CD
Posted By
CJ_Dennis
Sep 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I assign a hot key to a PS action and then give that action to a colleague what would happen if they had already assigned that HotKey combination to an existing action of their own?

On a second point is there any way to increase the number of possible PS hotkeys that can be assigned to actions? Over the years I have accumulated hundreds of actions both commercial and free – more than there are hotkeys available. I know I should delete the rubbish but I’m a "hoarder".

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 8, 2006
Manage your actions.

this means:

1) You don’t need to load all of them all the time

2) You really should only assign hotkeys to those you use the most (assuming 12 F-keys, that’s 48 actions) selecting the other ones from the action palette won’t hurt you <g>
DR
Danny Raphael
Sep 8, 2006
If I assign a hot key to a PS action and then give that action to a colleague what would happen if they had already assigned that HotKey combination to an existing action of their own?

The keyboard shortcut will play "the colleage’s" action.

Why? During the Load actions… process Photoshop detects keyboard shortcuts that are already assigned to actions in the Actions Palette. When this occurs the duplicate keyboard shortcut is reset to "None," undoing the assignment you made.
CD
CJ_Dennis
Sep 8, 2006
Many thanks Danny, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to mess things up on another computer. Following on from this am I correct to assume that if the hotkey is not already assigned on the 2nd computer then my assigned hotkeys will be carried over.

PS
I know I should manage my actions better, but its like life – "I’ll get organized one day."
DR
Danny Raphael
Sep 10, 2006
am I correct to assume that if the hotkey is not already assigned on the 2nd computer then my assigned hotkeys will be carried over.

You may so assume. 🙂

I know I should manage my actions better, but its like life – "I’ll get organized one day."

May I suggest you look into a nifty, low cost add-on called ActionDex (Nothing else like it.)

From <http://www.picstobits.com/adex_intro.php>:
* Organize your actions into categories (including nested categories and having the same action appear in multiple categories).
* Easily move, copy, and delete actions and categories… no need to try and organize actions in the actions palette anymore!
* Associate your own notes with actions.
* Rate each action so you can quickly find your favorites. * Associate a preview image with each action so you can easily see what it does. * Keep track of the author, web site, and other information about an action. * View all the "stop messages" in an action, even while the action is executing (no more wishing you had paid attention to those instructions before clicking "Continue"!)
* Keep track of all this information even for actions you have unloaded from Photoshop. * Provide author name, web site, and extended notes with actions you write and share with others. * With a single mouse click toggle between a large view window showing action details and a small window that uses minimal screen space but provides full access to your categories and actions.
* Execute actions in Photoshop.
* Backup the actions palette.

========

Happy action playing…

~Danny~
CD
CJ_Dennis
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks for the help and the link – I’ll check it out.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections