BC
Posted By
Bruce Coryell
Mar 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am getting to a point where I will need to move all my XP installation, including CS2, to another hard drive. What is the best way to move CS2 over? – would I use the transfer activation feature to do this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 30, 2006
"Bruce Coryell" wrote in message
I am getting to a point where I will need to move all my XP installation, including CS2, to another hard drive. What is the best way to move CS2 over? – would I use the transfer activation feature to do this?

Bruce,

Yes

MH
B
Bigguy
Mar 30, 2006
Acronis True Image – add new drive, image across to new drive, reboot, done… 🙂

Guy

MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 30, 2006
"Bigguy" wrote in message
Guy,

Have you tried this with Photoshop? Unless the drive you are imageing to is identical to the one that PS was originally installed on (it knows, believe me) then you could end up having to do a reinstall, following a failed activation the first trime you try and run the app. (been there, done that) ..

BC
Bruce Coryell
Mar 30, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:

Guy,

Have you tried this with Photoshop? Unless the drive you are imageing to is identical to the one that PS was originally installed on (it knows, believe me) then you could end up having to do a reinstall, following a failed activation the first trime you try and run the app. (been there, done that) .

That’s the thing – the new drive (SATA) will not be identical to the old one (IDE). So I would transfer activation, make the change, reinstall CS2, then reactivate, right?
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 30, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:

Guy,

Have you tried this with Photoshop? Unless the drive you are imageing to is identical to the one that PS was originally installed on (it knows, believe me) then you could end up having to do a reinstall, following a failed activation the first trime you try and run the app. (been there, done that) .

That’s the thing – the new drive (SATA) will not be identical to the old one (IDE). So I would transfer activation, make the change, reinstall CS2, then reactivate, right?

I would, but asking around brought differing views. A colleague said that he didn’t transfer his (but he was installing on a different PC, not the same with a bigger H/D) because the activation counter resets periodically to allow for circumstances
such as yours. If you are denied activation, just call Adobe and explain the situation. But transfering the activation could save you the cost of a ‘phone call. 😉

The choice is yours;)

Regards

Mike H
S
Shane
Mar 31, 2006
Agreed

I recently did a three-way shuffle of disks after adding a new SATA drive and removing the smallest existing IDE drive. True Image performed faultlessly.

Shane
Canberra

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections