MG
Posted By
montgomery_gabrys
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m considering a (very) large format printed work that shows an image broken down into RGB macro-sized pixels (similar to those seen on jumbotrons and other outdoor screens).

Apart from reading the color values on every single solitary pixel by hand to get the RGB numbers and then applying those color values by hand to larger elements, is there a filter/process/channel technique that would automate this – say – similar to "filter/pixelate/colorhalftone"?

Thanks in advance for the bandwidth,
M.Gabrys
mgabrys(at)netherworld.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Aug 25, 2004
why can’t you simply reduce the resolution of the photo (without resampling) to like 1ppi or whatever rez will yield the size pixel you want.
MG
montgomery_gabrys
Aug 27, 2004
Scaling up and down pixels in photoshop won’t provide me with what I’m asking for. I’ll try again.

I want to make a rendering (started) in photoshop – and then enlarge it – while simulating the red pixel, the green pixel, and the blue pixel, that makes up the image in the same way you’re looking at this on your monitor now.

I want the final output to be comprised of pixels that are red/green/blue only. Your eye would put them back together like they do with TV – or with large outdoor screens.

In photoshop – the pixels are all the color of the pixels. I see values for RGB within the pixels, but I don’t HAVE RGB pixels to work with. I would prefer a method (other than replicating each RGB pixel by hand) to have them created.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 27, 2004
I see now.

Interesting.

I wonder what pattern you are planning on…? alternating R-G-B in each row offsetting the placement in subsequent rows so the all the red pixels diagonals or are they going to line up to form columns?

Whatever pattern you come up with, I imagine you could define that pattern easily enough and fill an alpha channel with the pattern.

Then load as selection and use curves or whatever to make each pixel be only R,G or B.

I’m not sure this idea of optical mixture from a distance will work with a printed piece. I wonder about the need for a black matte..?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 28, 2004
It won’t work in RGB. RGB only works with beams of light (via light projection or as composite images as you see on your TV). For printed pieces, you need to use CMYK. Or at least CMY.

Neil
MG
montgomery_gabrys
Aug 28, 2004
re: CMYK – yes – that’s how you usually build up an image in print form.

-BUT –

I’m hoping to use silkscreen inks of almost day-glo content, and although the work would appear "dim" I can at least aproximate 80% of the values required (gamma) or at least am interrested in experimenting with such.

The pattern or image would be the same as any depicted on an outdoor monitor – I just want it in frozen form – with the same pattern technique building them. I’m still batting zero on the technique to break-out each "pixel" into it’s required 3 elements.

I’m guessing a custom plug-in would need to be created for photoshop since I think I just stumped the gallery. Now to find a programmer or brush up on my C++.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 31, 2004
OK just to play the Devil’s advocate…

How would you do yellow?

In theory, to parallel a big monitor, that would be macro pixels with 1/3 of them being green, 1/3 of them being red, and 1/3 of them being black.

I would bet that no combination of any type of inks printing discrete blocks of red, green and black will be seen as yellow from a distance.

Maybe a dull dark yellowish-greenish color, but not yellow.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections