CR
Posted By
Curt_Rowe
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having problems figuring out how to set margins. I was trying to print a 4×6 image on some Epson 4×6 paper which is 4.47" x 6.9" with tear off margins. It took about a half dozen attempts to get the image to print within the margins. On the Page Setup dialog box there are some grayed out margins set to Left 0.116, Right 0.55, Top 0.116, and Bottom 0.116. In Print with Preview I set top to .25 and left to 0.129. It looks like this left and the one from margin are summed (0.129+0.116=0.245) as the left edge of the image just lines up with the tear off margin of the page (0.47/2=0.235).

Is there a more straight forward way to do this? How does one set the margins in Page Setup? I searched the help on margins and looked through the indexes of five books on photoshop and couldn’t find anything.

Photoshop CS2
Epson 2200
Windows XP

Curt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
How does one set the margins in Page Setup?

This is determined solely by the settings in your Printers setup. Photoshop reads the driver and allows for what’s in there.

As a side point, most people don’t make the connection right away, that Photoshop is not about page layout. You don’t create, for example, and 8.5 x 11" piece of paper and then place an image on it.

Rather, you create an image of the desired dimensions and choose the appropriate size paper from your printer setup. If you want a half inch margin around your image, you must take into account the margins of the printer driver.

Also keep in mind that the margins in the printer driver are determined as the maximum printable area, not including any special features such as borderless printing. The printer, in general, has physical limitations beyond which you cannot print (without fooling the printer).

If you are using the Print with Preview dialog from within photoshop it, in combination with the above information, should help.

Peace,
Tony
CR
Curt_Rowe
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for the response. After my original post, I played around with Page setup some more. I found when I changed printers, the margins changed. They also changed when I selected maximum print area. So, as you say, the margin values are derived from the printer driver. Adding the two values together is as good as it gets.

Curt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections