MB
Posted By
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I check this forum every day so see what new tips I can pick up. Just now, I clicked on a thread "Wacom tablet tips for Elements" – it has 22 responses. I have a Wacom tablet and eagerly read the whole thread hoping to learn something new.

Sadly, the initial post was the only one that offered any tips (I don’t count the ones about how to coerce Santa into putting a Wacom tablet under the tree)

I like to chat as much as anyone, but this forum has gotten ridiculous. Most threads grow long and unwieldy with very little substance – and the same few posters.

Chat if you want to, but please don’t waste my time with it. Set up a couple of topics where you can kid each other and have your "in" jokes and I won’t bother to read them.

Of course you are under no obligation to enlighten me, but Adobe hosts this forum so that users of their software can learn and share ideas. Let’s do that.

margaret

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret

Welcome to the forum as this is the first time I have seen you post. Do you have any questions about Wacom tablets. To start out here is a tip that I have found very useful tape a piece of paper to you tablet, a good sketching paper will do, and the table will behave much closer to paper than the slippery sliding surface it has.

g.
S
Spider
Jan 26, 2004
RIGHT ON!

wrote in message
I check this forum every day so see what new tips I can pick up. Just now,
I clicked on a thread "Wacom tablet tips for Elements" – it has 22 responses. I have a Wacom tablet and eagerly read the whole thread hoping to learn something new.
Sadly, the initial post was the only one that offered any tips (I don’t
count the ones about how to coerce Santa into putting a Wacom tablet under the tree)
I like to chat as much as anyone, but this forum has gotten ridiculous.
Most threads grow long and unwieldy with very little substance – and the same few posters.
Chat if you want to, but please don’t waste my time with it. Set up a
couple of topics where you can kid each other and have your "in" jokes and I won’t bother to read them.
Of course you are under no obligation to enlighten me, but Adobe hosts
this forum so that users of their software can learn and share ideas. Let’s do that.
margaret
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
I never thought of taping paper to the tablet. I’ve had one for about 5 years – I’m on the second one now.

I discovered by accident the you can put a magazine over the tablet and the signal still gets through – comes in handy if you want to trace around something in a book or magazine.

Thanks for the welcome, I’ll try to post more,

Margaret
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret

A warning about the paper trick. Some people have found that the nibs to their stylus wear out faster with paper. I like you have the same pad for about 5 years and haven’t warn out a tip yet. I suspect that I have a rather light touch with a pen.

g.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 26, 2004
Grant and Margaret,

May be you should experiment a bit with several qualities of paper. May be paper used by architects prior to computers may give you less wear on the tip of the pen.

Robert
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
Good point Robert. Is the paper still available, if so where??

Thanks, Margaret
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 26, 2004
wrote…
Grant and Margaret,

May be you should experiment a bit with several qualities of paper. May be
paper used by architects prior to computers may give you less wear on the tip of the pen.
Robert

Do you mean sheep skin?

Ed
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
While others have mentioned the wear and tear on my stylus tips I have no trouble with mine so this is not a big issue with me. What I have found that different papers create different drags. I just experimented until I found one to my liking. I did this originally because the surface of my table was much to shinny and my stylus seemed to have a mind of its own. I suspect the choice of paper will be a very personal thing. I happen to be use to sketching paper so I tried that and it was good but a bit with a bit to much resistance so i went to a smoother drawing paper. Best thing is to experiment.

Also Margaret pointed out you can put pictures between the tablet and stylus and trace over you image and that gives you a new tool.

Grant
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 26, 2004
Margarine,

Just a comment about your original observation. It seems that there is a group of individuals who have established quite a relationship (either personal or otherwise through this user group), and they use this forum as a vehicle to exchange personal messages and ideas. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about this. It seems that occasionally if the "group" is not interested in a particular topic they will do a run of personal exchanges within that topic. And you just have to learn when to start ignoring certain topics if what you are looking for is real information. But please don’t misunderstand me, this group has a lot of wonderful information that they are willing to share. I don’t know how you get into the group, and I really don’t care because I don’t want to be there. But I have gleaned a lot of very useful information through my exchanges on this forum.

Jim
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Oh but Jim, you are part of our group whether you want to be or not 🙂 😉
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah,

I see Jim’s name enough I thought he was "part of our group" also.

pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
I didn’t know there was a group….how do I join??
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
I nominate Jim for president of the group.

g
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 26, 2004
You know me, I have this inner desire to stir up controversy. I was just curious to see how badly I would get slammed for this one 🙂 :).
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck, are you really going to do this to me …the urge to thread drift is overpowering me…help help…LMAO !
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck,

I thought YOU were the one that decided who was in and who was out?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
JIm, slammed ? you know better
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
2nd that nomination
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
third it !…ya need an assistant though…I nominate …hmmmm, Chuck !
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret,

See what I mean? Here we go again 🙂 :).
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
I’ve tried to resist responding to Margaret’s original posting, but I’m going to do so and hope it’s a constructive response.

Margaret, I agree that some of our threads (okay…maybe it more than just ‘some’) tend to become vehicles for conversation; however, I think it’s reflective of the spirit of the participants and the fact that we genuinely enjoy associating with one another. I’d like to believe that we never completely lose sight of the reason the forum is here: to provide information on Photoshop Elements to any and all who stop by. Generally, that’s done – quickly, accurately (except in my case today…), creatively, and with a very positive attitude to questions of all kind. In between the arrival of questions, we act much like any workgroup that’s waiting for their next assignment: we socialize a bit. I believe that if this forum were strictly a repository of technical questions and answers without the personal interaction, the quality and quantity of the useful responses would decline and some of us would drift away. In terms of time management, I use a couple techniques to screen messages: a) if I’m using the Newsreader entree, and if the topic is of little interest to me (e.g., most things about the ‘other computer’…), I mark the topic as read and go on; b) if I’m using the web-based reader, I’ll skip the topics of little interest, then do a Show All Messages on the topics of interest. I can generally weed out the ones I don’t really need with a quick scan.

Just one opinion….

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
On my tablet there is the option to change from relative to absolute and do it quickly this is a very good tool if you have it.

g.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Incorrigible….this group is incorrigible….
🙂
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
I know how to weed out the posts I’m not interested in. Is it possible that newcomers to this forum are discouraged by what appears to be an online "relationship" among a few individuals.

This thread is a perfect example.

Amen

Margaret (not margerine – I’ll assume that was a joke)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret, the topic of this thread and the responses thereto are more consistent than many of our threads….but your point is well-taken and we need to continue to try to gauge whether we’re creating an inclusive and welcoming environment. However, I don’t believe a sterile, humorless approach will lead to success; I would expect quite the opposite.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Oh yes Chuck….you are right there…want to get a room ? 😉
B
bethC
Jan 26, 2004
I’ve enjoyed reading the Adobe Forum as I have loads of Adobe software. I’ve enjoyed the Challenge (although I’ve not been able to do the last few). I’ve learned many techniques and or easier ways to do them. The people on this forum are friendly, helpful and make any newcomer feel at home. Just today through the reading of several threads (and enjoyed a few laughs along the way) I have found some excellent, useful information.

P.S. Jodi – stilling laughing (LOL) at your comments on this thread 🙂

Want to use your graphics pen and learn some photoshop tips at the same time? Try this link: <http://www.wacom.com/tips/index.cfm?category=photoshop>

beth
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret,

Chuck has pretty much expressed my thoughts on your concerns. I’m sorry this is a problem for you.

One thing to look at is how many visitors do get help with their problems and questions and how much time the regulars on this forum put into helping others. Many of the regulars here put a lot time into their responses and are a creative inspiration to others. Grant, for one, puts in several hours a week hosting the Challenges that welcome everyone and have tremendously inspired creativity and enhanced our skills using Photoshop Elements. It is all volunteer and I suppose one of the unofficial compensations is the socializing that goes on between the regulars. However it is a totally inclusive environment. The only price of admission is basic civility and courtesy toward others.

I hope that perhaps you will try to see this in a different light and appreciate what many of us do offer.

And if you have a good joke to share, don’t keep it to yourself. 🙂

hmmm…I thought Jim Hess was a regular too.

Oh yes Chuck….you are right there…want to get a room ?

Oh Jodi, lmao….hey…I’m jealous!
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret may be right though.

The once in a while cosyness in this forum may discourage new comers to aks questions as they may feel they are intruding.
Where as this same cosyness may encourage others to join as it shows this forum is knowledgeable but not overachieving as I understand is the case in some other forums.

However all questions raised start off with a serious answer and some threads (not all) digress after that in chit chat. What I have never come across is that some one is made fun of at all. There is a certain courtesy here which I find quite attractive.

Robert
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 26, 2004
Well,

At the very least, we really should make sure that a question is adequately answered before we drift off the subject. I’ve seen that happen on occasion but not very often.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Jan 26, 2004
MARGARET,
Coming from one who was really and truely green to forums, chat rooms etc. I felt the clickish type thing for a while but very soon found that these same people were often the ones most often helping others. Then too, it was obvious that I got even more attention than I expected if push came to shove.
Just be awfully careful that you don’t catch our disease and become an addict to PSE (ha ha). Marty
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
Good suggestion Mark – that would take care of my concerns.

I wouldn’t have dared start this thread if I didn’t think you folks had a sense of humor. A sense of community is very important in any forum; my concern was that the discussions sometimes (often?) drift into more personal exchanges before the question is answered.

It’s unfortunate that this forum format doesn’t allow for sub-classing of threads. Many forums I belong to have areas for serious questions and another area for casual conversation. The casual conversation is often more active than the serious questions, but the same folks respond to both and the two are segregated so that you know where to look when you just want company or have a problem to solve.

And it’s been my experience that sometimes problems go away once I’ve had a bit of company.

I appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from this forum, and I want to see it continue.

Take care, Margaret
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 26, 2004
Grant, I tried to draw a picture on my tablet using a picture like you suggested in a post to Margaret but everything ended up well mostly off the new document. What did I miss? I used a really small picture to trace from and adjusted up to fill screen still no luck. I know it must be something simple that I am overlooking.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
Not sure Terri … just a suggestion do you have you table set for absolute reference?

g.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 26, 2004
I guess I’m going to have to pull out my wacam data to find out how to set absolute reference. I admit I just plugged her up and started using it. Thanks for the response.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
When it is set to absolute the location on the tablet same spot regardless of where you are coming from. The bottom left on the tablet is the bottom left on the screen and the top right on the tablet is the top right on the screen and so on …. Makes it easy to get the same spot but usually requires lots of hand motion to cover the full coverage.

g.
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
Hi Terri, I think it was originally my suggestion. Sorry I didn’t explain enough.

On my system, I can choose what area of the computer screen is controlled by the active area on the tablet. I have mine set to control the whole screen – I think that’s probably the default.

So…. if you open a new document in PSE, and make it, say 500 pixels x 500 pixels, it will be sitting to the left of the computer screen, so that’s where you have to place the picture on the tablet. It takes a bit of practice, but try moving the picture around on the tablet and try drawing in different positions and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it.

It is possible to set the area of the screen that the tablet controls, but if you do that, you need a separate mouse to operate things outside the selected area – like menus etc.

Hope this helps, Margaret
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 26, 2004
Grant,

I’ve seen wacom tablets in the shops over here but the drawing pad seems so small. You can barely put your hand on it.
Do you know in what sizes these can be had?

Robert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Robert, they come in several sizes, but the price goes up quickly when you get past the small ones. Here’s a link to some of the higher-end models for you:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/nl/products/intuos2/index.asp

Chuck
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
Robert, I’ve used a 4 x 6 for years and find it’s big enough. When you map the tablet surface to the whole screen it provides plenty of room. A movement of 1/4 inch on the tablet surface translates to a 1 inch move on my computer screen (not sure if that’s an accurate proportion but you get the idea)

Margaret
MB
margaret_brock
Jan 26, 2004
since the title of this thread is now misleading since we are exchanging actual information (maybe that’s how to control the list hehehehe) maybe we could change the title to something more discriptive??

Anybody know how to do that??

Margaret
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret, I think it requires starting a new thread…

Chuck (sitting here with a still-unopened Graphire 2 trying to get up the courage to plug it in)
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 26, 2004
maybe we could change the title to something more discriptive?? Anybody know how to do that??

A subheading feature would be nice but…we don’t have it.

Just start a new thread…Wacom tablets continued…
We’ll figure it out.
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret,

I think I am going to like you being around here:-)

Pete
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks Chuck for your replies to the original topic.
I disagree, though, with scaring away new comers with the personal relationships many share here. Most all forums are not so friendly, and the regular contributors seem more content in out-doing each other with their replies, instead of help. I very rarely see the knowledgeable folks on THIS forum trying to out do the others, and it is immediately apparent the spirit in this forum is TRULY to help, not to find something to flame someone on. (And boy, there has been MANY opportunities in this forum forum for that).
There are few friendly, fast, and helpful forums out there, this may be the best at all.

Wishing I could write better stuff,
Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>

I will go back to playing with the CD from: One-click WOW Photoshop elements 2.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
ah Ralph, so they finally came out with wow version for PE2…how long has that been out ?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Jodi, publication date was June 27, 2003 – but I’m sure it hasn’t really been out that long…
🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
I remember reading about it last winter saying it woulsd be out in April…ya right. So anyways, that’s good. As you know I don’t need it since i have PE1 version and i can make my own styles etc…in PS…but it’s good to know we can direct people towards now.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 26, 2004
As the "Adobe Guy" on this forum, I’ll just say a bit about this group. They are not cliqueish, everyone is welcome. They always answer questions respectfully and I’ve never seen much flaming or snarkiness on this forum. As compared to many other forums, that is in itself quite an achievment. There are times when I don’t have time to read through all of the socializing either, but I figure if the option is a less friendly and helpful place for new users to visit, than I’d rather have the socializing. And contrary to popular belief, I know that our moderator will occasionally intervene when things get out of hand.

Margaret, I hope you will continue to participate, and if you don’t feel you are getting an adequate answer to a question, just post something to that affect, and someone will certainly get back on track and give you an answer. I will certainly try.

Best,
Rich
T
Tel
Jan 26, 2004
Margaret,

Some of us like reading the chat at times, even if we are half way round the world and can’t participate due to time differences.
You could subscribe to the digest form then you get the subject or initial message followed by message 1, message 2 etc and you can skip as much as you like.

Tel.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
Robert

I have an 8" x 6" tablet it is bigger than this but that is the drawing surface. When I got it I though "Oh, I wish I had more money so I could get a bigger one!" Now that I have it there are times I think it is way to big.

Here is a good site for helping you pick the appropriate size tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/tabletwizard/index.cfm

g.
N
nytrashman7618
Jan 26, 2004
my 2 cents on this subject: this is by far the most helpful & friendly forum i have ever had the pleasure of visiting. the people here go WAY out of there way to help you with whatever problems you have or advise you need. if you don’t believe me try looking in on another forum, say dpreview. those forums are full of good advice BUT it comes at a price. the price, snide remarks, trolls out to slam anyone and anything that differs from there opinion, and at times just plain rude people. yes, i will continue to visit dpreviews forums but this has to be the best forum on the web. so what if some of the regulars go off topic a bit, the truly talented folks (you know who you are) here must get tired of answering dumb questions from people like me all the time but,they never fail to give the advice or help i am looking for. they do it without an attitude or making you feel like a fool for asking such a stupid question. my hat is off to all the regulars here, you are truly a wonderful & talented group of people.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 26, 2004
wrote:
Grant,

I’ve seen wacom tablets in the shops over here but the drawing pad seems so small. You can barely put your hand on it. Do you know in what sizes these can be had?

Robert

Robert,

I have used a 6×8 tablet on my Mac for five or more years. I was worried about the smaller tablet too, but have found that it suits my PC just fine.

Ed
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 26, 2004
I get on quite well using the mouse and haven’t really thought about using a tablet. So my question is …. are they any good and is it worth me getting one?

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Wendy

Well they won’t replace a mouse. I still use my mouse for all my navigation but heavily rely on the tablet for graphics. I would not want to go without my tablet but I could if I had to although I would have sore hands again. On the other hand I could not do without my mouse. The short answer is that if you are going do lots of graphics the tablet is a real joy to use. If you are only going to do little amounts of graphics then it is a luxury.

g.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 27, 2004
Wendy, I think it depends on the person. I saw a post from someone who said they used the tablet for virtually everything. Several months ago, my son gave me a tablet he wasn’t using. I just can’t get the hang of it! I find it very clumsy and awkward, but then I’m also the person who still chooses to use a single button mouse. 🙂 With the problem I happen to have with my hands, the tablet is actually harder to use because the stylus is virtually the same size as a pen or pencil, and I get cramping that I don’t get when using a mouse – which, of course, has drawbacks of its own. I figured I’d love the tablet, but what I learned is that they don’t seem to be for everyone, and apparently the only way a person can find out is by trying one. Do you know anybody who has one you could borrow?
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 27, 2004
Grant and Margaret, You were right. I didn"t have scale configured. I spent a while getting my pen tablet control panel opened. I kept getting an error message about not having a driver. I don’t know what was up with that but I uninstalled my tablet and reinstalled the tablet. Control panel now working and adjustable. Seems like I needed to follow this thread more than I initially thought. I think I have everything good to go now.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 27, 2004
Hi Grant & Beth,

Thanks for all the feedback … I keep reading about tablets but really hadn’t much idea about them or if I would use one.

Beth … I too have stuck with the single button mouse and on the odd occasions when I use a windows laptop I can’t figure out what on earth I need another button for :). If the stylus is pen sized then I probably would have difficulty with it but I am going to ask around and see if I can try one out. I think that the local college may have one so I will drop in there tomorrow.

Thanks for the help
Weny
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Jan 27, 2004
Margaret:

I don’t use a tablet, so I won’t take up space except to say:

A) You’ll soon notice that the people who exchange the most personal responses are the same people who add the most useful information. The banter just enhances the experience of learning some otherwise dry information.

B) You’ll also soon notice practically no flaming criticism on this forum. I would trade the personal exchanges for that any day.

C) I hope you find this forum as helpful as I do.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge on tablets.

To Beth I would say if the pen is too small for your hands, may be you could wrap material around it to make the pen broader so it would fit better in your hands.

I understand that you don’t really need the big tablets as there is an "enlarging" (or accelerator like in your mouse) factor build in. One inch on the tablet equals 4 inches on the monitor screen.

Grant mentioned graphics. Does that mean I can use it only as a drawing tool? I was hoping I could use it more as a tool to use when enhancing images etc.

Robert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Robert

No almost everything that is done in Elements, Photoshop and the like programs are grouped into graphics in my mind. If you rely heavily on keyboard or menu commands then you may find a mouse and keyboard much faster that a stylus. But dodging, burning, smudging, painting mask, and all that are to me much easier with a stylus.

Unfortunately wrapping a stylus to make it fatter may not help because is a multi button on mine(and I suspect most) that can be programmed. But Wacom makes all sorts of styles of pens for different comfort levels, including one the size of an air brush.

g.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 27, 2004
Robert,

No it’s not just a drawing tool. The pen/tablet just controls the pointer like a mouse does–but its benefits include a more direct relationship between your pen movement and what happens on screen (the tablet is more direct; a mouse is more relational and skewed by acceleration, relative movements, etc.).

You can use the pen for everything that you use a mouse for–drawing, painting, retouching, and all the "regular" stuff like menu navigation, button pushing, dragging, right-clicking, double-clicking, etc.

Oh, and it has an eraser, too! And it’s pressure sensitive! And it comes with a free set of Ginsu steak knives! OK, forget that last part.

I’ve even starting using the pen for doing simple calligraphy. It has a level of control that I just don’t get with a mouse. It’s truly amazing.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 27, 2004
Oh, Grant beat me to it. Yeah, what he said.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
Grant and Lou,

Thank you for your enthousiasm regarding the tablet. I will start some research into this item and see if I can play with it some where just to feel what it is capable of.
I checked the website. If you buy one in Europe you don’t get a set of kitchen knives, you get a set of non stick pans with it instead.
🙂

Robert
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
Saw a wacom tablet in the store. I think it was a wacom 3 and it seemed like a small one to me.

the back was tilted slightly upwards. I would have expected it to be as flat as possible. Does the tiltedness (apologise for the word) cause and discomfort?

Robert
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Robert,

The Graphire2 lies flat. I have no experience with the 3, so can’t advise with regard to the comfort of the tilt, although I would expect that Wacom would not frivolously make such a change.

I know that, with the thickening of the top edge to give a tilt, they were able to create a storage slot for the stylus in that edge. With the 2, there is a little stand which holds the stylus vertically. It will snap to the top edge of the pad, or stand separately.

IMO, I would not expect the slight tilt to be troublesome, and think that the new stylus storage method is superior.

Byron
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
Thank you Byron.

Robert
LM
Lou_M
Jan 28, 2004
Yeah, I’ve got a Graphire 3. Hadn’t noticed the tilt ’til you mentioned it, Robert. It’s probably slightly more ergonomic that way, but it is slight.

The built-in pen slot on the 3 is handy since I have a notebook computer. If you never move your tablet around, it probably doesn’t make much of a difference.

I used the pen & tablet to do a little impromptu calligraphy for my 3rd entry for the 51st Challenge. Grant’s suggestion for taping some paper to the tablet sounds like a good idea, because calligraphy doesn’t really feel like calligraphy when you’re doing it on a smooth plastic surface. It’s sorta like the old fingernails-on-the-blackboard, but doing it on glass, instead–there’s no grip.
J
JJ
Jan 28, 2004
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:54:42 -0800, Byron Gale wrote:

Robert,

The Graphire2 lies flat. I have no experience with the 3, so can’t advise with regard to the comfort of the tilt, although I would expect that Wacom would not frivolously make such a change.

I know that, with the thickening of the top edge to give a tilt, they were able to create a storage slot for the stylus in that edge. With the 2, there is a little stand which holds the stylus vertically. It will snap to the top edge of the pad, or stand separately.

IMO, I would not expect the slight tilt to be troublesome, and think that the new stylus storage method is superior.

Byron
I have a Graphire 3 and the very slight tilt is negligible – the ability to store the stylus is a big improvement. With the Graphire 2 I was always knocking my stylus on the floor – so I’m clumsy, but I am surely not the only one who has done that!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections