Posted By
Baronnn
Jun 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am quite new to Adobe Photoshop and I cannot figure this out. Hopefully some one can help me. A colleague of mine asked me to make a print screen of something and then save the print screen with 300 dpi. How can I do this?

The Adobe Photoshop I am running is CS2, version 9.0

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 28, 2006
"Baronnn" wrote in message
Hello,

I am quite new to Adobe Photoshop and I cannot figure this out. Hopefully some one can help me. A colleague of mine asked me to make a print screen of something and then save the print screen with 300 dpi. How can I do this?

Thanks!
Do you mean ppi or dpi? dpi applies to printers. see
http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

For ppi, go to Image>Image Size. Set resolution to 300 (ppi) if original figure is smaller than this, make sure that the resample image box is ticked (this will make your final image file size bigger, not the image dimensions) and select bicubic smoother.

MH
A
AAvK
Jun 28, 2006
Hello,

Thanks!

Yes DPI is a printing resolution of actual ink (dots of ink per inch) , PPI is pixels_ per_inch digital resolution, they mean that, the latter. This is what is required for printing.

This also requires something called ‘interpolation’ to change the digital size of the file. Photoshop does have interpolation but only for the printing stage in file transfer, it cannot successfully make a 72 PPI image into a 300PPI image that looks natural, other than pixelated, that can then be saved as useable.

In other words, Photoshop will make an image into 300 PPI for printing only, while the file remains as a 72 PPI file on the hard disc.

You think about that, the rest is paranoia.

In order to gain real interpolation for saving files in higher resolution, you need either Genuine Fractals (a plugin software, $$$.$$) or IrfanView (free), which uses the "Lanczos" algorythm in order to change the digital resolution, and it does it very very well. Paint Shop Pro (at least version 7) also has a fantastic algorythm / interpolator.

http://www.irfanview.com/

}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 28, 2006
"AAvK" wrote in message
Hello,

Thanks!

Yes DPI is a printing resolution of actual ink (dots of ink per inch) , PPI is pixels_
per_inch digital resolution, they mean that, the latter. This is what is required for printing.

This also requires something called ‘interpolation’ to change the digital size of the file. Photoshop does have interpolation but only for the printing stage in file transfer, it cannot successfully make a 72 PPI image into a 300PPI image that looks natural, other than pixelated, that can then be saved as useable.

Not true. It can make 72 ppi into 300 ppi if you have resample unchecked. This will reduce the size ( height width) of the image whilst keeping the pixel (image size) intact.

MH

In other words, Photoshop will make an image into 300 PPI for printing only, while the file remains as a 72 PPI file on the hard disc.
You think about that, the rest is paranoia.

In order to gain real interpolation for saving files in higher resolution, you need either Genuine Fractals (a plugin software, $$$.$$) or IrfanView (free), which uses the "Lanczos" algorythm in order to change the digital resolution, and it does it very very well. Paint Shop Pro (at least version 7) also has a fantastic algorythm / interpolator.
http://www.irfanview.com/

}<)))*> Giant_Alex
A
AAvK
Jun 28, 2006
it cannot successfully make a 72 PPI
image into a 300PPI image that looks natural, other than pixelated, that can then be saved as useable.

Not true. It can make 72 ppi into 300 ppi if you have resample unchecked. This will reduce the size ( height width) of the image whilst keeping the pixel (image size) intact.

MH

….That’s nothing genuinely, you still need your printing dimensions. My other mentionings retain them. I became something of a fanatic for increasing small images to printability.

}<)))*> Giant_Alex
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 29, 2006
"AAvK" wrote in message
it cannot successfully make a 72 PPI
image into a 300PPI image that looks natural, other than pixelated, that can then be saved as useable.

MH

…That’s nothing genuinely, you still need your printing dimensions. My other
mentionings retain them. I became something of a fanatic for increasing small images to printability.

Very laudable 😉 Have you succeeded?
You mentioned Genuine Fractals in your first post, I have read a bit about this product but not come across anyone who has used it. Is it worth it?

MH
A
AAvK
Jun 29, 2006
You mentioned Genuine Fractals in your first post, I have read a bit about this product but not come across anyone who has used it. Is it worth it?
MH
Yes it is worth it entirely, and I only have version 2.5. And I have succeded. I think it costs too much as most people should, but it does amazing work. But if you don’t have paint shop pro, try IrfanView before you buy GF. With GF you can turn an 8×10 into a movie poster that looks awesome, up to friggen 800% larger.

Version 2.5, you open an image in Photoshop, then save it as a GF .stn file, then open that .stn via GF, then change it’s PPI and printing dimensions to higher, then save that changed file to .tif or .psd, then print.’

These days with the latest version, GF doesn’t require saving an .stn at all.

But first, that 8×10 must be made into 300-400 PPI (using GF), then save as a new file, then open that new file and make it into huge dimensions. Even then and after that, you might have GF retain those new dimensions and reduce the PPI to 240 (which is good enough for sharp ink jet printing) just to reduce file size. File sizes become massive, so then it’s good to have a very fast CPU with good cooling, and 2 gb of RAM. It is really a great plugin.

}<)))*> Giant_Alex
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 29, 2006
"AAvK" wrote in message

MH
Yes it is worth it entirely, and I only have version 2.5. And I have succeded. I think it costs too much as most people should, but it does amazing work. But if you don’t have paint shop pro, try IrfanView before you buy GF. With GF you can turn an 8×10 into a movie poster that looks awesome, up to friggen 800% larger.

Version 2.5, you open an image in Photoshop, then save it as a GF .stn file, then
open that .stn via GF, then change it’s PPI and printing dimensions to higher, then
save that changed file to .tif or .psd, then print.’

These days with the latest version, GF doesn’t require saving an .stn at all.

But first, that 8×10 must be made into 300-400 PPI (using GF), then save as a new file, then open that new file and make it into huge dimensions. Even then and after that, you might have GF retain those new dimensions and reduce the PPI to 240 (which is good enough for sharp ink jet printing) just to reduce file size. File sizes become massive, so then it’s good to have a very fast CPU with good cooling, and 2 gb of RAM. It is really a great plugin.

Alex,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I see now it is at version 4.1? Didn’t realise it was so "hardware intensive". It’s on my list for after the upgrade.

Regards
Mike H
A
AAvK
Jun 29, 2006
Alex,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I see now it is at version 4.1? Didn’t realise it was so "hardware intensive". It’s on my list for after the upgrade.

Regards
Mike H

You’re welcome. Good luck and enjoy.
AAvK

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections