CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Margaret, I’ll start with a question based on your new title: are there indeed other tablets that are competitively priced and featured to go head-to-head with Wacom? It seems like Wacom owns the low and medium end at least…

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck,

How come you haven’t plugged your "2" into the PC yet? What are you waiting for? You’ll never go back, IMHO. I love mine and use it for most of my PC chores.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 27, 2004
Been using mine, it is indeed like a pencil, and I will always use the mouse for most everything, but for drawing something zoomed in, it is great!
I am still pretty much a beginner, so I really need to see your posts, try them out, and learn. Lou had the most informative Graphire info, and it really helped me, here it is again,

Lou M – 09:42am Jan 22, 2004 Pacific

Hi, folks. I admit I succumbed to the Wacom Graphire frenzy that was on this forum before the holidays. I got one
for Christmas! (Santa can be so reliable sometimes, especially when provided with URLs.) <ahem> Anyway, I’ve
been using it off and on for a few weeks now, and thought I’d give some tips on what I find useful. These tips are
on my Mac, and I assume similar if not identical things apply to Windows.

1. Set Tracking to Pen Mode. In mouse mode, you don’t get nearly the control you do in Pen mode.

2. I set the side button to be a double-click on the bottom, and right-click on the top. Actually, the right-click
setting didn’t always work, so I chose "Modifier…" and set it to "Control Key" and "Click" (this is a Mac-only thing)

3. I like using the Click Sound setting, but find that Elements pauses whenever a click occurs and this messes up
my flow. So it’s now off.

4. I live and die by tool tips (the little text that pops up when you hover over an icon or button) but it seemed like
they never popped up when I hovered over them with the pen. Then–duh!–I realized my hand was moving/shaking
slightly, so Elements never thought I was hovering in one spot. Then I realized you could lift the pen up so that its
movement wasn’t detected, and then the tooltip would show up. (Aside: then pen only needs to contact the
surface in order to generate a click; to move the pointer on screen, just move then pen while it’s a few millimeters
above the surface.)

5. Then pen’s pad is PEN-SENSITIVE, not TOUCH-SENSITIVE. It took me a while to realize this, although it’s pretty
obvious in retrospect. I keep thinking it’s like a laptop’s touchpad and I should keep my hand/wrist off of it. But
that’s totally wrong–and makes it really hard to draw. So feel free to rest or move your hand across the pad as
you’re drawing; it will not affect the pen at all.

Follow his instructions, and you will get more out of the tablet, Jane
JP
Jack_Potter
Jan 30, 2004
I’m new to wacom tablet and having installed ‘penPalette LE’ when I try and use its palette, I get a box up
"PDF Security Master Password reqd"? Anyone tell where I find This Thanks Jack
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 30, 2004
Chuck, there’s the Macally Icecad for $49, but I don’t know anyone who’s used one.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections