GG
Posted By
geisha_girl
Jul 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am making a illustration with gold colour in it..
But I do not see the colour gold in default setting, and I assume you have to create your , own plalet but don’t know how..
How do you do this and what is the setting most close to gold?

Any advice appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 19, 2006
DO you mean you plan to print using a gold spot colour?

In which case, create a Spot Channel. You should be able to get Gold from the Pantone Metallic list in the Custom colour dialog box
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 19, 2006
If this is something you are not having professionally printed, and you are looking for a "gold" color, and you don’t have a solid to process guide, PMS 122 C:0 M: 18.5 Y: 83 K:0 makes a nice light goldenrod representation. You will never replicate real gold in inkjet or laser print, or CMYK print in a truly "realistic" sense. Gold ink has metal in it, makes it shiney. 🙂
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 19, 2006
You will never replicate real gold in inkjet or laser print, or CMYK print in a truly "realistic" sense

I totaly disagree 100% although you wont get a metalic shine you can represent gold out of RGB and CMYK very easly.

Quick easy proof of that woudl be to photograph some gold then print it.
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 19, 2006
Okay, to me, gold has a metallic shine, hence, gold. Like silver, or copper, it’s metal.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 19, 2006
gold has a metallic shine

easy enough to reproduce. The metallic twinkle that you get in metallic ink however cant be reproduced.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 19, 2006
When you are creating something for print, you dont have to use a specific spot colour. You can use any spot you like and ask the printer to substitute that colour for the gold.

Added info:

Metalic inks can only be printed as solid ink, no halftones.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 19, 2006
There are various kinds of transfer material, which will make metallic or iridescent colors stick to laser printer or photocopier toner. You apply the material to the area to be metallic, and run it through the printer or copier again, where the heat from the fuser transfers the material.

There are similar methods where you can make metallic decals, both water-slide and dry-transfer, or to transfer printed art to a metallic substrate, for making plaques and such.

You may be able to find this material at a local paper or office supply store, and a search for "metallic transfer laser printer" will yield other sources.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 19, 2006
There are various kinds of transfer materia

I would have thought if the OP wants a spot colour, then they are printing on a press and not a bubble jet or laser. But nice tip. I ahve never seent his before, is this the same as block foil printing ?
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 19, 2006
<Metalic inks can only be printed as solid ink, no halftones>

I print metallic halftones all the time. Any metallic, even the new crazy pink and turquoise ones. It’s more shiney in solid form, but the metal still shows up in screens. Did a large brochure for a designer that used 3 metallics, in various screens, full coverage full bleed with picture and halftones for a medical corporation. Looked fantastic. I find the most common mistake is people asking for metallics on non-coated stock. If you don’t want a gloss, at least a satin, otherwise the inks just absorbs in and the metallic quality of the ink is almost non-existant.
Make sure your printer is spec’d for this transfer material before you use it or you’ll end up with a ruined drum or fuser unit.
GG
geisha_girl
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks all for your usefull advice.
I found pantone metalic palette close to the gold I wanted. I gonna ask printer for the option to print this.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections