M
Posted By
Matjaz
Jul 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open several files and after some time jumping among other opened programs and I return back in PS no files (photos) could be seen on the screen. I can see only toolbars. I didn’t have problems till now. I have Matrox 32 MB and 768 MB RAM.

br matjaz

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 31, 2006
768MB of RAM is not a lot of space in which to be "jumping among other opened programs" whilst a heavyweight app like CS2 is running. Maybe this is where the trouble lays?

Have you got plenty of free, defragmented, scratch space – preferably on a different physical disk to the OS? This is important because Scratch effectively acts as PS’s ram, and it where your open images files reside.

And with so little on-board RAM, have you got Photoshop’s allocation lowered from the default 55% down to about 40% to allow sufficient free system resources for "program jumping"?

Hope this helps.

Chris.
P
Pipkin
Jul 31, 2006
on a different physical disk to the OS

I was an uncompromising stalwart of this postulate till now. But, having 2 separate HDDs, maybe it’s better the Windows swap (paging) file to allocate on a different physical disk (HDD1) to the OS, leaving Photoshop scratch on ‘primary’ HDD (HDD0) but on the other partition than that where system is installed (commonly Disk C)?
I suppose that swap file works much more intensively and frequently than PS scratch. And it is good for other application too.
What d’you think?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 1, 2006
I’ve been running Photoshop CS and then CS2 with 768 MB on a totally obsolete 733 MHz machine for several years and I can hop back and forth between apps without any problem other than sluggishness due to paging. I’ve never encountered open files disappearing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections