DK
Posted By
Dustin_Krysak
Aug 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there, I am currently working on a project when i am having to cut out some objects for use in a collage. This collage will be printed in a size of approximately 160CM tall. Now my source files are large enough, but here is my question: What is the best way to cut them out so they look good in print? I usually use the pen tool and create a path… then make the path a selection – then feather by .5 of a pixel. Now I guess my only real concern is this – should i set my path right on the edge of the object? Or bring it just inside the object? IS there a better way to do this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Aug 21, 2004
sounds like you have everything under control.

I’d be right on the edge.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Aug 21, 2004
I cut paths just a little tiny bit inside the object.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
If both the existing background of the picture and the final one of the layout are light, make the path on the pixel just outside the object. If the layout is dark, stay as close to the edge but favor the inside pixels if you must.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Aug 22, 2004
I also wonder if the .5 feather for your selection might be a little too crisp to look natural; a slightly softer feather might look more natural…perhaps 1 pixel. What the objects are being placed on, how large they are, the resolution, all go into the mix, but most important is using your eye.
DK
Dustin_Krysak
Aug 22, 2004
perfect! thanks for the feedback!
B
Buko
Aug 23, 2004
I also take my eraser after cutting out the image. and custom erase to make it perfect.
P
progress
Aug 23, 2004
you can always test them by making a layer path from the path against a target background.

the best method is whatever works 🙂
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 23, 2004
The eraser may work, but doesn’t make it perfect : )
Try airbrushing a mask made from the path!
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 26, 2004
This has been a great thread to read all these tips. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m starting to get a little better at doing this thanks to several of these suggested techniques.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections