PD
Posted By
Pete_D
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hate to sound like advertising but I can’t think of another way to say this that does not sound like advertising. I can say that I have no affiliation with either Target or Kodak.

I have used a film send out service for years for film because there is only one only place local that will do glossy prints, … and it is also the most expensive.

Found out today that Target stores can print glossy prints and even better they have lowered their "scan negatives to CD" price to $3.99. The CD label has thumbnails on it! And for a buck or so they will provide what they call a folio for your negatives. That package for the negatives also has thumbnails.

And if you want a higher resolution just ask! No extra charge! However the file size on the two I just got increased only from 642kb to 825kb; both jpg images (example only. the image files range from 500kb low res to 990kb high res). Size is appx 3 1/2 x 5 1/8 at 300ppi. I have to talk to them about that and see if there is not an even higher resolution.

As my Georgia bubs used to say I am as happy as a pig in crap. (they did not say crap,… you know what they said:)

Pete

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 22, 2004
Pete, good for you. Be happy, stay happy…whatever works hon.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 22, 2004
Mud?
PD
Pete_D
Jan 23, 2004
Mud?

Byron,

Close. But not.
PD
Pete_D
Jan 23, 2004
OK. Getting into these CD’s I am finding some color problems. Maybe it was my film, maybe something else I could have controlled. But the higher res images have totally different colors and a horizontal wide line so I suspect the scanner at the lab.

I need to try them again. Results are probably going to vary from lab to lab so try your locale.
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 23, 2004
Pete,

When I started out working, my boss was a guy who spent nine years of his youth in Georgia, Fort Benning and Georgia Tech. If I remember correctly, it should be "… as happy a pig in sh*t." Or am I even close?

Shan
PD
Pete_D
Jan 23, 2004
Yeah, you got it Shan.

I used to do business with Ft Benning and would go there every few weeks. Regrettable never had time to play one of their golf courses that are on that base. That is a huge facility even after their population was cut back in the late 80’s, brining it down to the size of a good sized city.

pete
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 23, 2004
wrote:
Hate to sound like advertising but I can’t think of another way to say this that does not sound like advertising. I can say that I have no affiliation with either Target or Kodak.

I have used a film send out service for years for film because there is only one only place local that will do glossy prints, … and it is also the most expensive.

Found out today that Target stores can print glossy prints and even better they have lowered their "scan negatives to CD" price to $3.99. The CD label has thumbnails on it! And for a buck or so they will provide what they call a folio for your negatives. That package for the negatives also has thumbnails.

And if you want a higher resolution just ask! No extra charge! However the file size on the two I just got increased only from 642kb to 825kb; both jpg images (example only. the image files range from 500kb low res to 990kb high res). Size is appx 3 1/2 x 5 1/8 at 300ppi. I have to talk to them about that and see if there is not an even higher resolution.

Tried Picture CD a few times, from Kodak and also from Target. I think they are 1536×1024 resolution.

I gave Target two sets of recent negatives to scan, and paid about $10 for the CD. The thumbs are printed on the CD, which is very helpful. However, they did not clean or dust, and it is obvious.

I was more impressed with the Kodak Picture CD results. They include a print with incorporates the thumbs. The results are clearly better. I can understand why.

I’ll take another batch to Target and see if I get better results this time. For $4, you can’t go wrong.

Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections