MP
Posted By
Marilyn_Pot
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to take a class at the local high school. They do not offer Photo Shop Element class only Adobe 7.0. Would this help me or would I really become confused. I know I need help in using my program. This seems my only solution.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

ML
Marty_Landolt
Jan 23, 2004
Marilyn, I wondered the same thing. My niece did just that and learned a lot of neat things but still said she liked Elements better. She found the full Photoshop to be much more complicated.
Nevertheless, she was glad she took that course. Good luck. Marty
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 23, 2004
Hi Marilyn, I started here, with PSE, not the big Photoshop, that comes later,,,,,, <http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_basics1.htm>
then I got a few books,
then I took a class at our local school, but the BEST learning experience that I have ever had with PSE classes is here,
< http://www.eclecticacademy.com/graphics.htm#pselements-groun dup> I am still taking classes here constantly.
And right here in this forum, you will find wonderful help and answers to questions. Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 23, 2004
It’s difficult to say. Depends upon the approach of the instructor. If you don’t know what Photoshop has that you will be missing in elements than it might be confusing. However, you will still learn more than what you would learn if you didn’t attend the class. Is there any way to ask the instructor in advance?

In addition, there are add on tools to Elements that you will learn about in a Photoshop class, such as Curves, Channel Seperations, etc.

You can find these extra tools at hiddenelements.com and or Shipley’s tools
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Jan 24, 2004
I took a Photoshop 5 class at my local commnity college a couple of years ago. The instructor took us through a workbook, a lesson at a time. It was deadly boring but I did learn a few things about layers and gradients and such. It was on a bad night for me to make every class, so I stopped going, promising myself to go through the rest of the lessons on my own.

Now…where did I put that PS 5.0 workbook………..?

🙂

Steve
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 24, 2004
Marilyn,

Why not try doing a tutorial from one of the internet sites … you do learn a lot from them. If you do try one then tell us which one you are doing and probably several of us will try it out. That way if anyone gets stuck we can all help.

Wendy
MT
Myron Thorner
Jan 24, 2004
One internet site is HP’s. They provide free classes, and there is one now for PSE

http://www.hplearningcenter.com/?mcID=em15

wrote in message
Marilyn,

Why not try doing a tutorial from one of the internet sites … you do
learn a lot from them. If you do try one then tell us which one you are doing and probably several of us will try it out. That way if anyone gets stuck we can all help.
Wendy
B
buz
Jan 24, 2004
Steve – Your PS5 Classroom in a Book (Mines called PS 5 Studio Techniques) is probably in the same place as mine – on the upper shelf (a bit out of sight) collecting valuable dust. <grin>

I have yet to work through my two PSE books, PSE2 Solutions and Hidden Power of PSE2.

As usual my complant is not having any time to do the things I want to do such as become a PSE2 expert like so many of you at this forum.

Buz
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 24, 2004
Marilyn, just my 2 cents…unless you plan on upgrading to full photoshop i would not recommend you take the full photoshop class to use towards learning Elements. Though Elements is a powerful program you will be disapointed with the fact that alot of the goodie tools you may (probably) learn about in full PS courses like the healing brush/patch,paths, channels, creating your own actions and layer styles…to name a few is not included in the off the shelf version of photoshop Elements. Now, don’t misunderstand, Photoshop Elements is a fantastic program that i would recommend to everyone intersted in photo enhancements, manipulations etc…not to mention creating your own graphics etc…but i think you would be much better off finding courses/tutorials that teach Elements as opposed to full PS. Here is a great place to start…at the bottom of page;

<http://www.arraich.com/table_of_contents.htm>

….and remember we are usually here 24/7 to answer your questions. Once you get the hang of this program you’ll realize it’s not so overwhelming afterall.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections