LD
Posted By
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two images of dissimilar scenes. However, both contain water. I need to replicate the deep blue water of Image Two so as to change the color of the water in Image One to match it. I have tried to do this using the color sampler tool and the eye dropper but with no success.

Can someone help please or otherwise point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DK
Doug_Katz
Jul 17, 2006
Does your version have the Match Color command?
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 17, 2006
Yes, it does. I should have mentioned that I am using Photoshop CS2.
DK
Doug_Katz
Jul 17, 2006
That’s an excellent command for your task.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 17, 2006
Hi Doug,

That works to an extent, but I thought there was a method using the color sampler tool to accomplish this with, no?

Thank you!
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
Have you tried the Replace Color Adjustment?

Image menu > Adjustments > Replace Color…

(Just asking)
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
Alternatively, you could try a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer, masked as appropriate.
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
I almost forgot the Color replacement tool itself (hold down your cursor over the brush tool).
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 18, 2006
Yep, tried that but am not having much success with it unfortunately.

There has to be a way to copy the color of that water from the Source to the Target; I just haven’t found it yet.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 18, 2006
Ramon, thank you for all the input as it is appreciated. I’m going to have to hit the books on this one; I can’t believe it would be this difficult taking that blue water from the Source and merging it over to the Target…
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 18, 2006
Doug, any other ideas come to mind?

Thanks!
RM
Rick McCleary
Jul 18, 2006
There are many ways to do what you want. All the techniques suggested so far should work.

If given that task, here’s what I would do:
1) Make a selection of the color area you want to change (probably using Select > Color Range)
2) Create a Curves adjustment layer using that selection
3) With the Curves dialog box open, Shift-Command click in the image area on the water color you want to change. This will put anchor points on each of the R, G, and B channels in the Curves dialog.
4) Toggle through the channels (Command-1, Command-2, Command-3) and adjust the anchor points up and down using the arrow keys until the desired color is achieved.

You can eye-ball it by having both files open side-by-side. Or you can be more scientific and go for a specific RGB value using the Info palette.

If that doesn’t work, I’ve got 4 or 5 other approaches up my sleeve I’d try.

Many ways to skin a cat here.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 22, 2006
Sigh. I am getting nowhwere fast. Can you share one of the other four or five approaches you mention?

I’ve gone through ‘Photoshop CS2 Bible’, several of Scott Kelby’s books, etc…but no luck.

I can’t believe it would be this involved to take the water from the Source Image and replicate it at the Target.

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lyman
JS
John_Slate
Jul 22, 2006
Can you copy the water image itself from one file to the other?
RM
Rick McCleary
Jul 22, 2006
Post the two images in question so we can have a look.
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Jul 22, 2006
Thanks Rick! I need the color of the water in Target.Jpg to match that of Source.Jpg. How do I post images to this Forum? Best, Lyman
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 22, 2006

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections