I wish to transfer data from MAC to PC how?

F
Posted By
frn
Mar 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is more of a general query – does anyone know of a Newsgroup which may deal with this subject?

KM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

V
Virgil
Mar 3, 2006
In article ,
frn wrote:

This is more of a general query – does anyone know of a Newsgroup which may deal with this subject?

KM
For one thing, if you burn it to a CD or DVD, most Macs will let you choose formats that PCs can read from CDs of DVDs.
K
km
Mar 4, 2006
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:50:02 -0700, Virgil
<ITSnetNOTcom#> wrote:

In article ,
frn wrote:

KM
For one thing, if you burn it to a CD or DVD, most Macs will let you choose formats that PCs can read from CDs of DVDs.

Thanks. This was posted on behalf of someone else I will pass the message on. My knowledge of MACs is absolute zero.

KM
RH
Randy Howard
Mar 5, 2006
frn wrote
(in article ):

What subject you may ask?
"I wish to transfer data from MAC to PC how?"

The simplest way depends upon how much data you are trying to move. If it’s a small amount, something like a USB key is probably the easiest way.

If it’s an entire hard drive, then put them both on the network and mount the drives and copy away.

Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it." – George Bernard Shaw
K
km
Mar 9, 2006
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:52:32 GMT, Randy Howard
wrote:

frn wrote
(in article ):

The simplest way depends upon how much data you are trying to move. If it’s a small amount, something like a USB key is probably the easiest way.

If it’s an entire hard drive, then put them both on the network and mount the drives and copy away.

My reason for posting was based on a request from a MAC owner who said she was unable to use files, created on her MAC, when transferred to a PC.

My asumption is that there is an incompatability issue when doing this – Virgil mentioned that the CD writing options in a MAC allow the data to be written in a way that a PC would understand.

As pointed out I have no knowledge of MACs and am responding to a request for help. In view of your comments am I to believe that data prepared on a MAC (say Graphics files or text) can simply be used on either system?

KM
V
Virgil
Mar 9, 2006
In article ,
km wrote:

wrote:

frn wrote
(in article ):

My reason for posting was based on a request from a MAC owner who said she was unable to use files, created on her MAC, when transferred to a PC.

My asumption is that there is an incompatability issue when doing this – Virgil mentioned that the CD writing options in a MAC allow the data to be written in a way that a PC would understand.

As pointed out I have no knowledge of MACs and am responding to a request for help. In view of your comments am I to believe that data prepared on a MAC (say Graphics files or text) can simply be used on either system?

KM

Provided that the files have names with appropriate extensions, like ending in ".JPG" for jpeg files or ".TXT" for text files, so that the appropriate applications will open them, that is my understanding.

For files created by MSWord or MSExcel on Macs, MS alleges that there should be no problem opening them with the PC versions of MSWord or MSExcel respectively, and similarly for a number of other applications which have both PC and Mac versions.
K
km
Mar 9, 2006
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:00:00 -0700, Virgil
<ITSnetNOTcom#> wrote:

In article ,
km wrote:

wrote:

frn wrote
(in article ):

KM

Provided that the files have names with appropriate extensions, like ending in ".JPG" for jpeg files or ".TXT" for text files, so that the appropriate applications will open them, that is my understanding.
For files created by MSWord or MSExcel on Macs, MS alleges that there should be no problem opening them with the PC versions of MSWord or MSExcel respectively, and similarly for a number of other applications which have both PC and Mac versions.

Thanks once again Virgil

Kevin McGee
B
BrettZell
Mar 31, 2006
In article , frn
wrote:

KM

Hi Kevin,

text files will work of you save the (lest’s say by Microsft Word) only if you save them as ".rtf" files. Look at te menu when you save them.

Now, they will work as well with an ".doc" extension starting from Word 98.

Concening images, you must put the good extension name after the file, like "gif" or ".jpeg".

Now, concerning the CD’s, you must burn them on "ISO9660" mode, they will be then compatible.

On the network, you will have to use either a PC software called "Mac Opener" or, on Mac, a software called "Dave".

Cheers

Brett

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections