alpha from layer, transparency, or eliminating background?

NJ
Posted By
Nancy_Jacobs
Aug 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep running into this problem….

I have a file with a background color layer, and a transparent layer above it with color additions.

I’m using the upper transparent layer in a 3D application, where I will layer these color additions over colors on my object in that program, so, I don’t want the background color layer, i just want to save the upper layer and preserve its transparency.

There are two ways I can think of that this could be done, but neither has worked for me.
1. save the file by some format which will preserve the transparency. The problem here is that nasty background layer. Even disabled, it still forces a background color which screws up the transparency. The only way I’ve found to get this option to work is if the background layer itself is transparent. BUT, this poses another problem. I could create a new transparent image with the same dimensions, and cut the desired transp. layers from the original file and add them on top of the new transparent background. EXCEPT, this never preserves the positioning of the copied layers — PS only looks at the non-transparent pixel info when it places the layers, so they don’t align as they did in the original file. Too bad there is no ‘fill with transparent’ option!

2. create an alpha to mask out the background (which i could use in my 3D program to eliminate the background layer). Is there any way in PS CS2 to create an alpha out of the layer itself??? I’ve found it imposible to do this accurately by any means I know (or can find in the manual), in a way which preserves degrees of transparency from my layer. It would not be a simple black and white alpha, and even if it was, there is a gradation of transparency at the edges which must be followed, and simple feathering would not be accurate.

PLEASE if anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated. Nancy J

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Aug 25, 2006
BUT, this poses another problem

You never mention what problem deleting background layer creates.

Is there any way in PS CS2 to create an alpha out of the layer itself???

Ctrl-click your layer, then, in the Channels palette, click ‘new channel from selection’ button.
NJ
Nancy_Jacobs
Aug 25, 2006
‘new channel from selection’ button is disabled, because there is no selection. If I select the whole layer, then an all-black alpha gets created. Please see #2 for why making a selection will not work.

as for deleting the background layer, that isn’t possible, as far as i can tell.

thanks,
NJ
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Aug 25, 2006
You skipped over the first part of the solution – ‘ctrl-click your layer’. That will create an exact selection of the object(s) on your layer, including gradual opacity.

To delete a background layer, double-click it to rename it (layer 0 is fine), then drag it to the trash.
NJ
Nancy_Jacobs
Aug 26, 2006
Ah. 2 things got me there. First, you meant ctrl-click the layer ICON. I was ctrl-clicking the actual layer.
Also, then it makes what looks like a simple selection (marching dots). But actually after you click the ‘make alpha from selection’ button, the gradual opacity alpha shows up.

It often seems that PS can only be learned (apart from experimenting and very occasionally when the manual actually conveys useful information…:) by finding out these ‘secret handshake’ moves — from folks nice enough to share.

many thanks!
NJ

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections