Posted By
Bob Pensik
Aug 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

Ok so i just bought photoshop and am playing around with it and having a blast, but when i save an image i made i want to set it wallpaper but i can’t seem to be able to do that, i make my images in RGB format, is there a way to save them as some other format that i could use to set to wallpaper or something????

I know this is prolly a simple answer, but i don’t know much if anything about the program!!

Also i was wondering if anyone knows a goodd site or something with good tutorials for making things like cool wallpaper, or just good tutorials on how to use a lot of the things within photoshop

Oh and one more thing, i might be purchasing a Mac soon, and didn’t realize that when i bought this program, is photoshop compatable on both systems with the same CD or do i have to buy a new version compatable for mac???

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin Walls
Aug 2, 2003
First off, RGB isn’t a format, it’s a "mode" in which the colours are represented. That is fine for what you want to do.

Windows wallpaper is generally stored at BMP files [although there are possibilities for using JPEG]. All you need to do is create an image of the right size [say 1024×768 for a screen-full or smaller if you want it to tile]. Then save it somewhere sensible and tell Windows [via Display properties].

Can’t see what a tutorial would tell you, because that’s it. All of this is in the manual and the help file. Frankly, if you’ve just spent over $500 on software, you should expect to invest a little time/effort too.

If you haven’t spent that much, maybe you have Photoshop Elements. In which case, all the above is true, but there’s another forum for that product.

If you have bought the Windows product, you can’t use it on a Mac. If you want to "migrate", you should talk to Adobe Customer Service.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 2, 2003
Quick on the draw Tony … 🙂
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 2, 2003
The PPI setting is irrelevant for images viewed on the screen.

All that counts is the number of pixels.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 2, 2003
I was going to say something but decided to let it pass. Glad you did.
P
primitivedogs
Aug 3, 2003
youre right of course; I was just thinkin you don’t want to start draggin 600 MB files into the nt folder; resizing to screen res would be better though.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 3, 2003
got yer point michael. sometimes we have a tendancy to pick gnat poop out of pepper. <grin>.
P
primitivedogs
Aug 3, 2003
No, thats ok; correct me. Sometimes I write before I think. Isn’t an 8×10 at 300ppi higher resolution than an 8×10 at 72ppi?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 3, 2003
No Michael, what I meant was that since I’ve been a regular in the forum (a little over a year), this subject comes up time after time. It always turns into a huge thread, mostly to dispel urban legends about resolution. So I was going down the path of, the question, in general has been answered, and your telling him the resoltuion for web based work was perfectly sage.

If you resample an image from 300ppi to 72 ppi, it will be much smaller in file size, than it was. When you change ppi, with props constrained, you will change the image dimensions on the screen, but the actual page size, for print, will remain the same.

But if you take a duplicate of that image and change the dimensions only, setting it to the same height and width (in pixels) of the previous image, and you do not change the ppi, the resolution, in terms of ppi will remain the same. Thus it will still be 300ppi, and will be the same file size as the first one in which you changed the resolution only.

Both images will now have the same height and width, they will both have the same file size, but they will both have different page sizes, thus print differently.

So… my whole point was, rather than re-hash what has been hashed out before, your answer was right, as long as one is comparing apples to apples so-to-speak.

Peace,
Tony
P
paul
Aug 3, 2003
It is. But screen resolution doesn’t see 8×10, but only pixels x pixels.

Paul Cowan
www.iconix.biz
"Michael B. Field" wrote in message
No, thats ok; correct me. Sometimes I write before I think. Isn’t an 8×10 at 300ppi higher resolution than an 8×10 at 72ppi?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections