RK
Posted By
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If you were satisfied with what you had, you wouldn’t have written this. What is the problem?
Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TG
troy_gage
Sep 2, 2006
Not sure what was meant by the response. Bought CS2 upgrade and clearly was not satisfied. Was hoping for a much better product than it was (is).

There is much more to the list of woes.

7) There are still serious memory limitations (3gb) but there were in 5.5 as well and this involves the OS which may restrict RAM.

8) You have to run CS2 as administrator or it won’t open or operate. Not security safe. 5.5 can run as user with restrictions. CS2 has a high risk of infection and PC damage.

9) The PS status bar no longer exists. A status bar shows on each image and is different for each image, yet there is only one scratch, memory, efficiency, etc. Therefore all the info shown is incorrect unless you redisplay it and often it is still incorrect with eff=100% when scratch= 5.2gb/2.64RAM (should be 50%) or 92% when 1.09/2.64(should be 100%). In 5.5 the one status is correct for PS without manual update. In CS2 the “efficiency” rarely has any accurate relationship to scratch/RAM.

10) The main page is more cluttered with unwanted options you have to wade through for everything rather than in the background and selectable. Example the large and long scroll dropdown popup for endless brushes of the same type rather than a small simple palette with a few styles and size slider with user selected add-ins as it was in 5.5. We find this a particular annoyance trying to find one brush style among a long list of the same one at different sizes. We will try to delete most of these if that is possible. And the histogram which was one click on image in 5.5 and now is a large palette missing the white to black scale.

11) There is only a slight speed and memory utilization improvement over 5.5 and our CS2 is on a much faster machine. Although some operations are faster, many are about the same speed.

12) You can no longer flatten layers then move it to another image as CS2 says it is locked. There appears to be no way of unlocking it. The solution is to use 5.5 or never flatten a layer but instead merge all layers. You can duplicate the layer then delete the locked layer. Again you can accomplish the task in CS2 but with more steps than 5.5. Another irritation.

13) Several of the tools now have new controls and do not work the way expected. Example: crop. Be careful to find and disable defaults or you will have damaged results.

14) There are numerous annoyances where it changes something without reason, like auto unchecking “use lower case on extension” and without reason changes the extension to UPPER CASE. The preference “always use lower case” is ignored. You have to continually fix the check or change the case. You have to watch everything it does to be sure it hasn’t slipped something in and damaged your image. There are many occurrences that were one step in 5.5, are now 2 or 3 in PS2.

15) You can no longer use a tool and push against the window edge and have the image auto scroll. You can still do this with a layer but not a tool. Again we go back to 5.5.

16) CS2 also hangs and must be hot shut down with Task Manager/Application/End Task You lose any work in progress. Be sure to save often and check the saved file to be sure that it is not corrupted as indicated above.

17) We found other programs effect the speed of CS2 even though the other programs are not running and are not open, example Nikon Capture. The only way to fix CS2 is to shut it down and restart. CS2 is open but not running when Nikon Capture runs and NC is closed but CS2 runs extremely slow until shut down and restarted.

18) When applying something to an image like unsharpmask or other filters, it does not actually do it unless you click the layer. The process finishes but nothing happens unless you click the layer which means filters applied to layers may or may not have happened.

19) The list of small annoyances is longer as we continue to discover what was a simple task in 5.5, now is multiple steps in CS2 or doesn’t work or was done wrong. If you don’t check every step, you will have a damaged image.

CS2 may work for some applications. For us it is the uncluttered, get-it-done without errors PS 5.5 that we use for most work, and use CS2 only for a few cautious new functions. CS2 has everybody’s options on the front page that everybody has to wade through, want them or not. Lost is ease of use, info and warnings, and minimum keystrokes, at least for us. CS2 is very problematic and will destroy your work unless you watch at every step. If you can find PS5.5, grab it and use CS2 only for those specialty requirements. We have had no problems with 5.5 on W2000P or XP except for limits on memory. Adobe should return to a productive application and shelve PS2 for specialty work. Above is what we found in the first few weeks. If anyone knows how to eliminate some of these problems, please respond. For the response “If you like 5.5 so much, then use it”, exactly, we do. For CS2 – OS=XP pro, 4 x 3.2ghz xeons, 4 gb RAM DDR2-400, HDDs=ultra SCSI cheetas 15k, 15gb scratch, 10gb paging (scratch, paging, application, OS all on separate drives).
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2006
get-it-done without errors

Hogwash. If there were errors with later versions, we’d all know about it.

You are comparing version 5.5 to version 9.

There are so many flaws in what you’ve posted that it is going to take someone with quite a desire to clarify all of those things – and for what?

CS2 is leaps and bounds better than 5.5, at least for the bulk of the contributors here.

Here’s a hint. Don’t make silly accusations. Ask questions.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 2, 2006
Just to back up what Tony said, most of your complaints show that you simply do not understand or appreciate the changes for the better that have been made since version 5.5.

Carry on in your blissful ignorance, Sunshine.
TG
troy_gage
Sep 2, 2006
Thanks for your response. We have checked with Adobe on some of these problems and we are correct. Other problems just work that way and there is nothing to ask about. PS2 does as stated. Also as stated, PS2 may be great for some applications as it has improvements for everybody, but users beware -crashing or unwanted modifications to your work is not much of a change for the better. You are correct that we don’t appreciate many of the changes and use 5.5 without problems and only PS2 for limited and cautious speciality work. For those that love PS2, you make Adobe happy.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 3, 2006
Who is "we"?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2006
We have checked with Adobe on some of these problems and we are correct.

Just as an example…

You can no longer flatten layers then move it to another image as CS2 says it is locked.

Uhm, no, that is incorrect.

Listen – as friendly as I can, I’m telling you this: You are making ridiculous claims. There are major differences between the two versions (four generations worth of differences). You don’t understand the new metaphor. If you ask questions you will get the best help available anywhere. If you continue along the lines you are going, you will alienate the natives and no one will help you.

We come here because we like to help. But we won’t force you to learn anything. So, the choice, in the end, is up to you in how you approach this.

Peace,
Tony
TG
troy_gage
Sep 3, 2006
to Yrbkmrg – thank you for a meaningful response

On item 12 – not one of the most troublesome, we made the following test: open a space
fill it with a color
duplicate layer
fill with different color
you now have background locked and layer 1
open another space = new space

move "background" to new space – you can’t
you can’t move "background" at all

In 5.5 you can move background even within the same space leaving empty behind. We could find no way of unlocking "background". We used to work with the "background" same as any other layer but in PS2 when you hit background you are stuck unless there is some way to unlock.

True there is an easy workaround by duplicating the layer "background"

If you can help, we would like help on more improtant issues like 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 14, 15 and 9 doesn’t give us a clue what is happening. 6 drives us batty, very annoying. The others are the way they are.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Sep 3, 2006
Are you familiar with the concept of the "paradigm shift"? It’s when the mentality of something changes so much it means essentially that the whole thing has to be re-learned.

By jumping from 5.5 to 9, in a computer application, you’re efffectively gone from the Newtonian mindset to the Quantum Theory mindset.

You’ve lost too many intermediate steps. Try approaching CS2 as an entirely new application, it is immensely more powerful and well worth the effort of switching.
S
sfb
Sep 3, 2006
I have no interest in plowing through the long list of challenges, but it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that some of his 5.5 features Adobe considered as dysfunctional and fixed.

PS: He probably edits the in-house newspaper at the buggy whip factory.
P
Phosphor
Sep 3, 2006
" to Yrbkmrg…"

"Yearbook Marge, ehhh?"
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 3, 2006
You can change a Background into a layer by double-clicking on the thumnnail in the Layers palette. Alt-double click to skip the naming dialog.

You should take a look at the Help files and other documentation, and the FAQs in this forum to try to get your bearings in the newer version.

By "we" can I assume you have several users with these same problems? Maybe assign one the task of learning what the changes have been so the others can be brought up to speed.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 3, 2006
My curiosity is aroused. What are your source images? Are they scanned only as in drum scans? Do you use digital cameras, especially RAW? How do you handle those in 5.5?

I started with 5 and went directly to 6. I found myself constantly figuring workaroumnds to stay in 16 bit as long as possible. I assume you do also as you are concerned with corruption due to crop default settings.

I also wonder about output and color management. Maybe you do b&w only.

I stopped so far, at CS. There are filters available from CS2 that I value, so when and if I do finally upgrade, CS will remain as my workhorse. It’s faster and the palettes move immediately when I want to have them open. But no way would I go back to 6.

Well, way: I lose everything except my old computer running Win98SE on which 6 will perform. Printing will be seat of the pants flying, but that’s the way it was in the old, analog days. 🙂
TG
troy_gage
Sep 3, 2006
Many sources, it makes no difference in using CS2 or 5.5. No problem at all with 5.5. If raw, convert in Nikon capture to tif. We do work with large files in multi gb with layers. Our computers are designed for the purpose. We used 6 very little. We seldom crop but have had no problem except with CS2 shuting off defaults, item 13. There are values in CS2 for our purposes but also many disadvantages which we don’t have in 5.5. No problem with color management in 5.5, again not for our purposes. We end up doing a few things in CS2 that we can’t do in 5.5 then going back to 5.5. Be very careful with text – that is a one-way street. 5.0 to 5.5 was a BIG plus jump and 5.5 to 6.0 a bigger jump back, at least for our purposes.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2006
My alter ego has been homered. <chuckle>

There are values in CS2 for our purposes but also many disadvantages which we don’t have in 5.5.

Sigh. They are not disadvantages. Listen, closely. Some people want a program to work they way that they want instead of learning how to take advantage of the features that a program has. You have to stop saying that these features are disadvantages. No one cares what you think – sorry, but we’re here to help with your issues. Emotion about "how bad" it is does nothing but get in the way. All of us use it, we’re mostly pretty good at it (Photoshop). You’re basically saying that we are not bright enough to see what you see. Don’t do that <wagging finger>.

That said, let’s start here:

No warning on files too long for CS. In 5.5 if the file was too long you got a warning

You do not specify what you mean by the file was too long. We don’t know if you mean the filename is too long, or the file itself is too large.

If you are talking about file size, then you may be pleased to know that Photoshop CS2 has added a much sought after feature of being able to save files that are 300,000 x 300,000 pixels as a max image size (not 100% sure about the exact size) – this is a dramatic enhancement over previous versions because as you do more with photoshop, and as file sizes grow, you don’t want to be limited.

That feature has a cost: previous versions of photoshop will not open those files. Files that contain features from later versions are not guaranteed to open as expected, if at all, in previous versions.

Now, starting there, if you are saying the CS2 is saving files that it cannot itself open, then you have to state that.

The real point is, is that from what I read of your posts, you have a significant misunderstanding of the new (4 generations later) feauters and feel of Photoshop CS. We are NOT going to educate you on things that you can read about in the help file.

So if you have a question, ask it. But no more of this "answer number 1". We won’t do that – take a class, or ask a question. And I say this respectfully.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 3, 2006
<nodding head in agreement> Well put Tony.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 3, 2006
Troy, it must be obvious to you by now that you are talking to professional users of Photoshop who have all moved on from Version 5.5; some step-by-step, some skipping a grade here or there. Most have arrived at Version 9 (a few have stayed with Version 8 ). There has been cursing and wailing and gnashing of teeth over many of the incremental changes some of which were seen by some as retrograde steps. The problems arising have been thrashed out in these forums and, while there are still outstanding faults, nobody except a few with configuration/speed problems would classify Version 9 as a retrograde step, which is what you are doing in effect.

I could go through your poorly expressed catalogue of "problems" in your original post giving a response to each. Indeed, I was doing that mentally as I read it for the first time, until I realised what a lot of semi-incoherent babble it was, and gave up in disgust.

Take the advice of the others and learn (or get someone capable of learning) what you are missing out on.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 3, 2006
Our computers are finite, not Turing Machines. Therefore, software changes, while incremental with respect to the version, do pile up such that the end point of several iterations can seem to be bewildering indeed. A fine illustration can be had by comparing the methods used in "The Yankee Workshop" vs "This Old House" on PBS. Both have connsumate skilled persons yet the tools, materials and skills needed in both while overlapping, do not translate well from a jump to point of view. Yet Norm of Yankee WS does not berate the tools and their evolution of the modern techniques. Nor should you.

From an historical point of view, I find your comparisons informative. Thank you. But please, don’t complain about the lack thereof in retrofitting CS2 into 5.5. Use each for what they can do, as you seem to be able to do.

Consider also that in doing so, you are indeed taking advantage of the "modern" version as you see fit. Consider that what you do use may not be doable in terms of how CS2 needed to evolve to get to the tools you find advantageous in CS2.

I am one of the folks who saw CS2 as retrograde, because the simple, fundamental processes now were compromised by the load presented in upgrading. I still feel that way, although I have moved on (finally!) to make the changes necessary to run either CS or CS2 more comfortably. Notice the word "more". I still find myself muttering about palettes and timing issues in CS2. So I go back to CS, but certainly not either 5 or 6.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 3, 2006
we’re mostly pretty good at it (Photoshop)

Glad you narrowed that down, Tony! 🙂

I mean, as opposed to cooking. Back in the 80’s I tried to impress a girlfriend by cheffing us a vegetarian chilli dish, and blew up the entire kitchen, and the expensive half of the darkroom.

Rob (still laughing & crying about that era)
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 3, 2006
Too much cayenne in the chili?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 3, 2006
No, it was some alcoholic additive that set fire to things. I think it was kirsch, or madera or something. It was like our food exploded the instant I added it to the pan.

One wall burned down, giving way to the darkroom. I lost stacks of Ilford paper, canisters with perceptol, Tri-X, T-max, Wetting Agent, a timer, and the bellows part and neg holder of a Soviet-made enlarger.

We had French fries later that evening.

Rob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2006
mmmm french fries….
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 4, 2006
Mmmmmm Perceptol!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 4, 2006
troy,

Let me understand. Did you actually have Photoshop 6 but continued using 5.5 instead? That makes no sense. 6 was so much better than 5.5. I can’t see any logic to that at all.

Nothing is "lost" with successive versions of Photoshop, at least nothing important that I can think of.
TG
troy_gage
Sep 4, 2006
Thank you Lawrence Hudetz for a worthwhile response.

We recognize that CS2 has some excellent new features and we use those features when needed. We also realize that with some of those features we have lost abilities that were in 5.5 and very much used while introducing some unwanted results in CS2, like corrupted pages without warning and more keystrokes to perform the same task plus others. We definitely use CS2 when it does a better job than 5.5 and for some of our work we use CS2 exclusively. As was said in a previous response, that CS2 is a new tool/application. We had hoped that CS2 would replace 5.5 for our usage but that did not happen and we were disappointed. It may well be that we view CS2 as a tool in addition to 5.5, using whichever does the best job and for now 5.5 does the same job with less keystrokes, greater ease and more stability for most of our work. Using two is not as convenient but it works. It may be with the complexity of all the features stuffed into an application, one application cannot work well for all people and jobs, so you use the one(s) that work best for your work. In our case 80% 5.5, 20% CS2.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 4, 2006
User’s choice, IMO. I personally would not go back to 5 or 6 as I work heavily in 16 bit. The workaround to gain access to tools in 16bit in PS6 was a major headache, so when CS came along, I embraced it gladly.

Reverting back towards older systems because of favorite techniques that just don’t come off in the newer systems is not limited to Adobe. Some of my Mac friends wring their hands over the fact that OS9 had certain offerings not available in the later OS. In my case, I can see that W2k is more stable than XP and that CS2 seems better off in W2k. No jerky palette opening is a big case in point.

But XP is buttery smooth on bootup and general computer use so I don’t think I’ll be reinstalling W2K again soon! I just go to CS.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
does the same job with less keystrokes, greater ease and more stability for most of our work

I seriously doubt that.
TG
troy_gage
Sep 4, 2006
We use CS2 in XP and 5.5 in W2K. Cannot put CS2 in W2K because we need the larger file capabilities of CS2 on OS XP, a drawback with 5.5 and with W2K. That said, for some of the smaller files, still max for 5.5 we prefer 5.5. Big files in CS2, smaller files in 5.5. We would smoke both PS and OS if we went 16 bit, not necessary in our work. Talked to Adobe before purchase on CS2 and they thought it could handle our size and RAM requirements but not sure – "buy it and try it". In the end for the most part it is ok, better than 5.5 with layers and all, still in Gbs. We just have to be carefull we don’t exceed the max width with layers as it will save the file without an error and then error (cannot open with this version of PS or something like that) on opening. We lost some stuff the hard way. We now check, crop, test open before closing. We can live with 5.5 and CS2. Must move on. Thanks for your comments
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 4, 2006
Thank you for sticking here too!

I’m not sure why w2K cannot handle the file sizes which XP does, unless you require the 3GB switch. I would like to know more about what you do.
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Sep 4, 2006
PS v5.5 was a stopgap, not much admired on this forum, and ignored by many regulars here; v6 was a big improvement over v5.0.2, and v7.0.1 was even better.

However, to say that v5.5 is to v9 like Newtonian Physics to Quantum Mechanics is utter nonsense. Newtonian Physics, with all it’s imperfections, is still one of the greatest monuments to the human mind, the very basis of this technological world of ours, the theory behind the voyage to the Moon, and beyond.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
Philosophical or wot?! 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
yeah. too deep for me. I thought Newton was an Apple product <shrug>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 4, 2006
Eeeek!

Thomaz, I know a Klinc in the Chicago area. Any connection?
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
I can feel a "homering" coming on here!
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Sep 5, 2006
Lawrence Hudetz: no, no connection.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 5, 2006
I understand that you’re having some problems learning the new version of Photoshop. But most of your complaints are simply not correct, and you probably would have gotten a lot farther by asking questions than making accusations and silly claims about going back 4 complete versions (and missing out on a LOT of new functionality).

1) No, CS and CS2 added a lot MORE warnings (and made them more accurate) about file length (plus the abillity to work with files over 2 Gig).

2) Sounds like you’re talking about the option to not have the Windows background. That was a commonly requested feature.

3) Not that we know of unless you are running a pirated version, have a virus mucking about with your disk, have a buggy registry cleaner, or have a buggy RAID array driver.

4) Yes, that had to be done for several UI components. Now it doesn’t keep changing depending on the size of the window: the border is constant.

5) Yes, there is. But now it’s a progress dialog because the Windows background can be turned off (and thus the old location goes away).

6) Huh? It’s all still there.

7) 5.5 was limited to 2 Gig. CS2 can use 3 (XP /3Gig switch) or 4 Gig (XP-64). The limit to 3 or 4 Gig is an OS limit for 32 bit applications.

8) Well, then you should talk to Microsoft about why they made necessary user level APIs require power user (NOT administrator) privledges.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 5, 2006
10) there is no "main page" in Photoshop. And the options bar helped reduce the clutter.

11) There are major speed improvements in every release, especially for newer machines with newer processors. If CS2 is functioning slower than 5.5, something is wrong with your system, or you haven’t installed the 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 updates to work around a video card driver bug that some users encountered.

12) That makes no sense. Flatten still works like it always has: it makes a flat document (no transparency, background layer only).

13) When you ask for more control, we give you more control. That means new options for tools.

14) No, Photoshop doesn’t do that. Sounds like you may have used TweakUI or something similar on your system, and it is overriding Photoshop’s extension behavior.

15) Yes, the auto scrolling was a common source of user complaints. Most people considered it a bug.

16) If Photoshop is hanging that often, it’s a good sign that you have a problem with your machine. Very few people have reported hangs, and of those, almost all have traced it to hardware problems (especially the BIOS/HyperTheading P4 3.0Ghz bug) or viruses.

17) Yes, Nikon Capture has a lot of known problems. It can aggrevate things if you leave the (silently installed!) Nikon plugins installed in Photoshop’s plugins folder. Most people recommend removing them.

18) That makes no sense, and doesn’t sound like anyting I’ve heard before.

19) That sounds like you are very comfortable in 5.5 and haven’t tried using more recent versions of Photoshop for very long. Personally, I find 5.5 feels archaic, slow, and barely useable. After using the new versions for a few weeks, most people find the old versions too limiting and painful to use.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 6, 2006
<golf clap> Nicely done Chris, thank you.
TG
troy_gage
Sep 7, 2006
To Chris Cox
We apologize for not responding. None of the responses were of value except for one so we stopped looking. Your response was more along the line that we were looking for. We did look at your response and still find that the problems or issues we have are valid. We realize that software cannot satisfy everyone and that the majority dictates the best features meaning some important functions for some will be dropped. We were hoping that we missed something in CS2 that would allow dropped features to come back. It will probably end up with us using 5.5 mostly and CS2 for what it does best. Some quick comments – our CS2 is from Adobe and not pirate, we are not using other software which overrides (only CS2, Nikon Capture, and DVD burner are on that machine and NC and burner were down), we have used CS2 enough to know how it works.

We will take two issues at a time.
1) We have never had a corrupted file or crashed application with 5.5. If we do something wrong we get an error and can fix.
With CS2 we have had several corrupted files and now stay away from that area. Action – the workflow involved a page size about 360 inch x 40 inch x 120 ppi and several layers and moderate size about 700mb. Consistently a saved file would not open. We changed the workflow to under 500mb and under 200 inch and had no further problems. We have tried to reconstruct the workflow at 360 inch but have been able to open the file. There may have been something else involved.

Our concern was that CS2 allowed us to save a file it could not reopen. We will try to reconstruct the problem.

2) Nothing to do with windows background. In 5.5 all pages are docked to the main PS window. If you move PS, all pages within move also except for the palettes. This is true of most other applications. In CS2 all pages move independently so to move PS you have to also move all inner pages as well unless they are minimized. We looked for a docking option but found none.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 7, 2006
Troy. I don’t know what you are trying to prove here, or who you are trying to kid.

I’ve just created a 360 by 40 inch file, duplicated the layers and saved it out in both Photoshop Large Document format and TIFF. Both opened again no problem – even though I created them at 140ppi by mistake. The TIFF was 1,200MB.

You wouldn’t be able to open them in 5.5 of course, because the earlier programs have a 30,000 pixel limit.

You obviously have other problems. Hardware possibly. Bad RAM is a common cause. Cheap RAM which works perfectly well with lesser applications can fold under the strain Photoshop puts on it.

You also need ample defragmented scratch space when working on such large files.

As for your gripe about images opening independently of the Photoshop window. Ask any seasoned user whether they want the old restrictive window back and the answer will be a resounding NO. The new set-up, over dual monitors, is a dream to use – and fully customizable to the individual’s method of working.

only CS2, Nikon Capture, and DVD burner are on that machine…

Ah! Could we be getting somewhere here? I’ve had no first hand experience of it myself, but I do know there have been serious issues with Nikon software affecting Photoshop.

All that said. You are posting your rant on a User to User forum. We are ordinary users here, other imaging professionals who also enjoy the advantage of being joined on occasions by some of Adobe’s top software engineers, one of whom posted a lengthy reply in this very thread.

What I am saying is. If you want help, ask for it and we, the other users, will do our best to assist.

If you just want to come here for a rant, don’t bother wasting your time. Because other than for the entertainment value, in the main you will just be ignored.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 7, 2006
You do have 9.0.2 upgrade, Troy, right? (Comming from a fellow who forgot to look!)
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2006
And who in the hell is "WE"? Is it the "Royal We", or is there more than one person in your head?

More than just kind of annoying at this point.
P
PECourtejoie
Sep 8, 2006
"Our concern was that CS2 allowed us to save a file it could not reopen. We will try to reconstruct the problem."
Do you have PSB support activated in the preferences? Are you running 9.02?

What version of Nikon Capture are you running?

If you use 4GB of ram, why did you not use XP Pro 64bits?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 8, 2006
Will PS 7 Run on XP Pro 64?
TG
troy_gage
Sep 8, 2006
To Lawrence H
No – CS2 9.0 as it came from box. Machine does not have web access and can only be updated by transfer by LAN. Usually we do not update working applications unless the update directly fixes a serious problem that we have.

To PECourtejoie
NC 4.2.1 It is unlikely that NC was open at the time however since we had an issue using NC with PS2 open, it is possible to have been involved. We will watch for this in the future yet have been unable to cause the problem again. At the time, the corruption happened with every long image over 500mb. 64b not necessary for our application. thank you
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 8, 2006
<Shaking head>
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 8, 2006
<banging head against brick wall>
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 8, 2006
<drinking heavily>
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 8, 2006
And who in the hell is "WE"?

"THEY" sure do conveniently ignore that one, don’t "THEY?"

You’d think at least one of "THEM" would bother to answer.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 8, 2006
OMG! Trtoy. Update. If necessary, go on line with another computer and D/L to a flash drive or CD or DVD.

jeeeze!
JB
John_Bean_UK
Sep 9, 2006
You’d think at least one of "THEM" would bother to answer.

The voices are probably having a meeting to decide what to tell him to do 😉

John Bean
H
Ho
Sep 9, 2006
Never mind. It was too good to use here.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 9, 2006
Ya know it just saws my log when folks come in here and have this pompous "I know everything about how programs should work" attitude and then proceed to tell us all of Photoshops deficiencies.

Then, when you try to politely say "hold on a minute there Einstein", they act as though they have this superior intellect and experience, when it’s clear as day that they have no clue what they are talking about. And rather than admit it, or re-work the strategy for getting their issues resolved, they act as though the forum contributors are combative.

But what honks my horn more, is when all the little zoo keepers continually toss tidbits to the bears to see what food they like for the sole satisfaction of being the one that fed the bear.

Why are we bothering with someone who isn’t really interested in solving issues?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 9, 2006
So, I am a zoo keeper? Tidbits? On another thread, an apparent "zookeeper" offered me the reminder about 9.0.2, which I missed for whatever reason. So I offered the same suggestion and we did find out about this (these) dude(s).

Damn, at least try to offer some support to those who in turn offer their support, in spite of the attitude of the poster.

Otherwise, why should I offer any support for anyone? Whose judgment qualifies as the one to watch?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, or any, for that matter.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 9, 2006
Just check back to what Tony and I said to the "Royal Wee" in Posts #3 and #4.

We had them sussed then and nothing has changed.

Carry on in your supercilious insularity troy boys!
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 9, 2006
HaHaaa! Hey Tony. That was some log-sawin’, horn-honkin’, tidbit-tossing post.

More analogies there than a… erm.. well I can’t think of a suitable analogy just now! 😉

At the end of the day Troy boy didn’t really come here for help. He just wanted to vent. We offered help, but in the end it was all just "entertainment".

Let "them" wallow, I say.

Whoops. I can see some "sin stones" flying. OMG and now someone is having a "Royal Wee"!

I’m outta here – before I start suffering from "analogy overload" 😉
TG
troy_gage
Sep 9, 2006
To Lawrence H.

We will consider the upgrade, thank you, however 9.0.2 is new and needs settling. There are already trouble posts here. Also we do not find that 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 addresses any of the concerns that we have. Since most of our concerns are on the user interface and not bugs, it is unlikely that a dot upgrade will make changes. Therefore we would expect to see no change after the upgrade. If a dot upgrade put back the checkboxes in layers and layers merged down instead of up, then we would upgrade. Unlikely to happen. As previously stated, we can accomplish the same end result as 5.5 with several more steps.

The reason for this topic was to let Adobe know that maybe some users do not find the user interface of CS2 to be an improvement. Although the features are appreciated, the resulting changes to the user interface from 5.5 are not. However if the majority like the user interface on CS2 or maybe the user interface is required to have the new features, then Adobe is correct in what they have done. We find that 5.5 was a big improvement over 4.0, and over 5.0, but went back with 6.0 The many little (some bigger) annoyances in CS2 that we indicated make our workflow better in 5.5 with CS2 used for special features. In the end using each for their strength’s works.

We continue to find annoyances in CS2 like today for a page made in CS2 with text in CS2, closing and reopening the same page, we get the message “some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output, update/no”. ????? We get same message every time and say update every time. Why wasn’t it right in the first place and why doesn’t it update and be done with it. We update, save, reopen and get same message. ??? . In 5.5 it just works. This page was not done in 5.5 although we could have, as there is nothing special about the text. The error can be suppressed but we do not because sometime we bring in text from 5.5 and do not want it converted.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 9, 2006
Well Troy, without the upgrade to 9.0.2, I did have problems, mostly with the palettes. Because i did a fresh install from the OS to all my progrrams I missed the upgrade step for CS2. Folks here asked if I did when I asked about the behavior and the fix was installed. That’s all I can say. The rest is up to you. You can wait until hell freezes over for additional fixes which may or may not come.

I can’t get into specifics of the differences you see. Yes, I get the update on text also, and mostly choose not to update, as that changes layout slightly. Say no and it still works.

Well, the regulars are starting to get pissed now at each other, so this will have to be my last word:

UPDATE!!!
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 9, 2006
It wasn’t directed at anyone Lawrence, it was an observation.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, or any, for that matter.

Good line. They should put that in print.

The issue that is being ignored is the Two Troy’s are whining like little girls that the interface changed from what it was four versions ago. In fact, the interface is the same, but new features and new functionality has been added.

What kind of snivveler is compalining about having checkboxes in layers? (I can only presume "they" mean the lock icon). Uhm, try the new feature, you might find yourself getting work done more efficiently.

The take home message I get from the two troys is that they wish there weren’t any changes. Here’s an idea… why would you upgrade if there weren’t any changes?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 10, 2006
why would you upgrade if there weren’t any changes?

Exactly, Tony.

Glad you clarified your comments.:-)

Troy seems to be a sort of "purist" if PS5.5 might be considered a purist perspective. I got the purist point after the point that 9.0.2 might not be the last word.

Exactly!
TG
troy_gage
Sep 12, 2006
Before our fond farewell, we have to say YES to Robert Barnett, and others on topic: “9.01 new extra-clicky menus”, May 16, – well said. We may not agree with everything, language a little strong but in general, YES. The same frustration is clearly there – more clicks for everyone. Numerous problems and sliding downhill. I could have posted “RIGHT ON ROBERT”, but didn’t (whoops sorry, “WE” could have posted…). We may still post, hard to resist. Maybe if the topic stays active, someone from Adobe will read it. We will check out the PS alternatives mentioned. Always support the competition. Didn’t realize Corel Paintshop Pro had improved that much (haven’t checked in a couple years). Best product gets our corporate money. A big Thank you.

For our topic and the VERY few that responded with worthwhile comments, thank you. To the others, for the few responses that we read, “WE” got a good laugh. The background noise is good for a chuckle and keeps the topic alive. We should do it again sometime.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 12, 2006
Maybe if the topic stays active, someone from Adobe will read it.

Someone from Adobe DID read it, and replied. Post #35 and #36.

Einstein.
PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 12, 2006
Troy,

I’m pretty sure that v5.5 never had the capability of outputting type as vector art, which is why you would never see the warning there. From a forum search and posted by one David Strong:

What I just found that solves the original crisis is that I had the ‘Faux Bold’ checked in the character dialog. I removed that from all of my text, saved, closed, and on reopening all of the warnings were gone. One warning remained on a layer in a third document, and it just turned out to be me forgetting to remove the Faux Bold on that bit of text.

Faux type styles are not compatible with postscript output, as they are not hardwired into the font syles, so there is no way they can be correctly output. Of course, this wouldn’t have been a problem in 5 or 5.5. Could this possibly be your problem??

Peter
TG
troy_gage
Sep 13, 2006
Peter,

Amazing! Our fond farewell is temporarily delayed. I thought you had the wrong topic until I looked closer at the many issues we have and found the one with the text error.

You are absolutely correct. We award you with the virtual crown for the only working solution to our many issues although there was one other good response for possible corruption of files after save. We found the offending choice, preset by CS2 buried deep in the layers of text options not set by us. It was clearly visible on the text palette in 5.5. Reference our issue #14. Why was it checked in the first place.

But there is more. Multiple layers of text, verdana, reg, with faux bold set are unaffected. Only one layer toggles the error but not always. By toggling faux bold on this one layer and saving and reopen, sometimes we get the error other times not. Other layers also verdana reg seem to be fine with faux bold on.

Test 1 – open the test document – set the offending text layer – turn off the faux bold – save – close – reopen – no warning – reset to faux bold on – save – close – reopen – no warning.

Did this two times – same result. Another corrupted file on the original?

Test 2 – without touching anything – open a new page – type in text – palette says verdana reg – save file – close – open – and you get warning.

Try 3 times One with warning two without

It is CS2.

We will check further tomorrow and other documents with the same error. It is clearly a text setting that causes problems and gives unclear warnings. We will find what is going on.

We thank you again for a civil response that actually solved something.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 13, 2006
As I said many posts ago, I was going to offer a couple of solutions too, but your blustering, ill-informed, "Royal We" style put me right off.

🙁
TG
troy_gage
Sep 13, 2006
Problem fixed, thanks Peter

Faux bold fixed for now. Two layers affected, both verdana, reg, crisp. One can be faux bold but not both. ?????? CS2 Solved by making one not faux bold, but strong the other remains verdana,faux bold, crisp.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections