JC
Posted By
Joshua_Corum
Jul 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been have this problem more consistently now the long I use CS2. I can create a new document and place a base image in and save. When I close the document and then try to re-open it I get the following Error

"Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document"

Can anyone tell me if Im doing something wrong in creating the documents or if it is much more serious than that.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
James_Holz
Jul 20, 2006
We experience this message quite frequently:

"Could not complete request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop".

Photoshop (.psd) layered files are created and saved to a network location. The file is then flattened/saved to Photoshop EPS. When Photoshop layered file is opened at a later date we receive the error message above.

All operators using Mac OS 10.4.7 / Photoshop CS 2 v9.01

jh
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2006
Jashua,

You have two things going on.

1. You are saving a file with no extention or the incorrect extention. ie .tif .psd If you have a file that is a tif and is actually a psd – it will give you this error dlog.

2. The file is damaged when saved to disk and you throw it away.

James,

Find out what PS version your files are coming from.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2006
Saving over a network is most likely corrupting the files
R
Ram
Jul 20, 2006
Make sure you are NOT running Norton anything.
JC
Joshua_Corum
Jul 24, 2006
I have had this problem both over networks and localy on my computer its self. My extentions are correct that I know of. There is no norton of anykind running on my local machine.

I got a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with 1.5 GB of ram and running OSX 10.4.6. Im running Photoshop CS2 build 9.0.1
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2006
Well first off you need to update to 10.4.7 to fix apple’s printing bug.
JM
john_marvin
Aug 1, 2006
Just installed a G5 dual 2.3 running 10.4.7 and am getting the following error:

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop.

Norton is not installed, and am getting the error saving to local drive or to the network. Is there a fix? We are not seeing this error on any 10.3.x machines only 10.4.7.

John Marvin
P
progress
Aug 1, 2006
check the extensions of the file you are saving is the same as the format you are saving…unlike loads of other applications, PS isnt smart enough to save a file as a jpeg when you add .jpg but its dumb enough to assume it is one when it opens a file with .jpg when it isnt…

its not a bug, its a feature…
BC
betsy_cohen
Aug 2, 2006
hi – I’m getting the same error message when I try to open a psd that I last edited and saved on this same machine, in this same version of photoshop.

"Could not open… because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop."

It’s never even been opened on a different machine or with a different version of Photoshop.

I have a backup, but it’s doing the same thing. I need this file – what do I do? No Norton, and I’m on a PC. Please help 🙂

Sonora
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2006
Sonora,

Try the Photoshop Windows forum CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b366>
JC
Joshua_Corum
Aug 2, 2006
I have found that 90% of this problem is the extension such as .jpg or .tif. Photoshop assumes that all files it saves, if created, as a new document in Photoshop, is a psd file. If you "save as" and click on a file with a jpeg extension it will change your psd file extension to a jpeg extension keeping the psd information but disabling Photoshop from opening it. Just try changing the extension back to a psd.

Sad to say that if your file is giving you the error and your extension is psd then try changing it to .jpg or .tif, but be aware that your file will be flattened and all layer and channel information is lost.

This works for local machines. Saving over a network seems to corrupts the files completely if this error is given from a network file.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Aug 2, 2006
Sad to say that if your file is giving you the error and your extension is psd then try changing it to .jpg or .tif, but be aware that your file will be flattened and all layer and channel information is lost.

That’s a bit of a misstatement.

If you can open the file by adding the .jpg extension, then the file was a JPEG to begin with and thus could not have layers.
JA
James Alva
Aug 24, 2006
We’ve been experiencing this same problem since we upgraded to cs2 last year…I have 19 mac workstations all running cs2 with one g4 running 7.0. For us it is almost always a font that isn’t open on a specific layer. They usually will open in 7.0 just fine. Try opening it in a lower version of photoshop, then find the corrupt layer, delete it and resave. After it should open in CS2 just fine.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2006
You might want to try using FontAgent Pro as a font manager because it activates needed fonts on the fly.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
FontAgent Pro is also great at ferreting out problem fonts,
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 4, 2006
We have a mixed environment. We do not have NAV. We have no bad files with hacks.

I donno…..our shop is a swamp of junk with no PC death.
J
jojojojojo
Feb 8, 2007
I just attempted to transfer a bunch of .psd files from a Mac G3 using OSX (I think) with the latest Photoshop version, via a brand new flash drive and when I had placed these files onto my pc laptop with Adobe CS2 it came up with the following error when trying to open these files…

"Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document."

Is there anything I can do to be able to open these files with the layers in tact?
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2007
Something went wrong during the copying process.

Copy them onto the flash drive again, then copy them from the flash drive to your desktop. This last step should not be necessary, but it’s a good way to make sure the files get to your PC laptop intact.
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2007
Of course, make sure the file names include the ".psd" extension.
J
jojojojojo
Feb 9, 2007
It’s still not working. I re-transfered the files onto the desktop and it’s still coming up with the same error. Is it something to do with the transfer from a MAC to PC? The files still open fine on the mac.
R
Ram
Feb 9, 2007
You have not addressed the suggestions mentioned in other posts in this thread. You have not commented on my post #29.

We know next to nothing about your OS, the exact version of Photoshop, your machines…

There are no mind readers on this forum.
R
Ram
Feb 9, 2007
And it’s not a "MAC", it’s Mac, for Macintosh.

MAC has a different meaning in computing (Modular Access Control).
B
Buko
Feb 9, 2007
Its Mac

MAC means something completely different.

are you saving files with maximum compatibility ?

Do the files have the .PSD extension
R
Ram
Feb 9, 2007
We don’t even know the versions of Photoshop in both machines.

There was a bug in Photoshop 6, for instance, that prevents some files created in Photoshop 6 from opening in Photoshop 8 (CS).
J
jojojojojo
Feb 9, 2007
I’m sorry, I just thought someone else may have had the same problem and there might be a quick generic way to fix it. The Mac is running Photoshop CS version 8.0 on OSX. The Pc is Photoshop CS2.
All the files that I have tried to open on the Pc after transferring them via the flash drive have been .psd files with separated layers.
R
Ram
Feb 9, 2007
Have you been saving those files with "Maximize Compatibility" checked?

Where and how were those files created?

OSX what? 10.4.8?

CS2 what? 9.0.2?

Is NAV involved here somehow? NAV = Norton Anti Virus is known to damage Photoshop files.

Did you read the whole thread? Again, are you keeping the file extensions?

It’s like pulling teeth here…
R
Ram
Feb 9, 2007
Are you sure you copied the image files and not just some aliases?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections