RS
Posted By
Richard_Sjolund
Aug 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
G4 (dual 1.42) versus G5 (dual 2.5) results with large image files using Photoshop CS.

I replaced my dual 1.42 G4 with a new dual 2.5 GHz G5. I did it because I was frustrated (to say the least) with the response speed of the G4 when editing images from my Kodak 16 megapixel back and my Hasselblad 555ELD.

I make 30X30 prints at 360 dpi and print them onto an Epson 9600 printer.

The images are 16-bit depth, and I edit in 16 bits to take advantage of 65,000 shades of gray versus 256 in 8 bit. At the final step I convert the images to 8 bit for printing.

But, in 16-bit mode my TIFF files (20X30 inches at 360 dpi) are 667MB each.

Simple editing, especially with the healing brush, was painfully slow.

The new G5 has 3.5 GB of RAM, the old G4 had 2 GB of RAM.

I have a 160GB hard drive (drive 1) in the stock G5, and a second 74GB Raptor drive that I use as the scratch drive for PS. I have over 1 TB of external storage, using LaCie firewire 800 (320GB each) drives. It is not a RAID setup, just straight firewire 800.

Here are some timed results for similar editing steps on a 667MB image: (Note, these are the results of several trials with several image. They are subject to many caveats, but represent real results in my studio)

Editing step G4 (dual 1.42 GHz) G5(dual 2.5GHz)

Open file G4: 32s, G5: 20s
Rotate 90 degrees CW G4: 67s, G5: 7s
Gaussian blur (radius 1 pix) G4: 30s, G5: 13s
Layer-levels (build histogram) G4: 17s , G5: 7s
Healing brush at 100%- (brush size=19, darken) G4: 15s, G5: 4s Rename and save as TIFF G4: 29s. G5: 21s

These are great results. I can’t tell you how many times I have been driven close to the edge while waiting 15 seconds or more for each application of the healing brush to take effect. The 4-second response on these huge images (at 100% image size) is still slower than I would like, but I can live with it.

My only disappointment is that the time to save files is not much improved. In fact, burning a 466 MB file onto a CD takes longer on the G5 than it did on the G4 (7m 19 s to save and burn on the G4 and 9m 30s to save and burn on the G5). There may be a problem with my CD/DVD drive. I may be glad that I purchased Apple Care.

One note: although my G5 has 3.5GB of RAM, Photoshop preferences only finds 1.7GB to use. I can’t wait for Apple and Adobe to get their act together and give us real 64 bit processing that will take advantage of all the power of the dual G5 CPUs and more than 2GB of RAM.

Both computers were “cleaned up” prior to the tests, using the terminal: sudu sh /etc/daily (or weekly or monthly) commands followed by repair of privileges.

Dick Sjolund
Wilderness Studio

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 22, 2004
Nice info.

I would experiment with your PS RAM allocation (try 50%, 55%, 60%, 65%) just to see what happens empirically.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 23, 2004
I have 2.5 gig of ram in my duelly 2 ghz and I’ve got my ram allocation set at 100% with no problems.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Aug 23, 2004
I have 3.5 GB of RAM in my dual 2.5 GHz G5. I, too, can set the ram allocation to 100%, but PS only shows 1,800 MB available when I do.

What does yours show?

Dick
AD
amadou_diallo
Aug 23, 2004
Richard,
Congrats on the new setup and thanks for sharing the info. I’ll be making a similar upgrade in a few months. The diminished improvement in your open/saves is likely related to the HD on which your image file is stored. The rotates, layers, healing brush on a 667MB file are putting your Raptor to use and it’s faster than the stock (probably Seagate) HD and certainly faster than a FW800 which has exhibited bottleneck issues on the G5s. To verfiy, copy your image onto the Raptor and see if it opens and saves faster. Many power users find benefit in putting the image files on a disk just as fast as their dedicated scratch disk. And then there’s a RAID 0 setup for scratch, using 2 or even 4 of the Raptors (if you’re itching to spend even more $).
R
Ram
Aug 23, 2004
Richard,

Though the theoretical maximum RAM Photoshop can use is 2GB, because of some overhead that has been repeatedly discussed here in the past (you may want to do a forum search), about 1.8GB is what you’ll see in practice, as you have discovered.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 24, 2004
It is a mistake to treat PS memory allocation as a simple formula that optimizes like a simple formula. OS X & PS memory optimizing is not simple. Aware users will test each individual setup, because each is different. What other folks do is basically irrelevant.
RB
Richard_BRackin
Aug 27, 2004
I figured I’d offer up the numbers on my new dual 2.5Gz G5 as well. The results of several iterations of the test yield similar results.

G5 Dual 2.5GHZ
4.5 GB of RAM.
160GB SATA stock hard drive – virtually nothing on it but System and Apps (140GB available). Photoshop CS with 70% memory allocation (1184 MB)

667MB 16-bit RGB image
Editing step G5(dual 2.5GHz)

Open file G5: 7s
Rotate 90 degrees G5: 10s
Gaussian blur (radius 1 pix) G5: 16s
Layer-levels (build histogram) G5: 9s
Healing brush at 100%- (brush size=19, darken) G5: 4s
Rename and save as TIFF G5: 19s

I’ll run the test again once I get all the parts (Y-power cable) to get my Ultra 320 SCSI 15,000RPM drive and see if ‘open’ and ‘save’ speed up at all.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 27, 2004
I have 3.5 GB of RAM in my dual 2.5 GHz G5. I, too, can set the ram allocation to 100%, but PS only shows 1,800 MB available when I do.

Mine’s the same Dick.
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
set the ram allocation to 100%, but PS only shows 1,800 MB available when I do.

Mine’s the same Dick.

From Post #5:

Though the theoretical maximum RAM Photoshop can use is 2GB, because of some overhead that has been repeatedly discussed here in the past (you may want to do a forum search), about 1.8GB is what you’ll see in practice, as you have discovered.
JV
John_Vitollo
Aug 27, 2004
Richard Sjolund >burning a 466 MB file onto a CD takes longer on the G5 than it did on the G4 (7m 19 s to save and burn on the G4 and 9m 30s to save and burn on the G5). There may be a problem with my CD/DVD drive. I may be glad that I purchased Apple Care.

The internal burners I always find slow. I have an external FireWire 52X CD burner that will burn a full CD in under two minutes.

Below I have the same Lite-on burner in a different case – for $99.00 you can’t beat it:

< http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=7059&Item= OWCMRAU2F5237S>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections