RH
Posted By
Richard_Haylock
Aug 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using WinXP SP2, Photoshop 8, and DW MX2004 my web photo gallery at < http://www.theairingcupboard.com/media/slideShowASYC/index.h tm> displays fine in IE (latest version) but not in Firefox (also latest version).

Only the top half of the main picture displays in Firefox.

The "template" C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Presets\Web Photo Gallery\Horizontal Slideshow\IndexPage.htm appears to test for firefox but also doesn’t appear to correct (or offer to correct) incompatible code. (I’m not a programmer)

Has anyone else come across this quirk, and if so, what’s causing the problem and how can I fix it?

Using Dell Dimension 9150, 4Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512 Mb, RAID mirrored discs.

Any ideas gratefully received, please.

Best regards

Richard Haylock

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 25, 2006
Hmmm. Kind of odd. Does it preview locally on FF correctly?

I wonder if you dumped that right-click disabling script (which is very easy to overcome) if it would display properly.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 25, 2006
Richard,

You have no DOCTYPE declaration, so FF will revert to full Quirks mode.

You need before the <HTML> the following:

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3. org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 25, 2006
Also Richard, when I tried (IE6) it stopped loading the thumbs at number 63.

Ed is right about the right-click being easy to get around. Worse still IE is displaying the image tool bar so visitors can easily steal your images that way.

No only that, it is most annoying having that pesky little bar appear every time you hover over an image.

Put: in the head tags to disable it.

Even with both these bits of code in use, all people have to do is do a screen capture to get the image.

The only real way of stopping people obtaining a useful copy is to put a "copyright" watermark over each image.

The one supplied with the web galleries is okay, but a bit crude. Or you could create your own and run an action on the images after creating the galley.

Incidentally, although it is virtually impossible to stop someone copying your web images, you can frustrate their attempts.

Try right clicking and saving a few of the images in my web galleries (the "Fun Fashion" gallery is the best example) to see what I mean.

The beauty is they wont know they’ve only got part of the picture until the go to open it 🙂

<http://www.beautyphoto.co.uk>
RA
Rafael_Aviles
Aug 25, 2006
Chris,

It is not that hard to get your pictures – you forgot to set your site up so that the directory where the pictures are located does not show its contents when the URL is typed in the browser’s address field without a specific page (as in <http://www.beautyphoto.co.uk/man/images/)>. Using this URL, anyone can navigate right to your pictures. It was clever to slice them up so only parts are in individual files, but it is not too hard to stitch them back together.

By the way, the above security flaw is very common, I have seen it in many other sites.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 25, 2006
Rafael: I’ve long since stopped worrying about copying, especially when a simple screen grab will give them what they want anyway.

The images on my galleries have already generated revenue from the respective clients. And if they want to grab a low res copy I consider it fair return for them letting me use the pictures in the first place.

If ever I do "Internet Proofing" as Richard has however, I always overprint the images with a copyright notice.

(Richard, see: <http://www.beautyphoto.co.uk/proofs/glan/> -the "View Proofs" link)

You are right Rafael about being able to navigate to the /images folder of course. To "tidy it up" I should place and index.htm in each of the images folders.

As for the "sliced galleries", I make these quite quickly in Photoshop using a template to make one long canvas, which is then popped into Image Ready to slice and generate the HTML. All I need do then is add the < Head > code before publishing it.

I’m all for making life easy 🙂

Cheers.

Chris.
RH
Richard_Haylock
Aug 26, 2006
Thanks, guys for the input. I will try out the suggestions over the weekend.

The right click disable script I added to the Photoshop pre-set as a means of deterring all but the most determined or savvy visitors – it doesn’t work on Macs at all!

Thanks too for the head code snippets – will add those in. I guess watermarking is the really the only way to go. The learning curve just keeps going up!

Best regards

Richard
RH
Richard_Haylock
Aug 26, 2006
No, it doesn’t – it only shows the top half, but puts a slider bar in so I can scroll to the bottom half!

A friend of mine a few miles away looked at the slide show in FF and was getting a very small but full version of the pix, which was what alerted me to the fact I really did need to test in other browsers, something I’ve not thought absolutely necessary.

Hey ho! And thanks,

Richard
P
Phosphor
Aug 27, 2006
"it doesn’t work on Macs at all!"

If it displays onscreen, it can be grabbed.

—Somebody, somwhere, a long time ago.

….It’s an axiom by now.

🙂
RH
Richard_Haylock
Aug 27, 2006
OK, folk, I’ve reduced the pic quality, removed the right click disable script, added the doctype in the pre-set’s template pages and worked out how to use the security section of the Photoshop web photo gallery and obtained FF and NS and tested and uploaded to <http://www.theairingcupboard.com/galleries.htm>

It all seems to work, so it’s down to you all pointing me in the right direction. A million thanks and virtual beers all round!

Bye for now,

Richard

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections