PC
Posted By
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My cousin asked me a good question, and I can’t answer him… How do we do to open a PNG that is in RGBA without having the transparency applied automatically?

That transparency is a problem as what is totally transparent on a layer is lost in Photoshop (in the age of non-destructive editing, and huge hard drives, it sounds so oldskool), so, there is no way to stack layers to retreive 100% opacity everywhere?

BUT, the data is stored in RGB+A, so the data IS in the file (my cousin is coding a 3D environment (see <http://jfdegbo.blogspot.com/> for a work in progress in French), and had coded a way to retrieve the RGB data only, but would like to do so in Photoshop.

I already looked on what Trevor Morris has on its site, but might have missed the answer. It might be as simple as a shortcut, but I haven’t yet found it. Found nothing in the PS MAC and PS PC archives…

Thanks by advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TM
Trevor_Morris
Jul 21, 2006
Perhaps I’m missing the point here, but if you create a new document with a transparent background (i.e., no background layer), then draw a circle and save it as an RGBA PNG, what colour/background would you expect if you *could* load the PNG with no transparency?

I don’t know if it helps, but you could tell your buddy to read in the bKGD (background) chunk, and use that as the assumed background colour; however, this chunk is seldom present.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2006
PNG "alpha" is transparency — that’s the way PNG is defined.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections