LR
Posted By
larry_reibstein
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My new Toshiba Satellite laptop failed to operate on a 100 Mb PSD file. Ran out of "memory" when I was working in PS CS on that file (only one layer). specs:
Intel Duo Core 1.73 Mhz
2 Gb RAM
2 Mb cache
PhotoShop CS I purchased for my Pentium 2.4 Mhz

On my Pentium desktop I use CS for PSD files oft times as large as 500 Mb. It runs real slow, but it works.

When I installed that same CS on the laptop, a 100 Mb file ended because it ran out of (RAM) memory.

In searching with Google, I found a couple of processor benchmark performance sites that mentioned that when running PhotoShop on a dual core processor there are memory problems, and that we’ll have to wait for an Adobe upgrade that addresses this shortfall.

Have others had this difficulty with a duo core laptop?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 23, 2006
Try installing the updated multiprocessor support module for CS.
LR
larry_reibstein
Aug 24, 2006
Michael:

Where (URL?) can I get this updated module? Is there one for plain ole CS, and not just CS2?
AC
Art Campbell
Aug 24, 2006
Larry,
It’s on the PS downloads/updates page, but it is for CS2. And Adobe doesn’t support older releases. On the laptop, have you got virtual memory set large and other performance tweaks on? Doesn’t seem as if it should choke on that size file unless the disk is really packed tight.

Michael,
The brief write-up says it’s for "Machines with more than four processors in total (counting HyperThreading) … " so if you have a single dual-core processor, is it worth bothering with?

Cheers,
Art
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 25, 2006
He’s using CS, not CS2. There was one for CS and it is still available. For some reason, the Downloads menu lists only PSCS2, but if you click on the Updates-Windows link, the listing includes updates for CS as well, and the link to the MP support update for CS is at < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2560> .

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections