N
Posted By
no
Mar 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m about to buy a new monitor and have been looking at LCD’s. Can anyone give me some input based on your experience? TIA

Ed Leavitt
(NOSPAM).us

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
bmoag
Mar 17, 2006
It can work but it depends how finicky you are about matching print and monitor.
Presuming you use color management make sure the LCD has adequate adjustments to try to optimize calibration.
Most LCDs just don’t have the smoothness of light/dark and color tones that even an average CRT can display. This can result, at least initially, in prints that tend to be off tone or off color than what you might be used to getting from your calibrated CRT.
Another problem is that the light fall off from many LCDs is such that viewing angle can substantially affect what you see. Images created in Photoshop if you are looking at the LCD from slightly different angles will look like they require different adjustments. For me this makes laptop computers utterly useless for Photoshop because depending on the angle of the open lid you may never see the image the same way twice every time you use the laptop.
Newer more moderate priced LCDs are improved but you have to decide for yourself if this is a problem.
Everything is adjustable however if one persists. Or not, if it is a really bad LCD. They just don’t work for me but I guess I will be forced to get one when the last of my CRTs goes to picture tube heaven.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 18, 2006
"no" <""ed\"@(no)eal4.us"> wrote in message
I’m about to buy a new monitor and have been looking at LCD’s. Can anyone give me some input based on your experience? TIA
Ed,
Calibrating a laptop LCD for PS, is often rather difficult given the limited control you have over it. Adobe Gamma does not support LCDs, so you’ll need to get either a colorimeter and profiling software package (Gretag, Monaco, ColorVision, Pantone being common names) or you can try a software solution such as Praxisoft WiziWYG, freely downloadable (application only) at <http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/support.downloads.html#wizi>.

HTH
MH
JH
Juergen Heinzl
Mar 18, 2006
no schrieb:
[-]
Well how urgent is it?

Basically it’s such that some new monitor models with 10 – 12 LUTs are about to be marketed that don’t cost you an arm and a leg.

In short though yes, it works and esp. EIZO monitors are rather good, but if you want something professional you’re in with about $4000+ here (I’m living in Europe and you need to take things like VAT into account).

Secondly you’d hardware calibrate your monitor as software solutions are guesswork at best and catastrophe at worst.

Thirdly you’d get you a daylight lamp and prefer to work with shutters closed.

Last if you intend to print yourself you’d think about hardware calibration of your printer and papers, too. Solutions for that are rather expensive, though.

The prize of high quality LCDs may even go down "soon" as the first LED monitors are not really far away anymore and that is where it may be worth waiting another 6 months or so.

Personally I use a calibrated on a regular basis LCD by the way and my scanner gets calibrated before each session, too and with available ICC profiles for the papers I prefer (I don’t print myself) and a bit of learning what to think of get the results I want.

Quite happy with his LCD,
Juergen
E
Ed
Mar 20, 2006
no wrote:

Ed Leavitt
(NOSPAM).us
Thanks to all for the input.

Ed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections