J
Posted By
JM
Sep 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on some flyers in PS 7.0. Each document contains approximately 15 scanned business cards. After I get the scanned images positioned relatively, I have to resize the images so that I make the best use of my space. I usually hit "Ctrl + T" for free transform and size that way. Sometimes I go through the process many times for each image.

Does this reduce this pixel count, resolution, or otherwise degrade the image quality?

thank you,

jm

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Sep 7, 2006
"JM" wrote in message
I am working on some flyers in PS 7.0. Each document contains approximately 15 scanned business cards. After I get the scanned images positioned relatively, I have to resize the images so that I make the best use of my space. I usually hit "Ctrl + T" for free transform and size that way. Sometimes I go through the process many times for each image.
Does this reduce this pixel count, resolution, or otherwise degrade the image quality?

thank you,
Yes,

MH
J
JM
Sep 7, 2006
thank you. is there a better way to resize for what i’m doing?

jm

"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
"JM" wrote in message

thank you,
Yes,

MH
MH
Mike Hyndman
Sep 7, 2006
"JM" wrote in message
thank you. is there a better way to resize for what i’m doing?

JM,

Sorry if my answer seemed flippant but different problems require different solutions and if your method works for you, then why change it? If you do use the Transform option a lot, try and get the size right first time, before you commit the changes. The problems are caused when you make a selection smaller(larger), commit it and then try and make it bigger (smaller)again. You have removed (inserted)pixels in the first instance and then asked PS to "guess" what pixels, based on their neighbours values, it needs to put back in(remove) to achieve the required size. Another method would be to use the Image>>Image Size and if making bigger, use Bicubic Smoother, which is good method for enlarging images based on Bicubic interpolation but designed to produce smoother results ; or, Bicubic Sharper if going smaller, which is a good method for reducing the size of an image based on Bicubic interpolation with enhanced sharpening. This method maintains the detail in a resampled image. If Bicubic Sharper oversharpens some areas of an image, try using Bicubic.
That said, neither is supposed to be as good as the "resizing" filter that is found in tthe free Irfanview graphics prog, the Lanczos filter.

Your problem with business cards is likely to be pixelation of any text that is present on the cards and I have known of others, who scan business cards, adjusting the sizes and then retyping the text to suit.

HTH
Mike H

"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
"JM" wrote in message

thank you,
Yes,

MH

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections