of colors in both the original and converted color spaces.

3-4. Uncheck [Use Black Point Compensation]. 3-5. Click
[Print..]. 4. Set up the printer driver. 4-1. Set [Media Type] and
[Print Quality]. Set the same dedicated ICC profile selected in [3-2]. 4-2 Select [Manual] in [Color Adjustment] and click [Set]. Set [Print Type] to [None].5. Print. The image is printed using the dedicated ICC profile selected in [3-2] and the intent selected in [3-3].
Thank you for such a complete reply it is really appreciated. I can follow it pretty well. Could you give me the URL of a good video tutorial that you suggested up above? Or even a good search for suggestion?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections