Posted By
ericp06
Jul 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

When I use PS 5.5 on my G4/1.5GHz AGP graphics system (running OS 9.2.2, 1.37GB RAM, PS memory settings set to 61440K in minimum size and 112640K in preferred size, 1GB partition on ext. FW drive for scratch disk) for editing images of photos to make them look more lifelike and enhance the visual quality, I use a standard procedure, but not long ago I was inspired to try some adjustments off the top of my head, and see what happens. I’m pleased enough with the results that I wanted to share with the ng:

Open an image you want to edit. Change Mode to 16 Bits/Channel. Bring up Adjust Hue/Saturation and enter -10, -10, +10.
Select Auto Contrast from Adjust.
Apply a little Brightness and Contrast adjustment.
Adjust Color Balance or fine-adjust Hue/Saturation
(moving a bit more Magenta or Green as looks best, adding or subtracting Saturation and Lightness as looks best).
Change Mode to 8 Bits/Channel.
Save as a JPEG, Maximum Quality, Baseline Optimized,
highest Size setting (for me, it’s 56.6Kbps).

I usually apply these techniques after initial adjustments to Levels, Color Balance, Hue/Saturation, and Sharpen (I like Unsharp Mask for this). Comparing the same image with and without this second set of adjustments usually shows, to my eye, that the added procedure yields better-looking images.

Try it and see 🙂

Happy editing,
Eric

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections