Craig_Gallaway
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi LenHewitt,

Thanks for the reply.

I use Eye One Match from Gretag Macbeth for color management, and have kept my monitor up to date for several years. I don’t think it is the monitor, though I will try to make a fresh monitor profile.

One reason I don’t think the monitor is the problem is that all of the other images that display on the monitor, including Web sites and desk top backgrounds etc. appear to be fine as far as color intensity and depth. It is only the colors in the photoshop files that are washed out.

So I still think I must have hit a button on some global color setting in Photoshop while I was chasing the internet security pop-up window around the photoshop screen to try to turn it off. I have more than 100 images that I have worked on in those files and all of them are affected, but nothing outside of photoshop.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Craig

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CG
Craig_Gallaway
Sep 3, 2006
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I hear your "moan" about learning color management. I’ve been working on it for about two years. I use Gretag Macbeth, Wasatch Softrip, among other tools. Yes, color management is a real and continual work-in-progress.

As I responded to LenHewitt, however, I don’t think my current problem is one that needs to get lost in a general search of color management issues. I had already managed and printed successfully over the last two years all of the files in Photoshop that have now been affected. All of these files were affected at the same time.

Also, as I told LenHewitt, the colors on my monitor outside of Photoshop are fine, for example, on Web pages, and desktop backgrounds.

Something changed inside the Photoshop settings. It changed while I was chasing around a security pop-up message that refused to turn off. I think while I was trying to hit the "x" (off) button on the pop-up, or just using my cursor to move the message to the side of the screen, my cursor must have run across a setting in the drop down menu of Photoshop and hit a color setting somewhere that affects all files held inside Photoshop. Also, just before the change in color, I had successfully made a print of one of my images. After chasing the pop-up and finally moving it off the screen when it would not turn off, I tried to open another file to print it and the color had shifted.

I have thought of reinstalling Photoshop with my disk, but I want to be sure I can do that without importing with the files whatever change it is that is affecting all of the files. The change is not in the files per se, I don’t think, but in the color settings inside Photoshop.

I don’t know if this clarifies my situation in a way that suggests any new advice; but thanks in any event for trying to be of help.

Craig
L
LenHewitt
Sep 3, 2006
Craig,

*IF* your monitor profile is good, then it sounds as though Photoshop is not seeing it for its CMS.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 3, 2006
colors on my monitor outside of Photoshop are fine, for example, on Web pages, and desktop backgrounds

Photoshop is a colour managed environment. Web browsers, most image viewers, and even the monitor itself are not. They do, however, approximate the sRGB colour space.

Most users opt for a wider gamut profile for their working space in Photoshop. Adobe RGB1997 is a prime example.

If you work in a wider gamut space such as this, you should "Convert to Profile" before saving any copies destined for the web etc., selecting sRGB from the dialogue’s drop down menu.

As Len suggests, if your monitor profile is good perhaps Photoshop is not recognizing it for some reason.

Personally, I would start from scratch. Reset your preferences (as per the FAQs), check/redo your "Colour Settings", then run your chosen profiler. Do make sure you have removed Adobe Gamma from the Startup menu if you are using a third party profiler – two wrongs don’t make a right!

Hope this helps.

Chris.
P
PECourtejoie
Sep 3, 2006
Soft proofing set to Greyscale? hit CTRL+Y to check…
CG
Craig_Gallaway
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks to LenHewitt, Chris Birchall, and PE Courtejoie. I worked with advice from all of you and learned from all. The final culprit proved to be a loss of my monitor profile from the color drivers in system 32 folder. I don’t know how it got erased or misplaced or whatever during the process of trying to cancel out a security pop-up message; but that appears to be what happened. When I went back to "start at scratch" and make a new monitor profile, Windows required that I reinstall the color driver from Eye One Match software in system 32 in order to make the profile. Once complete, the profile became the default in Photoshop and all of the images returned to normal.

Thanks very much to each of you for taking the time to help and share knowledge. I hadn’t realized before that the monitor could look fine on the desk top or in other web sites while having no calibrated profile for Photoshop. Thank you again, Craig Gallaway
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
You’re welcome Craig.

One day Colour management will be easy.

….and pigs will fly 😉
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
Here’s to flying pigs <raises glass>
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
clink! 😉
L
LenHewitt
Sep 5, 2006
Chris,

…and pigs will fly<<

N.Wales Constabulary not got a ‘copter them? <g>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections