Posted By
nospam
Aug 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help please —

I’m doing a website for a 40th HS class reunion; trying to scan images out of the original yearbook to use in this website.

However the scanned images come in with the little dots and lines that make up the image. Pretty much damage the quality of the images for use.

I even went to a local branch of a national copy place and they tried some of their magic on the scanning side with no joy.

So apparently I’m going to have to deal with images that have this pixilation. Is there any way to use Photoshop CS to fix them; keep the sharpness and clarity of the image while getting rid of the relatively large dots that make up the image?

Would appreciate some advise .. and thanks ……

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MT
mark.thomas.7
Aug 3, 2006
I’m sure more eloquent answers will follow, but either look for the words ‘descreen’ or ‘moire’ in your scanner software – it may have a function built in, OR:

– scan at a fairly high resolution, eg 600/1200 dpi.
– Blur the image, experiment with the amount to get rid of the dots but not lose too much detail.
– Resize the image back down to the size you want, using a resample-type algorithm.
– maybe sharpen a little..

Job done.

wrote:
Help please —

I’m doing a website for a 40th HS class reunion; trying to scan images out of the original yearbook to use in this website.

However the scanned images come in with the little dots and lines that make up the image. Pretty much damage the quality of the images for use.

I even went to a local branch of a national copy place and they tried some of their magic on the scanning side with no joy.

So apparently I’m going to have to deal with images that have this pixilation. Is there any way to use Photoshop CS to fix them; keep the sharpness and clarity of the image while getting rid of the relatively large dots that make up the image?

K
Kingdom
Aug 3, 2006
wrote in news:1154594725.635138.298980
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I’m sure more eloquent answers will follow, but either look for the words ‘descreen’ or ‘moire’ in your scanner software – it may have a function built in, OR:

– scan at a fairly high resolution, eg 600/1200 dpi.
– Blur the image, experiment with the amount to get rid of the dots
but
not lose too much detail.
– Resize the image back down to the size you want, using a resample-type algorithm.
– maybe sharpen a little..

Job done.

wrote:
Help please —

I’m doing a website for a 40th HS class reunion; trying to scan
images
out of the original yearbook to use in this website.

However the scanned images come in with the little dots and lines
that
make up the image. Pretty much damage the quality of the images for use.

High res scan 1200
duplicate the layer
Gussian blur the top layer and set it to colour mode overlay resize to requirement
Play with colour saturation on bottom layer to suit

———————————————————— ———— Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
———————————————————— ————
MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 3, 2006
wrote in message
Help please —

Try Image>Mode>LAB
Check the A&B channels for detail (there shouldn’t be any in a "normal" scan) Blur both A&B channels to soften the "detail". This can have the effect of darkening and knocking the contrast of the L channel; try Image>Adjustment>Curves on this channel to lighten it and improve the contrast.

HTH
MH

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections