SC
Posted By
Steve_C._Holderman
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running osx 10.2.8 and have increasingly more occurances with freezes (colorful carosel "sits and spins" forever but mouse moves) when reading from or writing to a Microsoft network server. In order to do my job I have to do it, there’s no escaping having to access images on the server running Microsoft 2000 operating system. I convinced my bosses before I was hired that a Mac can co-exist peacefully within a company running on pc computers on a Microsoft network. At first I noticed that it happened when using the photoshop file browser to view images at a network location. So I quit using file browser and started using the open command exclusively when opening a files on the server. When this freeze occurs, I can force quit, but eventually have to do a hard system restart (hit and hold the power button until it switches off) because after doing a force quit, my other running programs do the same thing (sit and spin). Any ideas on how to solve? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 19, 2004
You have to use the server – but that doesn’t dictate how you use the server. Copy to the desktop, edit, then copy back to the server. (this applies to any platform, any server)

As for the freezes – that can only be due to the OS or server problem.

10.2.8 could be part of it – you should be running 10.3.5 by now.
SC
Steve_C._Holderman
Aug 19, 2004
Thanks for that, Chris.
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Chris has given you the definitive answer.

Just to elaborate a bit, here’s the boiler-text macro I use to reply to a poster when this comes up:

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.
SC
Steve_C._Holderman
Aug 19, 2004
Thanks for that, Ramon.
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
You’re welcome, Steve.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 20, 2004
I don’t know about "definitive" — I occasionally miss things…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections