PC
Posted By
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It might be better to have the surprise effect, rather than extrapolate and imagine a half-poorly described function that the friend of the neighbour of the cleaning lady of the cousin of a tester saw in the reflection of a window; that might not exist at all… (the window or the neighbour 😉 )

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 27, 2006
Adobe is exploring offering two versions of Photoshop CS3, a Standard version and a Premium version.

just for the record, THIS IDEA SUCKS ADOBE!!! THAT’S WHAT ELEMENTS IS FOR!!!
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
I second Dave’s sentiments.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 27, 2006
Me too.

I think most of us do!
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
When you segment a product offering too much, you confuse the market and create a support nightmare – often times. I think they’re following Microsoft’s lead with the proposed Vista offerings. Like they understand how to subdivide their market that well… right.
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jul 27, 2006
Why rush? PS CS2, v9.0.1 needs to be fixed first.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Jul 27, 2006
I’ll second that. I have not been impressed by Adobe’s response to the problems in CS2. A recent article in "Photoshop User", the NAPP journal, by Dave Cross entitled "Information Please!" goes into detail of how useful the Info Palatte is. Dave fails to mention that we have not had a fully functioning Info Pallate since PS7. All Adobe can say is there are "known problems".
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
I have not been impressed by Adobe’s response to the problems in CS2.

I second that as well.

What irks me is this:

I bought Acrobat 6 Pro. It has a file order issue – I documented it. The basic issue is that when you insert pages into an existing acrobat document, no matter how you do it, they will not be added in the expected order.

Their answer was to upgrade to 7.0 (that was just after 7 was released – like within a week). There was no confirmation that the problem would be solved in ver 7. So, I went back to 4.01.

Photoshop has a similar problem with image order – for an unknown reason it process the last image opened first (in batch ops). That’s a problem when image order is important and you re-name files. So, I have to use version 7 for those functions – long story, but the point is, I have to revert versions for specific tasks.

That, in concert with the other little stinkbugs results in Adobe suggesting the next version. And in that case, there’s no guarantee that the issue will be fixed, or, that they won’t have other bugs that have to wait for the next version.

Their performance of late, regarding these types of issues, has been less than impressive.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jul 27, 2006
I went from Photoshop 4 LE to 5.5 full pack, to 6, to 7 to CS because of what I needed. I use CS. CS-2 didn’t offer enough over CS for me to consider up-grading (other than the improved ACR).

I’ve been planning on reading what is new with CS-3, when that information is available & downloading the CS-3 trial, when available. Then I could see if, for MY use, if it would be worth the normal upgrade price.

I do photographs. I need ACR, adjustment layers, filters, clone & healing, burning and dodging,perspective control, etc. As I print my work, I have zero need for US SWOP (SWAP?) coated previews. However I sure would like more 16 bit-color tools.

All I know about slices is that they are aparently useful in web design. I guess vector graphics may come into play with text, which I sometimes use, but other than that… Another zero need. Somewhere back down the upgrade path I found Panatone swatches. With zero need, I haven’t even tried to see if they are in CS.

The point to all this is that IF Photoshop is split, I will have no say in what goes into the high end and what goes into the low end product. I suspect that a lot of what I have used on some pictures that have hung in museum display will be considered "high end use" and a lot of the web things I have never used will be put into the low end product.

I’m 100% behind Dave but I’m willing to say it as "It is a S**t of an idea".

Bill
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 27, 2006
Bill, you make my point elegantly in as much as it is very difficult for a company to effectively sub-segment it’s market. It’s not like it’s a science, it’s a bunch of guys sitting in a room with a hunch. Then they see if the hunch is right. Who loses? We do.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jul 27, 2006
I think they’re following Microsoft’s lead…

There’s a picture of following Microsoft right next to the definition of "utterly stupid" in my illustrated dictionary. Oh, and "Microsoft’s lead"? Microsoft isn’t a leader, they’re the king of followers.

Oh wait, now I get it. Lead, as in Pb.
D
deebs
Jul 27, 2006
Plumbum? lol!

I have high expectations of CS3 and i hope that i am not disappointed. It had better be 64 bit or it’s CS4 for me 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 27, 2006
Did you guys look at the date on the article? Do you recall past articles that actually had some truth to them? Do you recall how long they lasted before they got pulled?

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2006
I love all the consternation over a RUMOR.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 27, 2006
Especially one that’s almost a year old.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 28, 2006
No consternation if CS2 had the problems fixed to the user’s satisfaction.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Jul 28, 2006
That’s it exactly. It’s no RUMOR that it took forever to get a patch for CS2. We were told that we had to wait because they wanted to get it right. It’s no RUMOR that the patch needs a patch.

The consternation is that CS2 will never get fixed and the new version will have more broken stuff that doesn’t get fixed either.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 28, 2006
Consternation? That’s the term you chose? <shaking head>

I would have thought, Chris, since the product has your name on it, that you would be just a wee bit more empathetic to the notion that we have silence from Adobe so when there seems to be a credible source of news, we listen extra closely.

You’ve told us nothing, really, about fixes to serious issues, and CS3 is being bantered about in the rumor mill – is it really that surprising to you that we would react this way?

You have insider knowledge, we do not. It is impolite to laugh at us for it.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2006
It is impolite to laugh at us for it.

but probably lots of fun! 😛
P
Pipkin
Jul 28, 2006
It would be nice for all of us to get a copy of PS CS3 for thorough beta-testing. Why not? 😉

Put me on the list of candidates (I promiss, I’ll keep all PS3’s secrets).
FD
false_dmitrii
Jul 28, 2006
dave milbut quoted:

Adobe is exploring offering two versions of Photoshop CS3, a Standard version and a Premium version.

…."Standard version customers were assured that the pricing models they’ve grown accustomed to will remain unchanged."

🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 28, 2006
Chris speaks in sound bites, mostly. One line answerers to problems.

Chris, I honor your contribution to the PS efforts over many iterations of PS. But it seems that this in depth capability in the architecture and engineering of PS stops at the door. One or two lines of code does not constitute a program, and the same can be said about responses to problems.
D
deebs
Jul 28, 2006
On the other hand if one says too much there are probably a similar bundle of woes?

It seems far better to have the chap post and say/banter as the rest of us do in my opinion.

Besides, if everytime he posts he is put into an interrogation spotlight … well, you know what i mean?
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 28, 2006
Condescention is no substitute for banter, deebs.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 28, 2006
It is better to remain silent and appear a fool
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. 🙂
RH
r_harvey
Jul 29, 2006
I bought Acrobat 6 Pro. It has a file order issue – I documented it. The basic issue is that when you insert pages into an existing acrobat document, no matter how you do it, they will not be added in the expected order.

Tony, see <http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/>
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2006
…"Standard version customers were assured that the pricing models they’ve grown accustomed to will remain unchanged."

well if they DO split it (which i still think is a really bad MS like idea!) that would be most welcome. thanks for posting that.
FD
false_dmitrii
Jul 29, 2006
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I should have been more clear that I wasn’t quoting the article.

I wish the pricing models would change, in the downward direction. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2006
i’m ok with the upgrade price(149-169 usd), but if they try to squeeze me again by making the upgrade to "standard" 169 and the upgrade to premium say, 300, i don’t know what i’ll do… i already purchased the "premium" package (in going with photoshop and not ps elements) under the impression that upgrades to that package would be more or less consistant. if they were to force me to choose again (by paying more per upgrade) between the "regular premium" and the "premium premium", i’d have a real problem with that.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 29, 2006
Why don’t they adopt a modular cost model – you buy Photoshop Basic for a lower price and pay for the features (eg Bridge, ACR, CMYK, Vanishing Point, Lens Correction, Perspective Cloning, etc, etc, that you actually want?
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 29, 2006
…. and by Basic I don’t mean Elements!
P
Pipkin
Jul 29, 2006
Good idea, John. As for me, I don’t need Bridge, ImageReady, 16-bit mode, Vanishing Point, Lens Correction, Perspective Cloning, Noise Reduction (as it is), Red Eye Removal, Liquify, Smart Objects, Extract (as it is) and a little bit more…
Since entirely my job is scanning, color correction and crop/resize 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2006
now if they went the other way… the "premium" upgrade staying at the 169 price point and give uses the option to get the standard for say 119, that might be a smart move and get more people who skip version to upgrade while still keeping us every version upgraders happy…
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 29, 2006
Tony, see <http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/>

Harv,

Thanks, I already have PDF toolkit. Not much help for the acrobat problem though.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jul 29, 2006
YrbkMgr,

I have been honored by your agreeing with me. <grin>

WHile all this might be rumor, it is possible that the rumor was started to see just what the consumer base thinks of it.

Pipkin,

I would have been willing to pay for an ACR-3 for CS. I sure wasn’t willing to buy a CS-2 upgrade just for that. But somehow I don’t see a "Photoshop Framework" with a menu of extra cost plug-ins as being in the works. … That is UNLESS it ie Elements-5 (6?) and you up-grade it, in pieces, to the Photoshop you need. <SHUDDERS at that that thought>
D
deebs
Jul 29, 2006
Modular costing?

It seems a neat idea but how much will it cost?

Apart from 2 or 3 favourite filters I think the rest may be safely "modularised"

On the other hand there is the "Wow! Look what you get in the package" experience that MAY be disaffected by optional modular components.

I think pick n mix may be preferable in the sense: Pick your 3 or 4 main components eg dreamweaver, golove, photoshop, file browser, bridge, …

But such a drastic change may benefit from pilot project customer research?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2006
I agree w/deebs and remember suggesting similar when the cs "suite" came out. i’d not mind seeing what i called "cafeteria" style suites where you can chose, say your four main apps and go. or say 2 from the "A" list, 1 from the "B" list and 1 from the "C" list or similar…
RH
r_harvey
Jul 30, 2006
And granular upgrades, as well?

Say you’ve ordered five courses and dessert, and now the company tells you that it’s upgrade time. But only the antipasto has been significantly improved, and you really don’t want to pay for another meal plus gratuity.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2006
well i prefer the older collection model and that’s what i was originally saying the cafeteria style would be good for. i still like that idea, but i’ve only upgraded premire and illy once each while ps has been through like 3 or 4 in that time… i guess i’m not really a suite kinda guy. 🙂
D
deebs
Jul 30, 2006
C’mon Tomaz – leave ‘im alone.

Id guess he can only say what he can say as part of the professional responsibilities attached and so forth.

Cafeteria style: who says it is embedded in stone?

In 2007 I select products A, B, D and E out of A, B, C , D, E, F and G

In 2010 I chose to update A and B and choose new product I

problem? No problem.

I still have legacy products operating in compatibility mode and new product I whatever that may be.

Personal choice may (as in just may) beat commercial structured selling? besides, they’ll all be web based apps anyway? (as in download, install register and operate?)

ps – hi dave good to see you. hopw yor saving for that beer and steak 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2006
🙂
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 31, 2006
Why don’t they adopt a modular cost model – you buy Photoshop Basic for a lower price and pay for the features (eg Bridge, ACR, CMYK, Vanishing Point, Lens Correction, Perspective Cloning, etc, etc, that you actually want?

They don’t even want to sell Photoshop alone … that is why they bundle it in all sorts of ways … and you want them to break it down and sell parts of Photoshop.

In 10 years you will all be complaining when software has moved to a per use system from the current one.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 1, 2006
Adobe corporate policy says that we cannot talk about unannounced products or versions of products.

We really are constrained in what we’re allowed to say.
B4
Bob 4
Aug 1, 2006
I could care less now.

Ver 9 (CS2) is my last Photoshop.

I found PSP edits pictures just fine without
trying to sell me pictures to edit. They actually
believe I can make my own. No Bridge acting
as their personal spam generator.

Illustrator 10 was my last Illi. PSP does what I
used to use Illi for.

GoLive 8 (CS2) is my last, since Adobe
abandoned it, I’ll buy a less expensive
product from a different company next time..

Premier 6.5 is my last. The new HDTV will be
done in Sony Vegas.

I wish Adobe good luck with their shift to being
a new Macromedia company, but there are to
many competitors creating better products than
their old base for less cost to retain my loyalty.

PSP-X $66 competitive upgrade from Photoshop.
TC
Tim Colley
Aug 5, 2006
if you’re thinking of switching to PSP-X then really you shouln’d be using photoshop anyway, it’s obviously far too powerful for you . i only use PSP for screenshots. heh

"Bob 4" wrote in message
I could care less now.

Ver 9 (CS2) is my last Photoshop.

I found PSP edits pictures just fine without
trying to sell me pictures to edit. They actually
believe I can make my own. No Bridge acting
as their personal spam generator.

Illustrator 10 was my last Illi. PSP does what I
used to use Illi for.

GoLive 8 (CS2) is my last, since Adobe
abandoned it, I’ll buy a less expensive
product from a different company next time..

Premier 6.5 is my last. The new HDTV will be
done in Sony Vegas.

I wish Adobe good luck with their shift to being
a new Macromedia company, but there are to
many competitors creating better products than
their old base for less cost to retain my loyalty.

PSP-X $66 competitive upgrade from Photoshop.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections