Jul 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m no expert – but I play one on TV.

hack job….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 16, 2006
The bright sun that lights the water scene would create totally different (harsh, uni-directional) lighting than what lit the model.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jul 16, 2006
One could certainly create their own lighting arrangement on the model independent of any ambient light falling on the scene, so the lighting evaluation is not totally true in my mind. you could easily create a screened or scrim area using a tent like shelter,and then use any number of flashes to create any scenario you were so inclined to try.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 16, 2006
But Donald, in this case the photographer would have had to have had at least three assistants wading around in the surf holding slaved electronic flash-heads.

I am fairly certain that he didn’t do thatΒ… .

πŸ˜‰
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jul 16, 2006
I don’t doubt it is a composite (since it was already reported as such by the photographer), but with regard to the lighting (and contrast levels, etc) not matching the background, often times large diffusing tents are used with models in outdoor settings like this. These will kill most of the harsh sunlit-generated contrast and directional light.

Then reflectors, or for total control, battery-powered studio lights are used to light the model. These can be balanced with the sunlit background, or not. They will almost always look "artificial" especially when the model is "over-lit," producing a punchiness that pops from the background too much.
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2006
What Paul describes above is certainly possible.

And it’s common.

And in some instances, it creates exactly the type of image that works for its intended use.

I don’t have a problem with it.

And, as the photographer in question didn’t misrepresent his methods (yes it’s a composite, and no he didn’t set up that lighting on-sight) then it’s fine by me.

But the masking still needs work, and if that’s the shape of her real left elbow, then I suggest that its position excaped the photographers notice, because it does look odd.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jul 16, 2006
Ann, you are probably right on that. i didnt really examine it too close,as its admittedly a comp creation. i wasnt sure if the surf could have just ended at her feet,but it does appear deeper. i just wanted to point out it could be done on site with a load of gear, except maybe the in the surf part.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections