SW
Posted By
Scott_Whittle
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m retouching a number of 200MB drum scans–I’d like to FIRST crop and spot (takes about an hour for each photo) and THEN curves/color correct. The problem is that some of the original scans are dark–I want to temporarily change the levels so that I can see the dust to spot and edges to crop, and then put the levels back where they were. If I put up an adjustment layer, the healing brush uses the adjusted levels as its source, so that doesn’t seem to work. Is there a way to do this? PLEASE DON’T TELL ME TO CHANGE MY WORKFLOW–I’M DOING ALL THIS FOR A GOOD REASON. Thanks for any and all help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 17, 2004
Clean your scanner and film; use the cloning tool (not all layers); change the monitor’s Gamma (not that monitor, the other one : )…
J
jonf
Aug 17, 2004
I’m not sure if this is the best way, but I add a layer above the image. Fill it with white. Set the transparency mode to soft light. (Adjust opacity as necessary.) Then do your spotting on the image layer. You can delete the white layer any time you want and your original levels have been unchanged on the image layer. The white layer seems to have no effect on the healing brush.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 17, 2004
If I put up an adjustment layer, the healing brush uses the adjusted levels as its source, so that doesn’t seem to work.

I tried this also, and it worked fine. The healing brush only used the selected layer.

Carl.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 17, 2004
Carl, you have the Healing brush’s Use All Layers in the Options Bar deselected, right?
FP
frank_parker
Aug 21, 2004
Hello Scott,
I’m having the same type of problem. Read my message – have you figured out a way – are our problem(s) the same.

Frank Parker
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 22, 2004
The F-ing problem is the inability to suppress color adjustment layers when using the clone stamp or healing tool!

Someone please ram this down Adobes throat on the next release!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 22, 2004
But if Scott adopts Jonf’s suggestion and uses a white-filled Softlight layer to temporarily lighten the appearance of the image (INSTEAD of using an Adjustment layer);
and sets his cloning or healing tools to NOT "Use All Layers" (while painting on the image layer NOT the white layer):
he will find that it will work perfectly and that his retouching will still match when he removes the white-filled layer.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 22, 2004
Retouching, in my world, is on a separate editable layer due to so many cooks in the kitchen with one file and all the rounds that transpire. Therefore, it will not fly.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
Mike, You can deactivate the irrelevant layers before cloning or you can use two layers in one layer cloning mode.
(that’s a PITA because you have to keep going back and forth between the source layer and the target, but it can be done).
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 23, 2004
Yea, I know the work arounds and they suck!

I don’t have time to turn off 50 color adjustment layers to do a retouch repair.

It makes no sense the way in which the application engineers have left out a very important concept in how workflows are preformed in a commercial sector.

Think in layer sets.

One for color and one for pixel edits. The two_NEED_to be separate for many reasons!

If you screw up a retouching section and you cloned to another layer with color adjustments active, AND then need to change the color AND/OR the image data, or do a sectional, your file quickly becomes a basket case and the next poor sole that picks up your work is screwed!
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 23, 2004
Been there, done that!
I have work-arounds to… work-arounds : )

Maybe defining a layer or folder as source for the cloning tool would work.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Aug 23, 2004
To go back to the original question…

One relatively easy method is to create a profile with a gamma of around 1.0-1.4, then load that profile in Proof Setup.

To create the profile:

1.) Open Color Settings.

2.) Click the Advanced checkbox if it isn’t already checked.

3.) Choose Custom RGB from the RGB Working Space menu.

4.) In the resulting dialog, change the gamma to 1.0 (or whatever you prefer), and change the name to something like Adobe RGB Gamma 1.0, and click OK.

5.) Choose Save RGB from the RGB Working Space menu.

6.) Click Cancel to exit the Color Settings dialog without screwing up your settings.

To use the profile, choose View>Proof Setup, check Preserve Color Numbers, and load the profile. It gives you a hefty lightening, for display only.

This works for RGB scans. To do the same thing for CMYK, create a CMYK profile with dot gain close to zero. Everything else works the same.

This approach has the advantage of not adding anything to the file and hence not increasing file size, and you can toggle it on and off by pressing Command-Y. It’s neutral wrt putting the retouches on a separate layer or burning them into the file. It takes a little setup, but the setup time is trivial compared to spotting a 200MB file then having to go back and redo it because you missed some dust…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 24, 2004
All I need is a check box in the tool palette Bruce to suppress the color layer adjustments.

simple / stupid
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 24, 2004
I like to see how color managment can solve seemingly unrelated problems!
P
progress
Aug 24, 2004
I second the need for tools to ignore colour adjustement layers…happens with the eyedropper as well, hence you need to turn a CA layer off just to nick something out…its a royal PITA to keep having to do it over and over again.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 24, 2004
I need to retouch, see the changes being applied to the image while the color adjustments are active, AND, not have the adjustments affect the retouch!

Bruce, Please push for this in Alpha!

mo

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections