P
Posted By
Pedro
Feb 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am interested in opinions regarding the best photo organizer software. It is time I got all my photos organized, and this group knows a lot about that subject. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pedro

To contact me directly by email, please remove the words "NO" and "SPAM" from the reply address above.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Jaap
Feb 21, 2006
I like ACDSee, very nice to use.

www.acdsystems.com

Try the 30 days version!

"Pedro" schreef in bericht
I am interested in opinions regarding the best photo organizer software. It is time I got all my photos organized, and this group knows a lot about that subject. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pedro

To contact me directly by email, please remove the words "NO" and "SPAM" from the reply address above.
C
Clyde
Feb 21, 2006
Pedro wrote:

Thanks.

Pedro

Bridge. Well, I don’t know if it is the "best", but it’s the one I use. I haven’t found any that I would switch to.

I guess it depends on what you want an photo organizer to do. I use the Windows folder system for the root of my organization, so I’m not looking for an organizer that uses its own file and folder system.

I need to be able to see my photos in a small size with a bunch on the screen. I also need to see them with a quick, large preview. Ideally this should easily be configurable.

I need it to associate file types to what I want it to open with. Ideally, these associations need to be separate from the Windows associations. For example, in Windows I want JPEG files to open in my browser. In the organizer I want JPEG files to open in my editor. I also want to be able to open an AI file in CorelDraw or in Photoshop.

I also want to run Photoshop batches from my organizer. It is where I look at files and Photoshop is what I use to edit them; the two had better work together in batch mode.

Of course, there is all the normal stuff like being able to view EXIF and other metadata. I should be able to rename, delete, copy, and move stuff inside the organizer. It should do this without screwing up itself or Windows.

Bridge does all this for me and does it very well. It is fast, simple, and does everything I want. OK, it is a little slow in the cataloging process, but I very rarely have it catalog hundreds of pictures at once. If I do, I plan for the time for it to run.

I haven’t found anything else that will do all this and do it better – for free. Apple’s Aperture looks very nice, but I would have to move back to Macs AND pay $500. Besides its editing features aren’t close to Photoshop’s.

Clyde

PS – I do use Copernic Desktop Search for my searching.
K
Kingdom
Feb 21, 2006
Pedro wrote in
news::

Thanks.

Pedro

ACDSee rocks but get V5.00 after that it gets worse again.

‘Mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest of them all?’ ‘Snow White you dirty bitch and don’t you forget it!’
MH
Mike Hyndman
Feb 21, 2006
"Pedro" wrote in message

Thanks.

Pedro

Pedro,

Check out Picasa at http://picasa.google.com/index.html

MH
WK
William Kazak
Feb 22, 2006
The best photo organizer is your brain,lots of computer memory and lots of big HD’s.
Adobe Bridge can let you see every folder in thumbs versions, including PSD.You can even adjust the thumbs as to viewing size.
I use ABC View just to check for duplicates.
http://www.abc-view.com/abcview.html

The way you name your pics is using your brain.
The extra HD’s are to create backups.
A
apon
Feb 22, 2006
I do agree that the ACDSee is one of the best candidates.
RL
Reverend Luv Butter
Feb 22, 2006
Jaap wrote:
I like ACDSee, very nice to use.

www.acdsystems.com

Try the 30 days version!

"Pedro" schreef in bericht

Thanks.

Pedro

ACDSee is nice, but if you have lots of files, it SUCKS! I personally store over 500,000 photo files on my computer. ACDSee cannot handle it. If you have a few hundred and not too many stored in the same folders ACDSee will rock your world. Thumbs + works better all the way around than ACDSee does and it is more stable. In my opinion anyway.

Thumbs + www.cerious.com
C
Clyde
Feb 23, 2006
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"Pedro" wrote in message

Thanks.

Pedro

Pedro,

MH

It used to not open a file in Photoshop. If that is still the case, what is the point?

Clyde
MH
Mike Hyndman
Feb 23, 2006
"Clyde" wrote in message
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"Pedro" wrote in message

Thanks.

Pedro

Pedro,

MH

It used to not open a file in Photoshop. If that is still the case, what is the point?

To OP didn’t specify a file format and in the world of digital images, PSD’s must count for a very (cap v) percentage. I bet all his stuff is JPG.

MH
MH
Mike Hyndman
Feb 23, 2006
"Clyde" wrote in message
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"Pedro" wrote in message

Thanks.

Pedro

Pedro,

MH

Breaking news,
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=27977& amp;query=PSD&topic=0&type=f

MH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections