M
Posted By
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have made this mistake of editing pics in photoshop and aslo photoshop elemens and been left initially a large file size of 2MB and its been wittled down to about 500KB – this obvious has consequencese when I want to digitally print large prints from these reduced sized files. I have tried maximising all saving qualities to preserve as much as possible – BUT IS THERE A METHOD IM NOT AWARE OF (OBVIOUSLY) OF USING THESE PHOTOSHOP PROGRAMS BUT preserving the original quality file size so that I can then go out and get the prints of the larger sizes i need without reduction in picture quality? Please help as i have read all the liturture and cant find much on the top. Do other people experience this prblem and if so how do they get arround this issue. Many thanks, BUT please get in contact!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
P L E A S E H E L P
J
jhjl1
Jan 28, 2004
Save your file as TIFF or PSD instead of JPEG. JPEG uses compression. Another possibility is JPEG2000 which was recently discussed here.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I have made this mistake of editing pics in photoshop and aslo
photoshop elemens and been left initially a large file size of 2MB and its been wittled down to about 500KB – this obvious has consequencese when I want to digitally print large prints from these reduced sized files. I have tried maximising all saving qualities to preserve as much as possible – BUT IS THERE A METHOD IM NOT AWARE OF (OBVIOUSLY) OF USING THESE PHOTOSHOP PROGRAMS BUT preserving the original quality file size so that I can then go out and get the prints of the larger sizes i need without reduction in picture quality? Please help as i have read all the liturture and cant find much on the top. Do other people experience this prblem and if so how do they get arround this issue. Many thanks, BUT please get in contact!
M
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
thats great to kmow thanks ja,es its really appreciated.. but one last thing – what will happen when i need to resave the image as a jpeg – will i still find a loose the imagine size for example does the photolab support photoshop format or would i then convert them over to jpeg so i can get this big pictures printed out but again will that be lost cause photoshop as saved them in jpeg for me me?
M
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
think the issue is my jejpeg is like 2mb which i start and expect it to remail there after editing – but photoshop and ellements 2 thrink files ….. there must be a better way!
PD
Pete_D
Jan 28, 2004
Michael,

In case James is not still here: You can save as PSD (or tif) and then Save this time choosing ,jpg, "as a copy".
M
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
think i work it out – just tried an experiment – i open photoshop albulm and the choose to edit the pic with photoshop elements and when i went back to have a look at the specifications of each file size they were both 2MB even the altered pick in photoshop – so if you go trough photshop albulm and edit there with either photoshop elemens then all the information regarding size is maintained. but the question still lys.. what if i wasnt using these photoshop albulm but only using the editing programs mentioned above – now theres a sticky one!
LM
Lou_M
Jan 28, 2004
Don’t worry, Michael, Photoshop Album has nothing to do with what you’re seeing. Photoshop Elements saves its files the same way, regardless of whether you’re using Album or not.

As James & Pete mentioned (and most people on this forum recommend), always save your images as Photoshop PSD files while you’re editing. If you then want to e-mail a copy or send it to a printing/photo store, then do a Save As… (or Save For Web) as a JPEG image. Here is the key to JPEG images: If you want the best quality (largest file sizes) make sure you set the JPEG to highest quality in the Save As or Save For Web dialogs.

That will give you the highest quality JPEG images. Good luck.
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 28, 2004
Michael,

The first rule for editing digital images is to never overwrite or change the original. So, any editing or resizing needs to be done on a copy. You then save that copy under a different file name in the suitable format (jpeg or other). In other words, open your picture in Elements, edit and size it for your particular purpose, save it under a unique name and you are done. If you want another size of the same image (e.g. for e-mailing) you can save the edited picture in the "lossless" PSD format before resizing it. Next you would open this file, resize it and save it again under a different name and so on. In this context it really doesn’t matter if you use Album or not.

Juergen
M
michaelbyczkowski
Jan 28, 2004
thankyou for you short response time and informative information – its really helped me out. thanks again, m does adobe have a site for sharing of pictures?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
Michael,

You can open PSE, open a file, make your edits, save in .psd or tiff format to maintain quality and the layers. If you use Save As and don’t change the filename, your file will be overwritten with your newer version. If you use Save As and choose a new name, you original file is preserved and you have created another copy which is a revised edition of your original.
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 28, 2004
does adobe have a site for sharing of pictures?

Michael,

I don’t think they do. Many people here are using Pbase: http://www.pbase.com.

Juergen

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections