SD
Posted By
Steve Dell
May 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the absolute widest coverage attainable with an Epson 1280 using 11 by 14 inch paper? The input paper is Red River Polar Satin and it is exactly 11 by 14. When I print a photo, I have at least 1/2 inch all the way around the coverage. I’ve played with the settings in Photoshop CS2 to maximize it to no avail.

I know that the 1280 can’t do "borderless," but I am wondering if there’s a way to get less margin.

TIA

Steve Dell
Tucson

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

FA
Frank Arthur
May 12, 2006
According to Epsons site the 1280 should produce 11" x 14" borderless prints. Check your manual.

"Steve Dell" wrote in message
What is the absolute widest coverage attainable with an Epson 1280 using 11 by 14 inch paper? The input paper is Red River Polar Satin and it is exactly 11 by 14. When I print a photo, I have at least 1/2 inch all the way around the coverage. I’ve played with the settings in Photoshop CS2 to maximize it to no avail.

I know that the 1280 can’t do "borderless," but I am wondering if there’s a way to get less margin.

TIA

Steve Dell
Tucson
J
Jim
May 12, 2006

Well, you know something that isn’t quite correct. The 1280 can create borderless 11×14 prints with some papers. I also have printed borderless prints with Polar Satin on numerous occasions.
What you do is find some kind of paper that the driver will allow borderless prints (but definitely not plain paper), and tell the driver that is what kind of paper you are using.
Jim
TIA

Steve Dell
Tucson
C
CWatters
May 13, 2006
"Jim" wrote in message

What you do is find some kind of paper that the driver will allow
borderless
prints (but definitely not plain paper)

Anyone know why the type of paper matters?

Strikes me as an arbitrary limitation.
BH
Bob Headrick
May 13, 2006
"CWatters" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message

What you do is find some kind of paper that the driver will allow borderless prints (but definitely not plain paper)

Actually there is a good reason. Plain paper will tend to curl and cockle if printed to the bottom. This may become jammed in the output rollers, resulting in a difficult to remove accordion of paper.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
C
CWatters
May 14, 2006
"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
"CWatters" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message

What you do is find some kind of paper that the driver will allow borderless prints (but definitely not plain paper)

Actually there is a good reason. Plain paper will tend to curl and cockle if printed to the bottom. This may become jammed in the output rollers, resulting in a difficult to remove accordion of paper.

Thanks.
SD
Steve Dell
May 15, 2006
I am using Red River Polar Satin. The instructions from Red River tell me to select Glossy Photo Paper. That doesn’t seem to get it done.

Thanks for the dialog.

Steve
"Jim" wrote in message

Well, you know something that isn’t quite correct. The 1280 can create borderless 11×14 prints with some papers. I also have printed borderless prints with Polar Satin on numerous occasions.
What you do is find some kind of paper that the driver will allow borderless prints (but definitely not plain paper), and tell the driver that is what kind of paper you are using.
Jim
TIA

Steve Dell
Tucson

AE
Arthur Entlich
May 16, 2006
It isn’t exactly arbitrary as it may appear.

When the head has to move beyond the edges of the paper, and spray ink on the edge of the paper, the paper needs to remain flat so it neither ripples from the ink or just warps due to it’s storage qualities.

If the paper tends to ripple or warp, the head can catch on the paper edge, both damaging the print with black smears of excess ink on the head surface, and potentially damaging the head as well. As a result only flat and relatively heavy stock that handles ink without rippling is "designed" within the driver to work in borderless mode.

Art

CWatters wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

borderless

J
Jim
May 16, 2006
"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
It isn’t exactly arbitrary as it may appear.

When the head has to move beyond the edges of the paper, and spray ink on the edge of the paper, the paper needs to remain flat so it neither ripples from the ink or just warps due to it’s storage qualities.
If the paper tends to ripple or warp, the head can catch on the paper edge, both damaging the print with black smears of excess ink on the head surface, and potentially damaging the head as well. As a result only flat and relatively heavy stock that handles ink without rippling is "designed" within the driver to work in borderless mode.

Art
And, quite a few types of paper are not very good at borderless. The Epson driver is evidently written to exclude the types of Epson paper that may not make good borderless prints. Epson’s actions are not arbitrary at all. Jim
CWatters wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

borderless

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections