Creating a 2 color doucment in CMYK mode?

AD
Posted By
Amanda_Doan
Aug 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently been introduced to the world of 2 color work……..but it needs to be in CMYK mode. I can do a duotone, which is easy, but doing two color in CMYK mode is just blowing my mind. I can’t figure it out.

Can anyone explain the process in detail. Do I start with a *blank* publication and format it to 2 color and then create or do I create the publication then convert it to 2 color? lol, I hope that makes sense.

I’ve been told to create two new channels, one being black, one being whatever color I’m working with, then merging them and then spliting them apart again. When I create the two new aplpha channels (or spot color, I’ve tried both) the *Merge Channels* option is never availalbe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Aug 24, 2006
Amanda,

All spot-colour content has to be created in Spot colour channels.

Start with a new CMYK document. Create two new spot channels from the channels palette.

Create your content in the appropriate spot channel for the colour you require.

Just remember that by default, spot channels overprint. If you need knock-outs you will have to create them yourself by deleting the appropriate area from the other channel(s).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections