N
Posted By
no
Mar 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I currently have Elements 2.0, and have used it for a few years and have generally been very happy with it. I do feel, however, that it’s time to move up. I have found that I love the curves ability that my Nikon scanning software has, so I’m leaning toward CS2. The only thing holding me back from CS2 is the price… yeah, yeah, I know, the most common complaint, I’m sure.

Can some give me an idea of the differences, in their own words preferably, between Elements 4.0 and CS2? Is the jump from Elements really that drastic?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 15, 2006
TheDave
N
nomail
Mar 15, 2006
Bill Hilton wrote:

I’m a Photoshop user but occasionally open Elements to teach newbie friends how to start with editing and I think Elements is good enough for most people working on their own images and printing at home on an inkjet or sending files to Wal-Mart or wherever.

What I miss when I use Elements are Actions, layer masks, LAB mode, ability to convert to various profiles, probably another dozen or so things you won’t miss if you never use them but that Photoshop users take for granted and miss when they are absent.

Photoshop Elements does have layer masks, using a trick. Normal layers cannot have a mask in PE, but adjustment layers do have one. So all you have to do is link a normal layer to an adjustment layer.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
N
no
Mar 16, 2006
Bill Hilton wrote:
Can some give me an idea of the differences, in their own words preferably, between Elements 4.0 and CS2?

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare .htm
I’m a Photoshop user but occasionally open Elements to teach newbie friends how to start with editing and I think Elements is good enough for most people working on their own images and printing at home on an inkjet or sending files to Wal-Mart or wherever.

What I miss when I use Elements are Actions, layer masks, LAB mode, ability to convert to various profiles, probably another dozen or so things you won’t miss if you never use them but that Photoshop users take for granted and miss when they are absent.

Typically if you have to ask "Elements or Photoshop?" you’re probably better off with Elements. When you really need Photoshop you’ll probably know it, especially given the price difference …
I have found that I love the curves ability that my
Nikon scanning software has, so I’m leaning toward CS2

There are free plug-ins that let you run curves in Elements, if that’s all you’re pining for …

I did not know there was a plug-in for that. I have read that CS2 does have that new stamp cloning tool (forget the name off hand) where you can automatically have it match the surrounding areas. Those are the two main things that I feel I would benefit from the most, that I know of.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 16, 2006
"TheDave" wrote in message
Bill Hilton wrote:
Can some give me an idea of the differences, in their own words preferably, between Elements 4.0 and CS2?

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare .htm

Typically if you have to ask "Elements or Photoshop?" you’re probably better off with Elements. When you really need Photoshop you’ll probably know it, especially given the price difference …
I have found that I love the curves ability that my
Nikon scanning software has, so I’m leaning toward CS2

There are free plug-ins that let you run curves in Elements, if that’s all you’re pining for …

I did not know there was a plug-in for that. I have read that CS2 does have that new stamp cloning tool (forget the name off hand) where you can automatically have it match the surrounding areas. Those are the two main things that I feel I would benefit from the most, that I know of.

I read once that a lot of the missing features in Elements are present but hidden. see http://simplephotoshop.com/photoshop_elements/undocumented.h tm and http://www.hiddenelements.com/pe3tools.html

MH
N
nomail
Mar 16, 2006
TheDave? wrote:

Do you mean the ‘spot healing brush’? Photoshop Elements has that too.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
BW
Bob Williams
Mar 19, 2006
TheDave© wrote:

I currently have Elements 2.0, and have used it for a few years and have generally been very happy with it. I do feel, however, that it’s time to move up. I have found that I love the curves ability that my Nikon scanning software has, so I’m leaning toward CS2. The only thing holding me back from CS2 is the price… yeah, yeah, I know, the most common complaint, I’m sure.

Can some give me an idea of the differences, in their own words preferably, between Elements 4.0 and CS2? Is the jump from Elements really that drastic?

You might try picking up a copy of PS 7.0, from someone who "upgraded" to CS or CS2. Get all the power of full Photoshop for the price of Elements 4.0
Bob Williams
N
nomail
Mar 19, 2006
Bob Williams wrote:

You might try picking up a copy of PS 7.0, from someone who "upgraded" to CS or CS2. Get all the power of full Photoshop for the price of Elements 4.0

That would be illegal. If someone upgraded his PS 7.0, then PS 7.0 remains a part of his licence for CS2, so he cannot sell it or give it away.

AB
Andrew Bealing
Mar 19, 2006
Just be aware that while you can download additional functions into Elements 3 such as curves, as has been mentioned, this loophole has been closed for V4

Andrew Bealing

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Bob Williams wrote:

That would be illegal. If someone upgraded his PS 7.0, then PS 7.0 remains a part of his licence for CS2, so he cannot sell it or give it away.

N
no
Mar 19, 2006
Andrew Bealing wrote:
Just be aware that while you can download additional functions into Elements 3 such as curves, as has been mentioned, this loophole has been closed for V4

I had read that while many of the loopholes had been closed by Adobe, many writers of these loopholes had re-written them to now include V4, also. This is timely because I decided on v4 over CS2 and purchased v4 just last night. I haven’t yet opened the box, so I can return it, if necessary. V4 already has one of the two features that I really want, but I guess I’ll have to check the compatability for curves plug-ins before I open the box.

It’s also interesting that I also purchased a tablet and it comes with v3. Don’t know if v3 is a full-use version, or a trial version, or what, though.
N
no
Mar 19, 2006
TheDave) wrote:
Andrew Bealing wrote:

I had read that while many of the loopholes had been closed by Adobe, many writers of these loopholes had re-written them to now include V4, also. This is timely because I decided on v4 over CS2 and purchased v4 just last night. I haven’t yet opened the box, so I can return it, if necessary. V4 already has one of the two features that I really want, but I guess I’ll have to check the compatability for curves plug-ins before I open the box.

It’s also interesting that I also purchased a tablet and it comes with v3. Don’t know if v3 is a full-use version, or a trial version, or what, though.

Updating my own post:

Curvemeister claims it supports v4.0…

"System Requirements: Windows 98 or later, Photoshop version 5.5 to CS2, Elements version 1.0 to 4.0

http://www.curvemeister.com/

….yet, this other site (in the update notes near the bottom), as of earlier this month, says they haven’t been able to get Earthbound Light Solution’s curves product to work with v4, but apparently Curvemeister does work…

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-elements- curves.html
BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 19, 2006
TheDave
N
no
Mar 19, 2006
Bill Hilton wrote:
I also purchased a tablet and it comes with v3. Don’t know if v3 is a full-use version, or a trial version, or what, though.

I have several copies of Elements 2 and 3 that were bundled with Nikon scanners, Canon dSLRs and a Wacom tablet and all were full-use versions …

My current v2 was bundled with my Canon 10D and is a full version, but I had also received something less with some other product around the same time. I think it was a book, or something. I forget now.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 19, 2006
"TheDave
T
Travis
May 21, 2006
I say that Elements is a 80/20 of CS2 (Photoshop 9). 80% of the features and 20% of the price.

Certain things aren’t included that you may need, but if you just using it to touch up photos and make funny images then Elements is right for you.

If you you want to major graphic design, logos and stuff then CS2 is best. Or if you want to completely modify photos for contests or make major touchups and remakes then that’s CS2 again.

I use Elements, but am going to get CS2 because it doesn’t have layer mask on ANY layer which I really need.

_-_-_-Travis..

"TheDave
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 21, 2006
"Travis" wrote in message
I say that Elements is a 80/20 of CS2 (Photoshop 9). 80% of the features and 20% of the price.

Certain things aren’t included that you may need, but if you just using it to touch up photos and make funny images then Elements is right for you.
If you you want to major graphic design, logos and stuff then CS2 is best. Or if you want to completely modify photos for contests or make major touchups and remakes then that’s CS2 again.

I use Elements, but am going to get CS2 because it doesn’t have layer mask on ANY layer which I really need.

_-_-_-Travis..
T,

See
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Actions/FreeStuff/LayerMaskPSE/ LayerMask.html http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Actions/ElementsActions.html

MH

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections