O
Posted By
Oh2
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS crashes and displays the "Unexpectedly quit" message anytime I use the shear filter on text. Searched the forums for a fix and could only find one remote reference to this problem. The remedy on that thread was to Edit>Purge>Clipboard just before applying Shear. This seems to work, as work arounds go but has anyone else run into this problem and is there a better solution?

Using 10.3.5 on FW800 Mac and have 75% of 2 GB memory allocated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

O
Oh2
Aug 26, 2004
hmm….
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 26, 2004
How big is the file you’re working on?

Neil
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 26, 2004
Shear did that to me too in 7.0.1 on a G4 500Mhz Dual. Haven’t seen it in CS on the same machine.
O
Oh2
Aug 26, 2004
Neil, under 2 MB total. There’s a plain white background layer with a (rasterized) text layer on top that’s been spherized at 100% horizontal. (one line of plain old 24 pt Helvetica)
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 27, 2004
Oh2,

Well, I don’t see why a 2 MB file should bring down your system…

Hmmmm….

Neil
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Somethin’ fishy goin’ on ’round hea’.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Oh2,

Since Purging the Clipboard works, have you tried to see what you have in the clipboard when that happens? Also that might point to a memory issue. Are there any other applications running? Have you checked the RAM?

Another thought, since text is involved, is a corrupted or duplicated font.
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Ramon,

When I go to Edit>Purge>Clipboard it’s always greyed out so, I choose Edit>Purge>"All" instead and that seems to work. As apps (and memory) go, there aren’t any other apps running each time this blamed business goes on and, so far as (corrupted) fonts might go as a possible infirmity, the problem occurs a step or two past text rasterization. Is it possible for filters to become corrupt?
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
I might also mention that I’m a stickler for OS maintenance, repairing permissions before and after installations, leaving myself on every night for cron script and I DO NOT have a collection (or single incidence) of hackware or third party software globbing onto PS routines.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
If you’re satisfied the RAM is not bad or mismatched, and if you’ve tried trashing preferences, and if Purging All clears it, you may have a disk space issue. How much disk space do you have left, both in absolute terms and percentage wise?
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Ramon,

If you’re satisfied the RAM is not bad or mismatched

I don’t know much about RAM except that if you get a bad batch of it, you’ll be in for some hell all over the board and not just in one app or in one filter. As an aside, I’ve often wondered if people that pay premium for RAM that is manufactured by company X at a high price will actually realize some benefit over RAM that’s manufactured by company Y at a significant savings. Given a spec of DDR SDRAM PC2700, for example, is company X’s better than company Y’s?

and if you’ve tried trashing preferences

Tried trashing prefs with PS quit but something isn’t right. When I re-launch PS the Scratch settings are exactly the same. 1st is a a 25 GB partition on an isolated internal drive. 2nd is another separate internal drive and 3rd is yet another separate internal drive.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Oh2,

I don’t know much about RAM except that if you get a bad batch of it, you’ll be in for some hell all over the board and not just in one app or in one filter.

Wrong! Photoshop is notorious for pushing RAM harder than even dedicated software RAM tests. Photoshop makes RAM problems surface that go undetected by the RAM test programs.

As a matter of fact, perfectly good but mismatched RAM modules can cause a problem. I had that case in another computer. Each individual RAM stick was fine, but one was a different module from the other two and the combination was nasty. I could run the offending program (in that case a monitor calibration application) on any single one of those modules, or the two that were the same; but if I mixed them, the calibration program froze.

You haven’t answered my question about disk space.
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
You’re right, total primary disk space (on which OS and PS reside together) is 112 GB, with 38 GB shown as being used, leaving 74 GB of disk space available.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Oh well, a disk space problem can be ruled out. 🙂
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
I assume that’s also available for scratch disk.
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
The 25 GB scratch disk that I originally set up a year ago, and still use is the 1st partition of a separate Seagate Barracuda (internal) disk.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
That should be plenty. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
Could it be that the simpler tasks which you do in Photoshop are only bringing certain RAM sticks into play but when you use the more memory-intensive Shear filter that you are hitting some faulty or mis-matched RAM?

Try removing some of your RAM and see if the problem still occurs.
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks, Ann I’ll give that a try. Makes a lot of sense.
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Ann – You were right, turns out that a 512 module was the culprit afterall. Thanks for your help and yours too, Ram on. =)
O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
Sorry about the check boxes. Unintended.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Glad you ferreted out the culprit.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 28, 2004
I am so glad that we found the answer.

Now I can remove my Sherlock Holmes’ deerstalker!

(I really hate hats.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections