Posted By
Ted_Abel
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Because there is not enough memory (RAM)."

I have allocated 80% memory to 1158MB available with some left over to spare. I am running 10.2.8 on a Dual MDoor G4 with 2 internal hard drives (80GB & 180GB) set to be the first and second scratch disks. Even when I reboot and restart and only have PS 7 running, I have more than enough RAM available, so why can’t I open the 24MB QXP EPS file or allocate more memory? I do not have any Norton products. Previously I had no problems, so I am wondering what could be the problem or solution?

Thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2004
Try re-making the EPS out of Quark: EPS files made out of QXP are not always reliable.

Also, try "placing" rather than "opening" it.
B
Buko
Aug 24, 2004
Make a PDF instead
TA
Ted_Abel
Aug 25, 2004
I could not make this 2-page PDF file with QXP 6.1 for some reason, because it would crash QXP. That is why I made the (2) EPS file pages to open in PS 7.1 and then resave as a PDF and then reopen and resave in Acrobat 5. The first EPS page worked fine in PS 7.1 but when I tried opening the second EPS page it gave me that message, "Because there is not enough memory (RAM)." Never had this happen before.

Ann says, "try placing," do you mean placing in QXP or another APP that handles files as such (InDesign, etc.)? If yes, I will try doing that to see if it can be done.

I looked on the QXP forums to search if there were any similar PDF crashing incidents as mine, but did come away with any definitive answers. I had already updated the PDF extension fix a while ago – so I know that is not it – and I checked all my placed images to see if there were any anomalies. I found none I could see as a problem. I will also ask for an answer to my PDF crashing incident on the QXP forum and see what other help I can receive there.
B
Buko
Aug 25, 2004
Best advice I can give you is

Stop using Quark its crap.

Leave the "Quark Ages" behind start using InDesign.
TA
Ted_Abel
Aug 25, 2004
Buko,

I do use InDesign, but my client uses QXP 6.1. Both APP’s are useful, but also have their own separate quirks. Sorry, but comments like yours are not remotely helpful!

Ann,

I await her message to see if she has any constructive help in this matter.

Thank you,
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 25, 2004
I meant for you to try "Placing" the problematic EPS in an open Photoshop document (or you could try the same thing in Illustrator), then re-save the file to a new name or as a PDF.

My guess is that there is a problem in your QXP file with a link to an illustration.
TA
Ted_Abel
Aug 26, 2004
Ann,
I tried "placing" this problematic EPS file in an open (empty) document in PS 7.1 and received the same message about "Not having enough Memory (RAM). But, if I place this same problematic EPS file in Illustrator 10 it comes in fine without a hitch. Very strange.

The problematic EPS file originally in QXP 6.1 has (4) duotone EPS photos with the same colors and (1) large TIF photo colored with one of the duotone colors from those EPS photos. There are also (2 of the same) EPS Illustrator logos which are colored b&w and placed on the page. There is only one FONT used and it is Garamond Bold. I do not know if this has something to do with it or not, just thought I would mention it.
-Thanks,
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
Illustrator is the world’s best can-opener: it can often open files which choke every other program.

I suspect the spot colors were probably the cause of the trouble—if the font had been bad, I don’t think even Illustrator would have coped.
TA
Ted_Abel
Aug 27, 2004
There is still an issue with the "Export" to PDF Layout in QXP 6.1 that was supposedly fixed with a "patch" posted Feb. 28, 2004, but this only temporarily fixed the problem I was having with crashing QXP. It has cropped up again, but now with the added "beachball of death" so that I have to do a "command+option+esc" and restart the APP. I have a feeling Quark is working on a solution that involves fonts and Jaws.

This still does not answer the "Not Having Enough Memory (RAM)" message that comes up when trying to open or place this QXP EPS file. There is more than enough memory available, so why the message?

Thanks for your help!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
I suspect that the the "Not Having Enough Memory (RAM)" message is because Photoshop is trying to decipher spot color information through a Made-in-Quark EPS rather than a DCS2 format and, rather than in-sufficient memory, it is suffering from insufficient brain-power.

As for the QXP "Export to PDF" function, this has been problematical for as long as I can remember. You usually end up having to save as a PS file and Distill.

Frankly, to my mind, QXP is now without merit and I would tell your client that you work exclusively in InDesign and that you will furnish him with PDFs from now on.

Also, that he will need to retro-save any QXP files which he sends to you as v.4.11 files.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections