JH
Posted By
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The other day I thought I was experiencing a strange phenomenon. Standing outside, looking upward, I saw this huge blue mass with this incredibly bright light source shining on me that nearly blinded me. But then someone reminded me that we have a sky and a sun. We have been under fog and haze here for so long that the beauty practically overwhelmed me. I hurried up the canyon during my lunch hour and took a few quick images. I had my good clothes on, so I couldn’t get down and wallow in the snow to get anything creative.

Anyway, there was a discussion on the forum awhile back about the merits of black and white photography as opposed to color photography. I want to share a couple of pictures that I took that day, not because they are great compositions or because they are good photographs. I used some of the techniques in Richard Lynch’s "Hidden Powers" book to convert them to black and white, and I think the strong shadows and the lack of color add a lot of appeal to the pictures.

The clouds and the storminess have returned. But when we get another clear day I’m going to put on my grubby old winter clothing and see if I can get some good photographs. In the meantime, I wanted to show these pictures and put in a vote for experimenting with black and white once in a while.

< http://groups.msn.com/JimHessPhotos/winter.msnw?action=ShowP hoto&PhotoID=28>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LM
Lou_M
Jan 27, 2004
Nice photos, Jim. Winter is a wonderful time for monochrome images. Overcast days seem well-suited too, although as Joe mentioned contrast is harder to find.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
James,

That "rock"" image. On the right side of the rock there is an intense black part. Is that part of the image or did you create that. After a while it draws all attention.

It’s about time I got Lynch’s book myself. 🙂

Robert
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 27, 2004
Jim,
I agree with you wholeheartedly about Black & White . I’m a rank amateur as a photog, but have always admired the drama that can be created by B&W . Using the channel mixer in monochrome mode can turn an pleasant , but ordinary color pic into a much more special picture in B&W . If I were a more serious guy, I’d probably devote a printer to monochrome printing and try my luck with Piezography , <http://www.inkjetmall.com/> .

It seems so much more subtle in its treatment of images.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
oh ya, I’ve always enjoyed working with black and white. I think it’s because it is much more of a challenge 😉 ….meaning it’s easier to take a good colour pic. Jim, thanks for sharing your images and enthusiasm !
J
john
Jan 27, 2004
Nice pics, Jim. If I might ask, which of the ‘Hidden Power’ actions did you use for these?
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
Robert,

No, I didn’t add anything to the picture using Photoshop Elements. Everything that is there was part of the original photograph. If I had been able to get down on my knees and get even closer, I think it would have been a better photograph, but as I stated in my first message, I had my good work clothes on and had to return to work. Maybe next week.

John,

I just used to the RGB Separation, and then adjusted the opacity of the "channels" until I had the effect that I was looking for.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 27, 2004
Jim, very well done; especially the first one, Creek inlet, has an extremely nice range of tones. The second one, the rock, is just a little too grey, according to my personal taste.

Leen
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
Leen,

Thank you for your comments. The inlet photograph is my favorite of the two. I think if I had had some sort of reflective material with me, such as a piece of white poster card or similar, I could have enhanced the rock somewhat.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections