BC
Posted By
Bonnie_Creevy
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned a bunch of wedding photographs. But I ended up with all of this noise and lint looking marks wherever there was black….like on the tuxes. I cleaned the glass with a lint free cloth and when it still happened I actually had a coupel professionally scanned and they look the same. 🙁 The onto itself is perfectly clear so all I can guess is that it is due to the photos paper material as it is slightly rough looking.

<http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/BCreevy/22.jpg>

Any tips or links on what I could do to clean this stuff up? Everytime I have used teh despeckle option it just makes things look blurry.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 23, 2006
You will always pick up the surface of the photographic paper when scanning I’m afraid.

Are you not able to use the original negatives or digital file?

I assume the images are yours to copy. If they are professional wedding photographs, of course, the copyright will belong to the photographer who took them and there are very stiff penalties for stealing copyright material.
BC
Bonnie_Creevy
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks. I am a photographer as well and well aware of copyright issues. 🙂 These are for a friend and are not being scanned to print. I am just making her a dvd slideshow of her wedding. I don’t need the pictures perfect since we are not printing them, she already has the photos. Just enough to look decent on a television.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 23, 2006
The only way to minimise the pattern of textured paper is to forget scanning and photograph the print with careful lighting (and that isn’t 100% successful either).

You need the negs.
HB
Heather Bell
Aug 23, 2006
Mask faces with a feather effect, blur background with gaussian blur until texture is hidden but but blur isn’t too obvious, use clone to clean up any spots. I have to do this all the time when people bring in photographs for funeral programs and business cards. Having the face sharp gives the illusion of sharpness to the rest of the photograph.
F
Firebird
Aug 23, 2006
This works.

<http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/grainsurgery/index.html>

AZ

oh, If you choose to try this; I set a level of 5 and use blending modes (Overlay-Soft Light) to sharpen.

I use it all day.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 23, 2006
just making her a dvd slideshow of her wedding.

I don’t mean to be a kill-joy here but..

DVD slideshows are as much a professional wedding photographer’s stock in trade as traditional reprints.

Copying his/her work to reproduce the images electronicaly is as much of a breach of copyright as making copy prints.

By producing what can only be a sub-standard slideshow, you will be doing the bride and the photographer an injustice.

If your friend approaches the photographer she should be able to purchase a DVD of her wedding.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 23, 2006
This works.

I’m sure it does. But why are we aiding and abetting someone to steal the livelyhood of another professional?

Notwithstanding the fact the photographer would probably charge a lot less than the $179 dollar cost of Grain Surgery to supply a top quality DVD slideshow of the wedding.
F
Firebird
Aug 23, 2006
duh…
oh,
Maybe I read wrong?
Somebody paid a photographer to take wedding pictures.
Those pictures (outside an agreement to copyrights) belong to the purchaser and they can use them any way they choose.
In fact; if the photographer has not received a release from purchaser, they cannot be used by the photographer, period.

AZ

oh-oh,
Why would I recommend an inferior method?
they obviously own Photoshop and it is something they will use over and over again. (cheap at the price).
They let you try it first too.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 24, 2006
Putting aside the copyright/work for hire issue and just addressing the technical issue of a scanner picking up the paper texture as noise, I would suggest, at a minimum, making sure that the scanner does not have sharpening turned on, which will accentuate this. Also, if your scanner has a descreening option (or "magazine" setting), try with and without this setting turned on to compare.
BC
Bonnie_Creevy
Aug 24, 2006
" But why are we aiding and abetting someone to steal the livelyhood of another professional? "

Unbelievable. Maybe because I just wanted to post the actual question and didn’t feel the need to have to post some long drawn out explanation of something so obvious on an Adobe board. But I guess the web is the web and people like to assume the worst in others. So….~SIGH~…. her pictures were taken by a professional photographer but also one that is her friend. This photographer lives in another state, does not shoot digitally nor does she make DVDs. I DO have permission to make her a DVD from the photographer. No, I do not have the negatives. I could ask her to mail them, but considering I am doing this for free for her it seems more of a pain in the rear. Not to mention, I have no clue on how scanning negatives is done.

Thank you to those that helped and didn’t just automatically assume things. You gave me enough help to make at halfway decent. like said, this is not meant to be some highly professional piece. I didn’t need perfection. thanks again.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 24, 2006
Thank you to those that helped and didn’t just automatically assume things

Hey, don’t take it personally.

The very fact it has been discussed here will help raise awareness in those who do think nothing of stealing another professional’s work.

Now you’ve made it clear you don’t fall into that category, that’s cool.

So much of it goes on these days. Before almost every home had a scanner and inkjet printer, wedding photographers used to make the bulk of their income from selling reprints. Now they have to hike up their prices for the initial coverage instead.

Back to the practicalities: If you could get hold of the negs almost any pro lab will be able to scan them to CD for you quite cheaply (in fact most automatically do so to output via their digital printers). Once you have the files on disc, making them into a DVD slide show will be a breeze – certainly easier than scanning prints and all the cufuffle that goes with it!

Friends? 🙂
F
Firebird
Aug 24, 2006
Just a thought for chrisjbirchall;
The next time you read a post for help…
try helping instead of acting like a Cop.
You made a fool of yourself.
Critics always do.

"It’s more fun to be helpful and friendly".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections