BL
Posted By
Bill_Lukefahr
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One two machines I have PhotoShop CS installed + OS X 10.3.5 and the font menu is incomplete. There are a large number of fonts installed, but the show correctly in Illustrator and InDesign (and everything else).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Aug 20, 2004
Please do a forum search on key words like Photoshop font limit. It has been discussed here innumerable times.

Bottom line: You have way too many fonts active. That’s a bad idea in the first place. Get a font management utility (like FontAgent Pro) and activate only those fonts you need for the job.
B
Buko
Aug 21, 2004
Get a Font Manager

Only activate the fonts you need.
BL
Bill_Lukefahr
Aug 21, 2004
Font managers are annoying. Every other app on the machine works fine, including all other Adobe apps.

Ah well.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 21, 2004
The one that everyone here is recommending works seamlessly—and is not in the least "annoying"!
Give the Free Trial version a whirl and see what you think.
BL
Bill_Lukefahr
Aug 21, 2004
I’ve used font managers for fifteen years. I find the whole idea annoying. 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 21, 2004
Having several thousand fonts showing-up in an Application’s font menu?

Now THAT I would find REALLY "annoying"!
B
Buko
Aug 22, 2004
If you’ve been using font managers for 15 years you should know what your fonts look like and activating them in FAP is easy.

Also if the font has already been used Auto Font Activation works flawlessly.

I agree with Ann in post #6
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 26, 2004
I’m curious as to what happened at Adobe in this area. Why would only PS not support numerous fonts but all the other apps seem to handle them fine. Whether your preference is to have 6 fonts or 6000, I think on a more fundamental level, PS should have the same expected behavior as the other Adobe apps.
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
Jeff.

While I very seldom use text in Photoshop, I agree with you. This font limit has been there at least since Photoshop 7, and Adobe certainly knows about it. I’m not aware of any comment in this regard coming from Adobe.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 26, 2004
Photoshop doesn’t have a font limit…
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
Then what’s the issue, Chris? Just about everybody sees it.
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 26, 2004
Perhaps Chris is right. PS may not have a font limit, but perhaps PS also does not work well with Apple’s home-grown FontBook utility. PS is unable to show all my fonts on both my work and home machines. Somewhere there is an explination I’m guessing.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 26, 2004
Ramon – more like a menu limit that’s not so easy to deal with, plus FontBook (which we try to work with), plus fonts with bad encodings, plus fonts with bad info (usually shareware), plus…..
R
Ram
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks, Chris.

How do InDesign and Illustrator deal with this? All fonts show up there.

I have only good quality fonts (mostly Adobe) and I saw this in Photoshop 7.0.1 in Mac OS 9.2.2 (no FontBook there) when I had too many fonts activated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections