DH
Posted By
Donna_Hanken
Jul 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason I keep experiencing banding/posterization in my images in CS2. They look like the following link.

<http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=posterization>

This has never happened before until recently. The problem appears to be temporary and only happens in CS2. I’ve closed images and reopened them and the problem goes away, but why is it happening in the first place? Histogram looks fine. I’m wondering if I inadvertently changed a setting or something??

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
John_Slate
Jul 19, 2006
In your Mac’s System Preferences>Displays is "Colors" set to millions?
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 19, 2006
Yes, it’s set to millions. That is the first thing I checked. But it’s only happening in photoshop, not the entire monitor, and not all images are effected. It happened the other day and went away and now it’s back..very mysterious..
JS
John_Slate
Jul 19, 2006
Can you crop out a section of one of the problem files that shows the problem and post it on Pixentral at full resolution?
JS
John_Slate
Jul 19, 2006
what do you mean by "not the entire monitor"?

does the banding go away if you move the image window around???
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 19, 2006
what do you mean by "not the entire monitor"?

Meaning the desktop or other open images are not effected. Unfortunatley, I don’t have that file open anymore, but I did make a screen shot of a section of the image, but it is not at full res. This happened a couple of days ago and then everything was back to normal. This is the second time so it may very well happen again. One thing I did notice when I was saving it the last time was it said the embedded profile was my EyeOne profile, it usually says Adobe RGB or sRGB (depends). I use an EyeOne to calibrate my monitor, don’t know if that makes a difference?? What format should I save it in next time?

Here’s what I have for now if you want to take a look. BTW my histogram was fine in the OG file.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1PTnmr8qn1t2igFlks GVKOoCDj8JCe>
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2006
Bad video card?
R
Ram
Jul 19, 2006
Does the banding print?
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 20, 2006
It’s back…affecting only one particular image. The banding does not print and does not show up when I upload to pixentral. It does not show up in the save as file especially if I wait a few minutes to reopen it. My display is still at millions.

I’ve been using PS for a couple years now and never had this problem before. If it’s the video card wouldn’t it affect the entire monitor, every image, and how websites appear, rather than a single image at a time? What does replacing a video card entail?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 21, 2006
The banding does not print and does not show up when I upload to pixentral.

Speculation: If it doesn’t show up in non-colour managed applications, then maybe the monitor profile is the problem?
D
DYP
Jul 21, 2006
Most likely a bad monitor profile.
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 23, 2006
How do you get a bad monitor profile? I used my EyeOne to calibrate my monitor, the profile it came up w/ is my "monitor profile," correct? I made several profiles w/ the EyeOne and the one I’m currently using matches my prints closest. If it doesn’t affect every image and the problem goes away, this indicates a monitor profile problem?
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2006
I doesn’t sound like a bad profile if this is the only pic that does this. I would remake the profile again none the less because profiles do go corrupt.
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2006
I made several profiles w/ the EyeOne and the one I’m currently using matches my prints closest.

That sounds very ominous. Care to elaborate? Why "several"? Why are you matching a monitor profile to your prints? :/
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 24, 2006
Maybe I’m not using the correct terminology. When I use my EyeOne to calibrate my monitor, is the resulting profile considered my monitor profile? If so, I made several of these profiles either in "easy mode" where the device makes the profile for me automatically, I used 5000K and 2.0, 6500K and 2.2, etc. I did this to try and find the best match to my lab prints. Why? Because my main goal for calibrating is to have my lab prints match my monitor as close as possible.

And yes, on any given day (lately) one or two pictures will be affected by banding/posterization. Those pictures will be fine when I close/reopen them. This has been going on for about a week. My display has been acting wacky. For example, I didn’t have the brightness slider in Preferences>Displays, then I did, and now I don’t again.
LW
L_Wynyard
Jul 24, 2006
You should NOT be using a monitor profile as your RGB working space in PS nor converting to your file to it. When you make your monitor profile you need to do nothing more. PS will find the monitor profile and display images using it on the fly – no user intervention is required. Make sure your RGB working space is set to AdobeRGB and your problems will be gone.
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 24, 2006
You should NOT be using a monitor profile as your RGB working space in PS nor converting to your file to it. When you make your monitor profile you need to do nothing more. PS will find the monitor profile and display images using it on the fly – no user intervention is required. Make sure your RGB working space is set to AdobeRGB and your problems will be gone.

This IS exactly what I have always done. My RGB working space IS Adobe RGB (1998), and I have never changed that. However, I did once notice when I was doing a Save As of an affected file it said the embedded profile was my EyeOne profile. I have no idea why??
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jul 24, 2006
Donna – look into your color settings and tell us what they are and what the management/conversion policies are
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 24, 2006
North American Prepress 2
U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Dot Gain 20%
Dot Gain 20%

Preserve Embedded Profiles
" "
" "
Ask when opening

I got this out of a Scott Kelby book as he stated it was appropriate for photography. However, the final jpeg I send to my online lab gets converted to sRGB as that’s what they require.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2006
What about THE REST of your color settings?
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 24, 2006
Oops, never used those settings before, not sure what they’re for. But this is what it says:

Conversion Options

Engine – Adobe (ACE)
Intent – Relative Colormetric

Use Black Point Compensation
Use Dither (8-bit/channel Images)

The advanced controls, "desaturate monitor.." and "blend RGB…" are unchecked.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2006
Donna,

The image you posted at Pixentral has a custom EyeOne profile embedded (EyeOneAdv(6500)_2-3-06j 8bc. This is just NOT right.

Make sure your RGB color setting actually says Adobe RGB, like this:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Y4JPs58YJeLBoq5Lw Qk3L1cEavI330>
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 25, 2006
Where it says settings, mine said North America Prepress 2, and I changed it to custom. Other than that my color settings are EXACTLY the same as the one you have posted and always have been. I have never changed it. When I did a SaveAs of one of the affected images I noticed it said the embedded profile was the EyeOne profile. Why this is, I have no idea?? I do know that I never had this problem until I started using the EyeOne a couple of weeks ago, so there’s a glitch somewhere. I’m just glad it doesn’t seem to affect my images permanently.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2006
Donna,

In post #18, you wrote:

North American Prepress 2

U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2

Dot Gain 20%

Dot Gain 20%

Preserve Embedded Profiles

" "

" "

Ask when opening

Now in #22, you say:

Where it says settings, mine said North America Prepress 2, and I changed it to custom. Other than that my color settings are EXACTLY the same as the one you have posted and always have been.

Make absolutely certain your "RGB:" setting actually says "Adobe RGB (1998)". That will be your working space.

The reason you see your EyeOne profile embedded in some of your images is either (a) that you converted your image to your monitor profile at some point, or (b) that you had your "RGB:" setting set to said EyeOne profile. That could happen without your noticing it if you accidentally hit the Save button in the Edit Color Settings dialog box and saved it under some name (perhaps "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2" or "Custom") thereby overriding the defaults. If that happened, your working space would be one of your EyeOne profiles, which is something you do not want to do.
B
Buko
Jul 25, 2006
Donna I use an Eye-One and have never had my monitor profile mysteriously be my working space.
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 25, 2006
I switched it from North American Prepress 2 to custom yesterday. Other than that I have not even been in the color settings dialog box in months. Yes, it does say Adobe RGB (1998) just as it has for the past year or more. My other settings are exactly like the example Ramon posted. Anyway, I will keep a close eye on it to see if I’m inadvertently converting it somehow.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2006
Donna,

We’re not communicating here. I’ll just note that your posts 22 and 25 are inconsistent with your #18, and quietly back away from this discussion.
DH
Donna_Hanken
Jul 25, 2006
Yep, You are correct. I just looked at post #18 and apparently I just skipped right over the RGB setting-the most important part of the whole question. But it is Adobe RGB (1998) as it always has been.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections