Is anyone aware of compatability problem with Sempron 3000+ ?

K
Posted By
km
Mar 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been asked to put together a PC system specifically to run Photoshop. Not sure whether this will be version 7 or the latest CS2.

Either way I would like to know whether there are any known problems between Photoshop and AMD Sempron 3000+ processors also I plan to use MSI K8MM3-V motherboard. I quote this just in case anyone knows whether that has compatability problems?

Have searched Google and not found anything but thought I would call on the expertise of this Newsgroup before buying the Hardware.

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
a
Mar 14, 2006
I don’t know, but the system requirements say Intel:
Windows
a.. Intel
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 14, 2006
"km" wrote in message
I have been asked to put together a PC system specifically to run Photoshop. Not sure whether this will be version 7 or the latest CS2.
Either way I would like to know whether there are any known problems between Photoshop and AMD Sempron 3000+ processors also I plan to use MSI K8MM3-V motherboard. I quote this just in case anyone knows whether that has compatability problems?

Have searched Google and not found anything but thought I would call on the expertise of this Newsgroup before buying the Hardware.
Thanks in anticipation.

KM

Have a look in the knowledge base http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html

MH
K
km
Mar 14, 2006
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:24:20 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

MH
Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t make things very clear. Am currently trying to establish what the Intel equivalent is to Sempron as the Adobe pages concentrate on Intel CPU’s.

KM
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 14, 2006
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

MH
Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t make things very clear. Am currently trying to establish what the Intel equivalent is to Sempron as the Adobe pages concentrate on Intel CPU’s.
KM,

Looking at the price of Intel and AMD cpu’s the Sempron seems to compare with the Celeron ;-(

MH
K
Kinmotsu
Mar 14, 2006
"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

MH
KM,

Looking at the price of Intel and AMD cpu’s the Sempron seems to compare with the Celeron ;-(

MH
….and let’s thank whatever your deity or arbitrary worship figure of choice is that pricing is not the only consideration when comparing processors. 🙂

Posted via NewsDemon.com – Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ——->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<—— Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 14, 2006
"Kinmotsu" wrote in message
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

Have a look in the knowledge base
http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html

MH
KM,

MH
…and let’s thank whatever your deity or arbitrary worship figure of choice
is that pricing is not the only consideration when comparing processors. 🙂

No, I am an atheist so the above does not apply as far as I am concerned. As far as PS is concerned though, performance is. The OPs question, as I understand it, seemed to be how the Sempron 3000 compares to an Intel offering. As this chip runs at 1.8 GHZ with a 128KB cache, this puts it into the Intel Celeron performance bracket. I have seen PSCS2 run on a PC with an equivalent Celeron (1 GIG RAM and large H/D) and it runs like a three legged dog.

MH
K
Kinmotsu
Mar 15, 2006
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message
I have been asked to put together a PC system specifically to run Photoshop. Not sure whether this will be version 7 or the latest
CS2.
Either way I would like to know whether there are any known
problems
between Photoshop and AMD Sempron 3000+ processors also I plan to
use
MSI K8MM3-V motherboard. I quote this just in case anyone knows whether that has compatability problems?

Have searched Google and not found anything but thought I would
call
on the expertise of this Newsgroup before buying the Hardware.
Thanks in anticipation.

KM

MH
KM,

Looking at the price of Intel and AMD cpu’s the Sempron seems to
compare
with the Celeron ;-(

MH
is that pricing is not the only consideration when comparing processors. 🙂

No, I am an atheist so the above does not apply as far as I am concerned. As far as PS is concerned though, performance is. The OPs question, as I understand it, seemed to be how the Sempron 3000 compares to an Intel offering. As this chip runs at 1.8 GHZ with a 128KB cache, this puts it
into
the Intel Celeron performance bracket. I have seen PSCS2 run on a PC
with
an equivalent Celeron (1 GIG RAM and large H/D) and it runs like a three legged dog.

MH
Religious sarcasm aside, clock speed isn’t really a determining factor when comparing Intel and AMD CPUs, since AMD and Intel have taken fundamentally different looks at what "speed" means over the past several years, which is why Intel has produced chips with higher clock speeds and marginally substandard performance when stacked head to head against AMD.

Posted via NewsDemon.com – Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ——->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<—— Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 15, 2006
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message
I have been asked to put together a PC system specifically to run Photoshop. Not sure whether this will be version 7 or the latest
CS2.
Either way I would like to know whether there are any known
problems
between Photoshop and AMD Sempron 3000+ processors also I plan to
use
MSI K8MM3-V motherboard. I quote this just in case anyone knows whether that has compatability problems?

Have searched Google and not found anything but thought I would
call
on the expertise of this Newsgroup before buying the Hardware.
Thanks in anticipation.

KM

MH
Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t make things very clear. Am currently
trying to establish what the Intel equivalent is to Sempron as the Adobe pages concentrate on Intel CPU’s.
KM,

Looking at the price of Intel and AMD cpu’s the Sempron seems to
compare
with the Celeron ;-(

MH
is that pricing is not the only consideration when comparing processors.
🙂

No, I am an atheist so the above does not apply as far as I am concerned.
As far as PS is concerned though, performance is. The OPs question, as I understand it, seemed to be how the Sempron 3000 compares to an Intel offering. As this chip runs at 1.8 GHZ with a 128KB cache, this puts it
into
the Intel Celeron performance bracket. I have seen PSCS2 run on a PC
with
an equivalent Celeron (1 GIG RAM and large H/D) and it runs like a three legged dog.

MH
Religious sarcasm aside, clock speed isn’t really a determining factor when
comparing Intel and AMD CPUs, since AMD and Intel have taken fundamentally different looks at what "speed" means over the past several years, which is
why Intel has produced chips with higher clock speeds and marginally substandard performance when stacked head to head against AMD.

I didn’t say that an AMD 3000 (1.8 GHz) was the same as an Intel Celeron
1.8GHz chip given the way that hyperthreading/pipelining, L1/L2 cache et al
is addressed by the two companies; it is very difficult to compare like for like but it was a fact that you got more for your money with AMD. Although a web check for companies offering PC’s from both chip manufacturers though show the AMD machines to be more expensive than "similar" Intels which could be due to the fact that the AMD’s tend to be 64bit CPUs
One of literally hundreds of links on Google,
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1445_1.html

I get bored with the " what is best" argument. At the end of the day, a PC is just a tool and it is the skill with which it used that matters. It is like a chef asking which is the best cooker, gas or electric? Or a builder asking if DeWalt’s drill better holes than a Makita? Who cares? It’s what you do with it and the end result that counts.

MH
K
km
Mar 17, 2006
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:29:20 +0000, km wrote:

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

An update in case anyone is interested.

The system was bought with a Sempron 3000+ and it turned out that the user already had Photoshop 7.

When installed we carried out a simple text entry and gave it a shadow and embossed style. As soon as the second amendment was made the system froze. This happened three times with a reset needed to recover the system (WinXP).

I feared it was a hardware problem (faulty memory or CPU unable to carry out an instruction) so ran Memtest and a piece of software to put the Sempron under pressure. The tests were only done for a couple of hours so were not thorough but nothing showed as a problem, on the strength of that I started to think it was the Motherboard.

This had all taken place in the evening. Next morning I gave it another run and the system got as far as Windows Desktop when it shut down and rebooted. This continued to happen until powered down. I assume that the WinXP files had been damaged because of the 3 resets needed the previous evening! I reinstalled the O/S and Photoshop.

I do not know how to test the Motherboard so looked at what else may be the cause and decided the graphics may be the root of the problem. The motherboard has "on board" graphics with 64mb memory so, on the face of it, should cope.

Nevertheless I put in an AGP card with 128mb memory and everything worked satisfactorily. My hope is that this is the real solution and not just a temporary thing.

KM
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 17, 2006
"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

The system was bought with a Sempron 3000+ and it turned out that the user already had Photoshop 7.

When installed we carried out a simple text entry and gave it a shadow and embossed style. As soon as the second amendment was made the system froze. This happened three times with a reset needed to recover the system (WinXP).

Did you use the same font each time? Try using a different one.

I feared it was a hardware problem (faulty memory or CPU unable to carry out an instruction) so ran Memtest and a piece of software to put the Sempron under pressure. The tests were only done for a couple of hours so were not thorough but nothing showed as a problem, on the strength of that I started to think it was the Motherboard.

This sounds like it is a hardware problem, usually RAM or hard drive. With WXP, applications cannot freeze the system, requiring a reboot, as in earlier versions, an associated hardware or driver problem will.

This had all taken place in the evening. Next morning I gave it another run and the system got as far as Windows Desktop when it shut down and rebooted. This continued to happen until powered down. I assume that the WinXP files had been damaged because of the 3 resets needed the previous evening! I reinstalled the O/S and Photoshop.
I do not know how to test the Motherboard so looked at what else may be the cause and decided the graphics may be the root of the problem. The motherboard has "on board" graphics with 64mb memory so, on the face of it, should cope.

How much RAM has the system got, if you are seeing problems running PS7 you will see a whole lot more running 8 or 9.

Nevertheless I put in an AGP card with 128mb memory and everything worked satisfactorily. My hope is that this is the real solution and not just a temporary thing.

Depending on how much RAM you had originally, you have just given it 64mb more and that could make the difference.

MH
K
km
Mar 17, 2006
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:22:08 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

I am not 100% sure which font was used. It was random and as I hadn’t anticipated a problem I was not as calculated in pinning it down as I should have been.

This sounds like it is a hardware problem, usually RAM or hard drive. With WXP, applications cannot freeze the system, requiring a reboot, as in earlier versions, an associated hardware or driver problem will.
That was my immediate thought as well. After running the memory and CPU tests I ran out of ideas. As the installation of a Graphics card removed the initial problem I am hoping that there is no other cause. Not very scientific but was unsure what to do next as I have no other Motherboard available that is capable of testing the components.

How much RAM has the system got, if you are seeing problems running PS7 you will see a whole lot more running 8 or 9.
I put in 1GB of memory. The release of 64 mb from on-board graphics doesn’t really seem the issue. I am supposing that the on-board graphics have some other reason to cause the problem. I have handed the system over now so I await his experiences. I believe he will stick with Photoshop 7. He knows that the set up and test of Photoshop caused difficulties so I will now see what comes up in case more action is needed. The hardware tests revealed nothing and I am guessing that WinXP was damaged by the "freeze" and reboots. By reinstalling WinXP and having a fresh start everything appeared OK.

Depending on how much RAM you had originally, you have just given it 64mb more and that could make the difference.

MH
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

KM
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 17, 2006
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

I am not 100% sure which font was used. It was random and as I hadn’t anticipated a problem I was not as calculated in pinning it down as I should have been.

That was my immediate thought as well. After running the memory and CPU tests I ran out of ideas. As the installation of a Graphics card removed the initial problem I am hoping that there is no other cause. Not very scientific but was unsure what to do next as I have no other Motherboard available that is capable of testing the components.

I wouldn’t have thought so, XP is pretty robust, did you see any error screens prior to the welcome screen saying that you had configuration problems or missing or damaged dlls? If not, it is unlikely that the OS was the problem. Did you do a "clean" installation or over the top of the old one.See; http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp Did you install the M/B drivers/utilities after each reinstallation?

You’re welcome
Regards

Mike H
K
km
Mar 17, 2006
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:25:53 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

I wouldn’t have thought so, XP is pretty robust, did you see any error screens prior to the welcome screen saying that you had configuration problems or missing or damaged dlls? If not, it is unlikely that the OS was the problem. Did you do a "clean" installation or over the top of the old one.See; http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp Did you install the M/B drivers/utilities after each reinstallation?
When the problem occurred the screen froze. No movement with cursor. Reset button used to shut down and reboot. This happened three times with no error messages. I then ran mem86 test and a CPU utility to work it through a number of activities (run from a floppy disk). No adverse findings.

I then turned it on the following morning with it rebooting by itself as soon as the Windows Desktop appeared. It carried on through this cycle until I turned off the power.

Following this I did a full installation of WinXP going to the lengths of formatting the drive before a fresh install. All drivers for Motherboard, Graphics and Sound were loaded as soon as O/S in place.

I then installed new graphics card and drivers for the new Graphics card. System now working OK but I have this nagging doubt that something will raise its head soon, but for now I have told the user to use it and put it to the test.

KM

You’re welcome
Regards

Mike H
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 17, 2006
"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

This sounds like it is a hardware problem, usually RAM or hard drive. With WXP, applications cannot freeze the system, requiring a reboot, as in
earlier versions, an associated hardware or driver problem will.

I wouldn’t have thought so, XP is pretty robust, did you see any error screens prior to the welcome screen saying that you had configuration problems or missing or damaged dlls? If not, it is unlikely that the OS was
the problem. Did you do a "clean" installation or over the top of the old one.See; http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp Did you install the M/B drivers/utilities after each reinstallation?
When the problem occurred the screen froze. No movement with cursor. Reset button used to shut down and reboot. This happened three times with no error messages. I then ran mem86 test and a CPU utility to work it through a number of activities (run from a floppy disk). No adverse findings.

I then turned it on the following morning with it rebooting by itself as soon as the Windows Desktop appeared. It carried on through this cycle until I turned off the power.

Following this I did a full installation of WinXP going to the lengths of formatting the drive before a fresh install. All drivers for Motherboard, Graphics and Sound were loaded as soon as O/S in place.
I then installed new graphics card and drivers for the new Graphics card. System now working OK but I have this nagging doubt that something will raise its head soon, but for now I have told the user to use it and put it to the test.

I think you have done all you could, if not, you will be the second to know 😉

Regards

Mike H
K
km
Mar 17, 2006
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:22:56 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

"km" wrote in message

Thanks in anticipation.

KM

This sounds like it is a hardware problem, usually RAM or hard drive. With WXP, applications cannot freeze the system, requiring a reboot, as in
earlier versions, an associated hardware or driver problem will.

I wouldn’t have thought so, XP is pretty robust, did you see any error screens prior to the welcome screen saying that you had configuration problems or missing or damaged dlls? If not, it is unlikely that the OS was
the problem. Did you do a "clean" installation or over the top of the old one.See; http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp Did you install the M/B drivers/utilities after each reinstallation?

I think you have done all you could, if not, you will be the second to know 😉

Regards

Mike H
Cheers

Kevin McGee

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections