C
Posted By
CarlEnglish
Aug 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to Photoshop CS2 and I am confused about how to implement color management.

I have profiled my monitor with the TagMacbeth / Pantone Eye-One Display 2 and have developed a profile for my Sony CRT. So, do I use the color setting of "North American Prepress 2" as recommended by Scott Kelbey et.al.or do I change it to the monitor profile created by Eye-One Display 2?

I take all of my prints to Sam’s or Walgreens for printing I am trying to use my monitor to adjust the color, etc. to achieve the best possible results from my photo processing lab.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jim-norris
Aug 28, 2006
"CarlEnglish" wrote in message
I’m new to Photoshop CS2 and I am confused about how to implement color management.

I have profiled my monitor with the TagMacbeth / Pantone Eye-One Display 2 and have developed a profile for my Sony CRT. So, do I use the color setting of "North American Prepress 2" as recommended by Scott Kelbey et.al.or do I change it to the monitor profile created by Eye-One Display 2?
Use the monitor profile you created. The other is a printer profile. Sam’s or Walgreens may be able to make a decent print if you imbed this profile in your files.
Jim
I take all of my prints to Sam’s or Walgreens for printing I am trying to use my monitor to adjust the color, etc. to achieve the best possible results from my photo processing lab.
C
CarlEnglish
Aug 28, 2006
Thanks Jim,

One last question. If I select the monitor profile, the color settings indicates that the color settings are not synchronized with the other applications inside CS2. How do I accomplish synchronization?

"Jim" wrote in message

Use the monitor profile you created. The other is a printer profile. Sam’s or Walgreens may be able to make a decent print if you imbed this profile in your files.
Jim

C
CarlEnglish
Aug 29, 2006
Answered my own question about the synchronization issue. If you go to Bridge and change the setting to "monitor profile" the Bridge application allows for synchronization across all applications. It still worries me that CS2 warns that using a monitor profile is for doing presentations on the monitor and doesn’t mention what profile to use for normal run-of-the-mill lab prints from businesses like Sam’s and Walgreens, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks Jim,

One last question. If I select the monitor profile, the color settings indicates that the color settings are not synchronized with the other applications inside CS2. How do I accomplish synchronization?

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim

J
jim-norris
Aug 29, 2006
Answered my own question about the synchronization issue. If you go to Bridge and change the setting to "monitor profile" the Bridge application allows for synchronization across all applications. It still worries me that CS2 warns that using a monitor profile is for doing presentations on the monitor and doesn’t mention what profile to use for normal run-of-the-mill lab prints from businesses like Sam’s and Walgreens, etc.

Thanks Jim,

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim
There are three kinds of profiles:

Input
Output
Intermediate

An input profile provides the information that is needed to understand how to interpret the pixel values that an input device such as a scanner or camera mean. Thus there is an input profile associated with each input device.

An output profile provides the information that is needed to provide pixel data for an output device such as a monitor or printer. Each output device has its own set of profiles. There is only one profile for a monitor, but there are many profiles for a printer.

An intermediate profile is one contains both input and output data. Such profiles provide device independent information.

It is highly unlikely that a monitor profile would be useful for printing because the operation of the devices are so different. That is what they meant.

To get the best results from any printer requires knowledge of the appropriate profile.

Jim
MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 29, 2006
"Jim" wrote in message

Thanks Jim,

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim

Input
Output
Intermediate

An input profile provides the information that is needed to understand how to interpret the pixel values that an input device such as a scanner or camera mean. Thus there is an input profile associated with each input device.

An output profile provides the information that is needed to provide pixel data for an output device such as a monitor or printer. Each output device has its own set of profiles. There is only one profile for a monitor, but there are many profiles for a printer.

An intermediate profile is one contains both input and output data. Such profiles provide device independent information.

It is highly unlikely that a monitor profile would be useful for printing because the operation of the devices are so different. That is what they meant.

To get the best results from any printer requires knowledge of the appropriate profile.

Jim
Any use? See also page 10, http://computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm

MH
C
CarlEnglish
Aug 29, 2006
This link to color management posted by Ian Lyons really nails it in a very concise and easily understandable way. Thank you Jim and Mike.

Kindest regards,

Carl English

"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message

Thanks Jim,

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim

Input
Output
Intermediate

Jim
Any use? See also page 10,
http://computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm

MH
J
jim-norris
Aug 29, 2006
That site is where I learned what (little?) I know about this subject. By the way, I have found that my Epson Photo 1280 does not drift very much. The same cannot be said of my Sony monitor. The monitor is a wearout item though.

Jim
"Carl English" wrote in message
This link to color management posted by Ian Lyons really nails it in a very concise and easily understandable way. Thank you Jim and Mike.
Kindest regards,

Carl English

"Jim" wrote in message

Thanks Jim,

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim

Input
Output
Intermediate

Jim

MH

MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 29, 2006
"Carl English" wrote in message
Kindest regards,

Carl ,

You’re very welcome.

Regards

Mike H
"Jim" wrote in message

Thanks Jim,

"Jim" wrote in message

Jim

Input
Output
Intermediate

Jim

MH

W
Waldo
Sep 4, 2006

Input
Output
Intermediate

Not completely correct: a profile contains "information" (a few large tables) to convert the profile to and from an intermediate, device independent color space (called PCS = profile connection space). XYZ and LAB are most used as a PCS.

Theoretically, you can setup your color management workflow to output to a scanner device, although it doesn’t make any sense. Point is, that the profiles are equal in structure, they only contain different values. For the color engine, there is no difference.

Waldo
W
Walker
Sep 5, 2006
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:34:13 GMT, "CarlEnglish" wrote:

It has been my experience that if you’re going to be using Sam’s, Walgreen, Wal-Mart, Kodak, Shutterfly, etc., then the best profile to use is Adobe RGB (1998).
I also have several different color calibration packages, each with their own colorimeter, and they do a nice job of matching what I see onscreen, to what my printer prints out. If I want to use a third party printing service, then I use the Adobe RGB (1998) because most of these printing services use that profile. Usually, the people there don’t even know what a color profile is, and since most digital cameras use the RGB or sRGB profile, that’s what they use also. So far, Shutterfly and Kodak have yielded the best results for me, and they are reasonably priced. I tried Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, and Ritz, and they were terrible, so I continue using the two online services that I mentioned.
What you should do is have one of the local printers make you a copy of a picture, and have one of the online printers do the same thing to the same picture, and see which one you like better.

Walker
C
CarlEnglish
Sep 7, 2006
Hello again,

I just posted a message asking for a monitor recommendation. With everything drifting towards LCD, what would you buy for use in Photoshop? I have a GreTagMacbeth / Pantone Eye-One Display 2 profiling instrument. From what little I understand about the LCD monitor type, there isn’t much that can be adjusted besides luminosity. I’m interested in your opinions.

Carl

"Walker" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:34:13 GMT, "CarlEnglish" wrote:

I have profiled my monitor with the TagMacbeth / Pantone Eye-One Display 2 and have developed a profile for my Sony CRT. So, do I use the color setting
of "North American Prepress 2" as recommended by Scott Kelbey et.al.or do I
change it to the monitor profile created by Eye-One Display 2?

It has been my experience that if you’re going to be using Sam’s, Walgreen, Wal-Mart, Kodak, Shutterfly, etc., then the best profile to use is Adobe RGB (1998).
I also have several different color calibration packages, each with their own colorimeter, and they do a nice job of matching what I see onscreen, to what my printer prints out. If I want to use a third party printing service, then I use the Adobe RGB (1998) because most of these printing services use that profile. Usually, the people there don’t even know what a color profile is, and since most digital cameras use the RGB or sRGB profile, that’s what they use also. So far, Shutterfly and Kodak have yielded the best results for me, and they are reasonably priced. I tried Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, and Ritz, and they were terrible, so I continue using the two online services that I mentioned.
What you should do is have one of the local printers make you a copy of a picture, and have one of the online printers do the same thing to the same picture, and see which one you like better.
Walker

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections