JC
Posted By
John_Cane
Sep 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please advise if CS2 is communicating correctly with the DNG and JPG file formats in retrieving Exif aperture values. I am getting some strange results.

First off, please confirm that the Exif property, "Aperture Value" is supposed to be the diameter of the aperture in mm.

As an example, with L=70, F=1/22 you expect aperture = 3.2. When I apply the depth of field lever, the aperture looks like about 3 mm diameter. However, Photoshop gives me "Aperture Value" of 8.9. I tried other values of L (28, 50, 90 mm) with F=1/8. The aperture value was consistently 6.0. See this link for results of testing to date.

Any ideas appreciated. <http://photo.enw-ltd.com/ApertureData.htm>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 3, 2006
The EXIF standard 2.2 specifies that the ApertureValue property is stored as an APEX value. For apertures, the APEX value is 2 * log2(f), where f is the f-stop. The chart in Annex C to the standard indicates that f/22 is often represented as 9. In fact, it is between 9 and your 8.9. Because of how the APEX values are defined, each increase of 1 in the APEX value represents a single F-stop of difference — i.e., a doubling of the amount of light allowed through the lens. The chart gives the following equivalents:

ApertureValue F-Number
0 1
1 1.4
2 2
3 2.8
4 4
5 5.6
6 8
7 11
8 16
9 22
10 32
JC
John_Cane
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks for clearing this up for me. Great help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections