In Add/Remove Programs, what is the size of PS CS2?

B
Posted By
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mine only says 217.00MB – and it doesn’t work properly.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RB
Rudy Benner
May 24, 2006
"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote in message
610 meg here.
E
Ed
May 24, 2006
+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:
S
Scott
May 24, 2006
On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:59:49 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" wrote:

323MB
B
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006
Thanks…..

Any idea why mine is only 217.00MB? I can’t open *.psd files – even if they are created with CS2.

"Scott" wrote in message

323MB
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 24, 2006
How old is your PC?
How many apps have you got installed?
How big a deal would it be to reformat the whole shooting match and start again with a clean installation, installing PS (any flavour) first? As I said earlier, some problems with PS are PC specific and therefore cannot be recreated in other PC’s.
We have proved that there are no inherent problems with your CS PSD’s as we can open them from the upload site. So, whatever is causing your problem is specific to your installation/configuration.
Reformatting may be like amputating your leg when you have blister on your toe, but sometimes a "clean" installation is the only way forward, this thing could run and run (as it already seems)otherwise.

MH
BC
Bruce Coryell
May 24, 2006
Scott wrote:

323MB
Mine says 217 MB, too, but AFAIK it is working properly. I don’t have any add-ins installed in it.
B
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006
AFAIK???

"Bruce Coryell" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

323MB
Mine says 217 MB, too, but AFAIK it is working properly. I don’t have any add-ins installed in it.
B
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006
I have far too many apps on my machine to take that chance. It would put me out of business for far too long. I’m using a Dell Latitude with 1GHz CPU and 512MB ram – Windows XP Pro, SP-2. Also, I just successfully installed CS2 on my wife’s PC. It also says 217.00MB. Right now, I’m running System File Checker – then I’ll try to reinstall. I’m convinced that there is just some small problem that can easily be fixed if the right person recognizes it. So, I don’t want to reformat (yet).

"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
How old is your PC?
How many apps have you got installed?
How big a deal would it be to reformat the whole shooting match and start again with a clean installation, installing PS (any flavour) first? As I said earlier, some problems with PS are PC specific and therefore cannot be recreated in other PC’s.
We have proved that there are no inherent problems with your CS PSD’s as we can open them from the upload site. So, whatever is causing your problem is specific to your installation/configuration.
Reformatting may be like amputating your leg when you have blister on your toe, but sometimes a "clean" installation is the only way forward, this thing could run and run (as it already seems)otherwise.

MH
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 24, 2006
I have far too many apps on my machine to take that chance. It would put me out of business for far too long. I’m using a Dell Latitude with 1GHz CPU and 512MB ram – Windows XP Pro, SP-2. Also, I just successfully installed CS2 on my wife’s PC. It also says 217.00MB. Right now, I’m running System File Checker – then I’ll try to reinstall. I’m convinced that there is just some small problem that can easily be fixed if the right person recognizes it. So, I don’t want to reformat (yet).

Will the problem PSD’s open on your wife’s PC?

MH
B
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006

Yes, ALL of psd’s open on her PC. Also, I updated to 9.0.1 and updated the Help files. Still the same problem. I also noticed that some of the line items in the Help tab are greyed out on my PC – but not on my wife’s PC. One of them is Update (or Updater).

MH
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 24, 2006

Yes, ALL of psd’s open on her PC. Also, I updated to 9.0.1 and updated the Help files. Still the same problem. I also noticed that some of the line items in the Help tab are greyed out on my PC – but not on my wife’s PC. One of them is Update (or Updater).

So, the problem is local to your PC/configuration/installation. If a problem can easily be fixed it is usually easy to find,. You could have a rogue dll working with a faulty registry key accessing a dodgy memory address and writing to a bad sector on your hard drive that doesn’t get on with you AV prog when there’s an R in the month or when there’s a full moon.

Dell’s aren’t the best when it comes to doing a format/clean reinstall as the supplied mirror discs usually install all sorts of junk when reinstalling, but that is what I’d be doing now. Then I’d install PS and see if I could open the CS PSD’s, if I could, then I would install the AV prog and see if they still opened, then connect to the net to get all the Windows updates and see if they still opened. If not, then they disagree with one of the updates, if they do open, continue installing your apps and seeing if they open after each installation. Just had a thought, you haven’t got TweakUI installed have you? If so, you need to undo all the changes that it made and uninstall it.

Best of luck

MH
Best of luck
B
Bobby77501
May 24, 2006

So, the problem is local to your PC/configuration/installation. If a problem can easily be fixed it is usually easy to find,. You could have a rogue dll working with a faulty registry key accessing a dodgy memory address and writing to a bad sector on your hard drive that doesn’t get on with you AV prog when there’s an R in the month or when there’s a full moon.

Dell’s aren’t the best when it comes to doing a format/clean reinstall as the supplied mirror discs usually install all sorts of junk when reinstalling, but that is what I’d be doing now. Then I’d install PS and see if I could open the CS PSD’s, if I could, then I would install the AV prog and see if they still opened, then connect to the net to get all the Windows updates and see if they still opened. If not, then they disagree with one of the updates, if they do open, continue installing your apps and seeing if they open after each installation. Just had a thought, you haven’t got TweakUI installed have you? If so, you need to undo all the changes that it made and uninstall it.

Yes, I have TweakUI installed. What’s wrong with it and why do I have to uninstall it? How would I remember the changes I made with it (I’ve had it for years).

Best of luck

MH
Best of luck

MH
Mike Hyndman
May 25, 2006

Yes, I have TweakUI installed. What’s wrong with it and why do I have to uninstall it? How would I remember the changes I made with it (I’ve had it for years).

Ha,aahh, TweakUI is notorious for screwing up filename extensions and associations (on occasion) and is known to cause problems with PS in particular.(Adobeforums)
It is not a question of just uninstalling it, as any changes that were made through it stay made. There must be a setting on it somewhere that allows you to reset everything to the default settings, particularly file associations. You need to do this.
Does your wife have it installed on her PC?
Microsoft do not support this app for a reason….

Regards

Mike H
BM
Brian McAllister
May 26, 2006
On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:42:36 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" wrote:

MH

If you have a lot of applications, 512MB ram may not be enough for CS2 to run properly. Many Programs use some ram even when not running. I had problems until I added another 512MB and added a 3rd hard drive.

Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections