SR
Posted By
sean_ross
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a problem with photoshop CS in that occasionally if I switch applications, either on purpose or by accident, when I am saving a file or executing automated actions, my window and pallettes will disappear. I can see under the window menu that my files are still open, and I can save my files as well as any other function under a menu or key command, but I cannot see a diaglogue box. Thus, I have to guess that when I hit return after pressing save, that it is indeed saving the right file to the right location. This has also happened to me in InDesign.

I think this problem was around in v7 as well under osx. This has happened on several machines, and I have the latest verision of Panther (10.3.5) a dual 2ghz g5 and a 933 mhz g4, and plenty of RAM. I have since reinstalled the system, and done all of the normal things that one does when things of this nature happens. It does make it better (ie., more infrequent), but it still stinks.

I have also verified that several other people in my office have seen this behavior.

Sincerely,

Sean Ross

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
c_watts
Aug 25, 2004
Hitting "tab" will cause this to happen. So you (and the other people in your office) are probably trying to use cmd-tab to change applications, but not getting it right. Just hit "tab" again and your palettes will return.

chris
SR
sean_ross
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks for the prompt reply Chris, but this isn’t the problem. I am a professional Photoshop retoucher (13 years and counting) and work in a large photoshop based studio, and know the program inside and out.

Like I said, when this happens, dialogue boxes, palettes and the window of not only the file I am working on disappears (Ie., my image is no longer visible on the screen), but all other images that I have open disappear. I can access all of my menus, but when I access them, I cannot see the subsequent dialogue boxes (ie., save as, filters–anything)

Thanks,

Sean
CW
c_watts
Aug 25, 2004
Well, then I would do the standard "delete prefs" routine described elsewhere (everywhere) on this forum. I’ve been ussing PS a long time too, but I have never seen this happen.

Are you using more than one monitor? It could be something related to your monitor prefs, but it does not seem likely…

chris
SR
sean_ross
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks again Chris.
Sorry if the last post seemed surly. I just didn’t want anybody to waste their time posting to someone making basic photoshop errors.

At work I have 2 monitors and at home I have 1 monitor. It happens on both computers unfortunately. I am always having to switch out of photoshop due to workflow maximizing practices, so this problem probably will show up a bit more with me than others. I have also tried the photoshop prefs route; and even went so far as to reinstall Panther and Creative Suite completely.

Sincerely,

Sean
P
PShock
Aug 25, 2004
Does everything come back eventually? The only thing I’ve experience close to what you desribe is during some processor intensive task. If Photoshop is churning away at something (could be an action, running a heavy duty filter or a save to a large file), and I switch to another app and then come back to PS before the task is done, I won’t get windows and such until the task has completed — even tho’ menus are there. (But they do come back.)

Could your problem simply be a case of lack of patience? 🙂

-phil
SR
sean_ross
Aug 25, 2004
I wish it was a lack of patience. I can actually save files, and do anything in the program that I don’t need to see a dialogue box for.

thanks,
sean

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections