L
Posted By
Lundberg02
Jul 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The dpi spec for modern inkjets is almost unrelated to the image ppi, because the dots are used in an imagesetter-like manner. When you send a 300ppi image to a 4800 dpi printer, the stochastic and dot size algorithms work very hard to give you a near photo quality print.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

E
ERock
Jul 17, 2006
So I should attempt to get a professional hi-res scan, as opposed to the 1200 dpi I can produce here?

Another question: would Streamline be useful here? I have an old, Classic-only version, but would upgrade if it would work – even somewhat – on this problem.
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
Streamline has been dead for a while.

Try LiveTrace in Illustrator:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/index.html>
E
ERock
Jul 17, 2006
oog; I knew that about streamline…guess the heat’s getting to my brain. Live Trace is a CS@ thing, and I’m running CS. May have to upgrade. I’m amazed this is so hard to do.
Thanks for all advice, as ever. One last: would it be considered cross-posting or generally bad behaviour if I also checked in with the Illustrator forum?
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
Try running your copy of Streamline in Classic.
E
ERock
Jul 18, 2006
I was just thinking of doing that. Also, I found a PS Action offered on this site called Vectorize that actually seems to work really well (see: ‘Vectorize – A Quick Tutorial (by Mathias and Pierre’). And if necessary, my beloved nephew has offered to run it through Live Trace for me as well. (wonderful, charming boy.) Anyway, something will work. Thanks again for the help. I’ll be back howling if all fails.

thanks all –

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections